Best grand final of the millennium so far?

Which grand final was the best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 grand final by a country mile. No grand final has ever had a goal kicked so late in the match to take the lead.

Factor in that wce were 5 goals down in the first quarter as well, some great individual performances, de goeys long bombs, the Collingwood banner falling apart before the game, McGovern injury, Eddies tears after the sheed goal when he realises they can’t win haha. That sheed goal will be replayed for decades.

I think 2018 as a game. Surprisingly, the Swans-Eagles of 2005-2006 were similarly close and similar scores, but rate far lower in terms of 'neutral watchability'.

2011 and 2016 are my other favourites.

Even as a Tiger supporter, I admit that neither 2017 or 2019 reached any great heights. Some of 2019 was breathtaking when Richmond got their ball movement through the middle going, but it was like putting on a demo.

If I was showing someone new an entire game, I'd show them 2012. So many great moments, comebacks, great commentary capping off with a close game with Malceski kicking a great sealer - "is that the grand final?! Sydney are premiers!"

I feel it's underrated because both teams had already been up there recently and there wasn't really an underdog/drought breaking story to it. (Although I do love those ones , 2016 and the finish of 2005 are some of my favorites)

1. 2012 - terrific grand final
2. 2011 - greatest 3.5 quarters, just the last 15 minutes means it doesn't get number 1 billing. So underrated
3. 2018 - unlucky to be 3rd
4. 2016
5. 2009

Would rewatch all those 5 on numerous occasions.

Then 2002, 2005, 2006, 2010 drawn are all ok, but mainly just for being close games rather than genuinely good games. Leo Barry elevates 2005 and Goddard elevates 2010 drawn but they are specific moments. Would rewatch for the knowledge of how they end

2001, 2004, 2008 were decent games but not showpieces. Would sit down and rewatch if I had nothing else on.

2000, 2003, 2007, 2010 replay, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019 I wouldn't bother rewatching. Blowouts or in the case of 2013 a very obvious result (Hawthorn win) from early on, just took 3 hours to get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love 2018 - watched it numerous times - but what stops it from being one of the greats for me is that I really don’t think Collingwood played all that well. They had that awesome start, but after that Eagles were clearly the better side. If it weren’t for their poor start, west coast would have been a four goal better side.

As opposed to 2009, 2011, 2012 where it was two very good sides battling each other and had constant momentum swings and lead changes.

Still an amazing grand final but it just doesn’t rank as one of the true greats.

2012 is my favourite non-Eagles GF. Pendulum swings, lead changes, Swans 2nd and 3rd quarter surge, Hawks fight back, Goodes on one leg, Jetta and Cyril sprint down the GSS, Malceski’s snap. It had it all

2018 for me hands down. 5 goals down in the first, win by 5. Dom Sheed’s clutch goal was the icing on the cake beating Collingwood at the G in a Grand Final.

2006 - the sequel was just as good as the original. The 5 minute warning on Ten made the last few minutes stressful

Back