Best grand final of the modern era (since 1998)

Best grand final of the modern era/since 1998

• 2007 - Geelong vs Port Adelaide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2013 - Hawthorn vs Fremantle

• 2015 - Hawthorn vs West Coast

• 2019 - Richmond vs GWS

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GoldenMagpie16

Club Legend
May 29, 2016
Tasmania
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Honestly, In terms of shock value. 2007 Grand Final had to be one of the best, Who would've predicted that Geelong would thrash Port Adelaide by 20 goals, especially when coming into the game having a premiership drought for the past 44 years.

The funny thing is that the final margin could've been worse if Geelong didn't decide to ease the accelerator halfway through the last quarter.

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
So so far we have

1. 2018 - 21.3%
2. 2009 - 12.3%
3. 2012 - 10.7%
3. 2021 - 10.7%
5. 2002 - 7.4%

I do wonder if 2021 is being inflated though because it is the most recent Grand Final. Was a close game for a while but Melbourne flicked a switch in the 3rd quarter and made the Bulldogs look like an Auskick team.
I don't think it's inflated because it is the most recent I think it is inflated because 57 years of disappointment was finally ended , much like 2016 and to a lesser extent 2017.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
What ? Like 84/85 ?
'85 Essendon the most dominant football team week in week out that ive ever witnessed,much better than the 2000 side imo
that year they just bashed and crashed sides into oblivion,actually they started preliminary final '84,it was 26 games of complete annihalation
of they're opponents

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
'85 Essendon the most dominant football team week in week out that ive ever witnessed,much better than the 2000 side imo
that year they just bashed and crashed sides into oblivion,actually they started preliminary final '84,it was 26 games of complete annihalation
of they're opponents

Totally agree - and thats why i think it is Ess greatest ever side - or since the 60s - and would easily be in the best 3 premiers in that same time frame - if not the best ever

Alot of premiers have annihilated clearly inferior opponents - but the Dons did it to another quality team

If they had the draft back then - where you could keep that group of core players together - plus fully professional - and all on top money etc - thus motivated etc they would have won 4-5 flags no question

Pessimistic

Make me an Admin!
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Totally agree - and thats why i think it is Ess greatest ever side - or since the 60s - and would easily be in the best 3 premiers in that same time frame - if not the best ever

Alot of premiers have annihilated clearly inferior opponents - but the Dons did it to another quality team

If they had the draft back then - where you could keep that group of core players together - plus fully professional - and all on top money etc - thus motivated etc they would have won 4-5 flags no question

Dermott often supports this

I wonder if there will ever be a threepeat of same GF opponents ever again. Also look at the names it’s a who’s who of footy coaches, administrators etc since then

Dark Eagle 9

Debutant
Nov 8, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
2012 for the lead changes, then 2018 for the epic come back/arm wrestle/ Dom Sheed Immortal Technique Forever Goal.

Plus I was there

Attachments

• IMG_20220203_061155.jpg
    IMG_20220203_061155.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19

Sttew

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 28, 2006
Who's asking?
AFL Club
Geelong
I’ve said it before - Saints v Cats 2009. Tensest and best GF I have seen. The two best teams in the competition in 2009 by a country mile played off in the GF, and it delivered in spades.

For more than 10 minutes in the 4Q neither team could score and scores were level. Then came the most famous toe poke ever which ultimately led to Paul Chapman, nursing a massive hamstring tear, snapping what would become the winning goal.

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I’ve said it before - Saints v Cats 2009. Tensest and best GF I have seen. The two best teams in the competition in 2009 by a country mile played off in the GF, and it delivered in spades.

For more than 10 minutes in the 4Q neither team could score and scores were level. Then came the most famous toe poke ever which ultimately led to Paul Chapman, nursing a massive hamstring tear, snapping what would become the winning goal.

I was just a great final that I could narrow it down to many more game deciding moments, Harry Taylor’s mark on the wing with 40 seconds left, and Rookes icing on the cake mark and goal.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond

I still think Kosi could’ve done a lot more to stop the Scarlett toe poke.
Dawson’s sprinted 30m flat out late in the game to get a fist in and Kosi just stood there and flapped when Scarlett poked it, could’ve dived on it or shown the same desperation that Dawson did.

And then just stopped in his tracks as GAJ runs off free for the game winning play…

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
For the ones who were alive, know that the game itself was half decent and was close until the lions ran away.

Two quality sides resulting in a quality game.

Plus the bombers were a hard team to beat, but that was the start of the short but sweet, lions dominance.

There isn’t a lot of old footage on YouTube with game highlights which is maybe why the GF is a bit under appreciated.

I enjoyed watching this recently though it was good to hear both sides talk about it.
Bit rough Hirdy getting berated after the game by Sheeds

Sttew

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 28, 2006
Who's asking?
AFL Club
Geelong
I still think Kosi could’ve done a lot more to stop the Scarlett toe poke.
Dawson’s sprinted 30m flat out late in the game to get a fist in and Kosi just stood there and flapped when Scarlett poked it, could’ve dived on it or shown the same desperation that Dawson did.

And then just stopped in his tracks as GAJ runs off free for the game winning play…
And GAJ heard footsteps behind him, thought it was a Saint on his tail and kicked it when he could have taken another bounce and kicked the goal. It was Scarlett shepharding him

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Havoc

Senior List
Sep 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I do , right on the back of the twin towers coming down. Had many c*rlton fans coming in to standing room once they opened the gates for free. Sad.

Interesting. I wonder if Carlton fans do the same in grand finals where Collingwood lose??

Can any Collingwood supporters answer this?

Boxhead_31

Rompinwins is my Chauffeur
Oct 12, 2007
This Drinking Team has a Football Problem
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South BHFL, 49ers
And GAJ heard footsteps behind him, thought it was a Saint on his tail and kicked it when he could have taken another bounce and kicked the goal. It was Scarlett shepharding him
Rooke spoiling Mooneys redemption moment in the goal square from the Ablett kick.
Rooke going the soccer off the ground and burning a wide open SJ who was running into a open goal after having a dog of a day

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
1 2010. Hands down. Momentum swings drama and the finish. GOAT

2. 2009. Awesome high intensity game hard fought amoung 2 of the greatest sides. Even in the wet high skill.

3 2012. Read above but was dry and not as good

4 2018. Nervous mistakes but momentum swung and tension all the way through. Until the end.

5 06 read above not as good

6 05 not as good should've been a holding free against Swans at the end

7 The rest. While some good moments just standard sort of gfs
See this comment so often. Please go back a further 10 seconds and watch Dean Cox blatantly shove Darren Jolly in the back before taking the mark. It was Cox's kick that led to Leo Barry's mark. Anybody claiming that the Eagles should have got a free are kidding themselves.

Cudi_420

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2010
East Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
2018 was great.
2005 and 2006 up there.
2012 was such a great battle.
2009 was a real slog.
I know I am biased but so many neutrals I know say 2021 was just "fun" to watch. But don't think it was the best "contest".