Best GF team of 2000s - only premiership players

Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Dustin Fletcher (Ess), Mathew Scarlett (Geel), Corey Enright (Geel)
HB: Darren Glass (WCE), Alex Rance (Rich), Luke Hodge (Haw)
C: Byron Pickett (Port), Shaun Burgoyne (Port & Haw), James Bartel (Geel)
CHF: Jason Akermanis (Bris), Lance Franklin (Haw), Paul Chapman (Geel)
FF: Steve Johnson (Geel), Jonathan Brown (Bris), Cyril Rioli (Haw)
Ruc: Dean Cox (WCE), Michael Voss (Bris) , Chris Judd (WCE)
Int: Adam Goodes (Syd), Dane Swan (Coll), Sam Mitchell (Haw), Dustin Martin (Rich)

All up
1x Essendon
1x Collingwood
2x Richmond
2x Sydney
3x West Coast
3x Brisbane
2x Port Adelaide
5x Hawthorn
5x Geelong

Norm Smiths: 9
Brownlow medalists: 10

Stiff to miss, and theres plenty
Hird, Hardwick, Lloyd, Long.
Black, A lynch, Power
Dew, Tredrea, Wanganeen
Barry, Hall, Bolton, Kirk, Jolly, okeefe, mcveigh, malceski
Embley
Crawford, Bateman, Croade, Lake, Gibson, Lewis, Roughead, Hill
Ling, Kelly, Mooney, Mackie, Selwood
Beams, Pendlebury, shaw

B: Enright - Rance - C Bolton
HB: Hodge - Scarlett - H Shaw
C: Swan - Mitchell - Kerr
HF: Cousins - J Brown - Hird
F: D Martin - Lloyd - Franklin
R: Cox - S Black - Ablett
Int: Akermanis - Goodes - Pendlebury - Voss

2nd choice -

B: C Johnson - Glass - Gibson
HB: Wanganeen - Leppitsch - C Cornes
C: N Lappin - J Selwood - Bartel
HF: Bontempelli - Tredrea - C Rioli
F: S Johnson - Hall - Power
R: Ottens - Judd - S Burgoyne
Int: D Fletcher - O’Keefe - Roughead - Chapman

Apologies to Lake, but D Fletcher has to get the nod in the seconds at worst. Craig Bolton will definitely be the most contentious of my picks but I wanted a medium/tall lock down defender and he fit the bill the best.

Marry Boyd out for Wanganeen too, who was definitely an oversight. Probably switch him and Bolton in an ideal world but I like the balance the way it is.

Hannebery is bloody stiff to miss the seconds too, don’t see where to fit him though.

Cotchin and J Riewoldt would have to push the best 44 too.

Last edited:

One from each premiership team

B|Wanganeen|Scarlett|Enright
\HB|Mitchell|Hodge|Boyd
\C|Swan|Voss|Black
\HF|Franklin|Hall|Akermanis
\F|Rioli|Lloyd|Martin
\R|Goodes|Judd|Ablett
Not happy with a few positions but it's hard to give all of them their best roles.

Last edited:
We had 17 Norm Smith winners in a winning team since 2000:

Pickett Scarlett Enright
Johannisen Lake Hodge
Black Bartel Pendlebury
Hird Lloyd Martin
Johnson Franklin Chapman
Cox Judd Black

Hart O'Keefe Rioli Embley

Needed to add Key forward (Lloyd played little in 2000s but probably had the best finals output together with Franklin), a ruck (Cox an obvious choice) and some defender (Enright probably the Gary Ablett among small defenders and Scarlett for long time perforcmance and number of Gf wins).
Actually quite alot of Fp/HFF type players among the medalists.

Surely only an ok team against most others here.

Ps Adding Hayes and Buckley would mean playing Hird as CHF and Bartel of HB instead of Enright in the BP with Hodge taking that position)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needed to add Key forward (Lloyd played little in 2000s but probably had the best finals output together with Franklin), a ruck (Cox an obvious choice) and some defender (Enright probably the Gary Ablett among small defenders and Scarlett for long time perforcmance and number of Gf wins).
Actually quite alot of Fp/HFF type players among the medalists.

Surely only an ok team against most others here.

Ps Adding Hayes and Buckley would mean playing Hird as CHF and Bartel of HB instead of Enright in the BP with Hodge taking that position)

Sam Mitchell was robbed of 2 x Norm Smiths. He should have been one of your additional selections.

Find it strange to see some people’s teams lacking one D.Martin when the bloke willed his team to a premiership while having the best season of all time, but hey each to their own.

Find it strange to see some people’s teams lacking one D.Martin when the bloke willed his team to a premiership while having the best season of all time, but hey each to their own.

You wonder why people can't take you seriously?

Hardwick Scarlett Wanganeen
Enright Leppitsch Hodge
Cousins Voss Judd
Ablett Franklin Mercuri
Akermanis Lloyd S.Johnson
Cox Hird Mitchell
S.Burgoyne Black Chapman Goodes.
Christ what a coaches nightmare

You wouldnt sleep a wink trying to think of a matchup against that??

How about a team picked from players not already selected there to try and beat it

Christ what a coaches nightmare

You wouldnt sleep a wink trying to think of a matchup against that??

How about a team picked from players not already selected there to try and beat it
Challenge accepted

Rampe Glass C.Johnson
Birchall Rance Malceski
D.Thomas J.Bolton Misiti
D.Martin Tredrea Parker
Rioli Lynch Bradshaw
Jolly Pendlebury Kerr
Embley Kelly Swan N.Lappin

One from each premiership team

B|Wanganeen|Scarlett|Enright
\HB|Mitchell|Hodge|Boyd
\C|Swan|Voss|Black
\HF|Franklin|Hall|Akermanis
\F|Rioli|Lloyd|Martin
\R|Goodes|Judd|Ablett
Not happy with a few positions but it's hard to give all of them their best roles.

Nice but I'd probably take Rance over Martin, if only to cover for that being a very short backline and as a flow on swap Boyd for Bontempelli.

Nice but I'd probably take Rance over Martin, if only to cover for that being a very short backline and as a flow on swap Boyd for Bontempelli.

Fair enough. Experimented with Rance and Fletcher at CHB but couldn't make it work. Didn't consider Bontempelli as he hasn't earned his stripes yet in this company - only Scarlett, Enright and Rioli have fewer Brownlow votes, and the other 15 have considerably more (40+).

Gave some thought to Burgoyne in place of Rioli but it seemed a bit forced. Hodge in his prime could hold down CHB, and Black on a wing was the other one I had trouble finding a position for.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Experimented with Rance and Fletcher at CHB but couldn't make it work. Didn't consider Bontempelli as he hasn't earned his stripes yet in this company - only Scarlett, Enright and Rioli have fewer Brownlow votes, and the other 15 have considerably more (40+).

Gave some thought to Burgoyne in place of Rioli but it seemed a bit forced. Hodge in his prime could hold down CHB, and Black on a wing was the other one I had trouble finding a position for.

Yeah, Bont was really the weak element of that.

My reasoning all stemmed from how to fix the short backline, and replacing Martin with Rance was an obvious option.
Once I'd decided on that, in order to give Rance a spot it was either replace Boyd or move Mitchell and I confess I didn't look into the options there as much as I could of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back