Best grand final of the millennium so far?

Which grand final was the best?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is 2018 so highly rated?

It was one of the least intense games of them all imo. A snoozefest. Watching the game it's a low intensity low skilled match full of clangers, you'd be half alseep by the time you realized it was close the entire time and the other team snatched it. Neither team wanted it badly enough and hardly any players putting themselves on the line.

If you watched nothing but the scoreboard the entire game then yeah.. watching the players I'd argue it was worse than 2005. It had that vibe

2009 or 2010 Grand Finals. Because it's that rare to get 2 elite in-form teams on the day.

Why is 2018 so highly rated?

It was one of the least intense games of them all imo. A snoozefest. Watching the game it's a low intensity low skilled match full of clangers, you'd be half alseep by the time you realized it was close the entire time and the other team snatched it. Neither team wanted it badly enough and hardly any players putting themselves on the line.

If you watched nothing but the scoreboard the entire game then yeah.. watching the players I'd argue it was worse than 2005. It had that vibe

The first and last 5 minutes of the final quarter is enough to make it a classic.

Surprised 05 and 06 have so few votes. I was tossing up between 06 and 18, and that's trying to be objective, as contests they were cracking, with many see-saws. But pretty much all of the close ones were good. 2009 and 2010 would be up there, 2012, 2016. So I'd say:

As a story 2016 was hard to beat.
That’s the bias speaking. 2006 isn’t in the class of 2011 - nowhere near it. Yet somehow you couldn’t even find a place on your list for that.

2008-2012: What a magnificent set of grand finals they were!

Each had the best two teams and were very high quality contests* (2010 replay from memory wasn't a contest after Heath Shaw's smother). 08 and 09 the favourite's inaccuracy kept their opponents in the match to their peril, 2011 was just a stunning match probably the highest quality gf I've seen and 2012 what a journey that was as a neutral. Weirdly, the 2010 draw I enjoyed the least but the narrative of the finish is memorable.

2011 is my pick narrowly ahead of 2012.

Last edited:
Has to be 2008, as the purest expression of victory of good over evil.

Seriously though, 2018 was terrific and the look on Eddie's face at the end never fails to make me chuckle. Dom Sheed's goal will love in footy folklore forever.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be 2008, as the purest expression of victory of good over evil.

Seriously though, 2018 was terrific and the look on Eddie's face at the end never fails to make me chuckle. Dom Sheed's goal will love in footy folklore forever.
If good triumphed over evil why did Hawthorn win?

Anyway, my list would be:

Back