Best grand final of the modern era (since 1998)

Best grand final of the modern era/since 1998

• 2000 - Essendon vs Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2001 - Essendon vs Brisbane

• 2004 - Port Adelaide vs Brisbane

• 2007 - Geelong vs Port Adelaide

• 2013 - Hawthorn vs Fremantle

• 2015 - Hawthorn vs West Coast

• 2017 - Adelaide vs Richmond

• 2019 - Richmond vs GWS

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

White Dogg

Debutant
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Which grand final is the best grand final of the modern era and why? I've included grand finals from 1998 onwards as that's how many grand finals the forum allows me to include in the poll.

Makeshift Park

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As much as Toump Ass has proven himself as a person of upstanding integrity in the nongender thread, it would be nice if something in the backend of this site used people's club affiliation to preclude them from voting for their favourites in polls like these.

BigVic

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Chelsea, GS Warriors
The previous year was a typical Paul Roos coached game saved for Leo Barry’s mark. Amazing contest with Judd, Cousins, Cox and Kerr on fire. The last quarter was one of the best last quarters in V/AFL grand final history with the Eagles hanging on to win by a point.

random260

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
2021 is very underrated. I have never seen two teams be so strong duke it out. Both teams especially bulldog got there because they are strong.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
2009 and 2010, we played in the two of the best GFs of all time and all we got was a loss and a draw.

Peak St Kilda.

Cursed Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm partial to 2009, but if you want to showcase the game then 2011.
2018 also very entertaining.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think the 2012 Grand Final is in the conversation here but I did not pick that as I am biased so instead I went with what I think was the best Grand Final not involving Sydney so that was the 2018 Grand Final between West Coast and Collingwood.

DieSwans

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Melb Renegades
Why is 2009 getting votes?

From memory, it was a fairly shitty game in the wet.

Even if it wasn't as bad as I remember, in no world was it the best of modern era...or close

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Xtreme

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The defending premier not the preferred victor among the media and general public. Many wanting "Buddy's Swans" to get the victory. The deck was stacked against the Hawks. But on a perfect day for football, Hawthorn shut down the Swans gameplan, while executing their own to perfection scoring the upset victory and going back to back!

Hands down the best game of AFL football I have ever seen.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle

The defending premier not the preferred victor among the media and general public. Many wanting "Buddy's Swans" to get the victory. The deck was stacked against the Hawks. But on a perfect day for football, Hawthorn shut down the Swans gameplan, while executing their own to perfection scoring the upset victory and going back to back!

Don’t ever let that chip off your shoulder go!!

kranky al

Deconfibulator for a wopthruster
Jun 30, 2009
Greenough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth www.pixelpac.com.au

Deck was stacked against the hawks?

Really?

Were you playing it in sydney on sydneys home ground?

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
The defending premier not the preferred victor among the media and general public.
Just like 2013 too hey?.. according to hawks supporters you weren’t the preferred premier then either !

Some going as so far as to try and rewrite history and pretend that the hawks were in fact underdogs going into that game despite NO betting agencies/media anywhere, ever, having hawks underdogs.

Imagine the media also promoting the opposition and not simply fawning over the HFC and it’s supporters in absolute adulation!!… the audacity!!!

Hopefully they ll make a movie someday about the great David and Goliath battle of the HFC waged against (and won)the AFL/media/non vic sides/anyone else who ever didn’t fawn over the HFC

Maybe then insecure hawks fans can move on….

Xtreme

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just like 2013 too hey?.. according to hawks supporters you weren’t the preferred premier then either !

Imagine the media also promoting the opposition and not simply fawning over the HFC and it’s supporters in absolute adulation!!… the audacity!!!

Hopefully they ll make a movie someday about the great David and Goliath battle of the HFC waged against (and won)the AFL/media/non vic sides/anyone else who ever didn’t fawn over the HFC

Maybe then insecure hawks fans can move on….

According to the media Hawthorn were no match for Freo's manic pressure or the Eagle's web in 2015...............