Best grand final of the modern era (since 1998)

Best grand final of the modern era/since 1998

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You are missing all the hawthorn sniping behind the play, droping players whenever they handballed and a dozen deliberate rushed behinds. the sportsmanship of hawthorn was that bad they had two introduce two new rules the next season to stop it.

and then ofcourse you missed that the only reason the game wasnt over at half time was cos geelong bradburied in front of goal. Numerous occassions where multiple geelong players coming straming into the foward fifty in waves only to miss sitters from 30m directly in front with no hawk player near them or handballing to a player not looking in the goal square or missing a set shot from 10ms out.

the football was completely one side For the first half. hawthorn only played well for a qtr. hawthorn didnt win the flag Against all odds, geelong lost it against all odds.

love how you guys talk about hodge playing with a slight injury when his opponent (geelongs last player picked) was far more injured and should never have played.
A wonderful, wonderful day.

Ahhhhhhhhh

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What I will say is that 2008 for me will always be the year of Buddy smashing the comp to bits. How he didn’t win the Brownlow that year is ridiculous. This permeates my memory of the 2008 GF. I’m not saying he was best on ground or anything, but the “Buddy making us s**t our pants” factor cannot be understated. And this against the form team on the big day was ….I need to stop now ….I’m crying

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
What I will say is that 2008 for me will always be the year of Buddy smashing the comp to bits. How he didn’t win the Brownlow that year is ridiculous. This permeates my memory of the 2008 GF. I’m not saying he was best on ground or anything, but the “Buddy making us sh*t our pants” factor cannot be understated. And this against the form team on the big day was ….I need to stop now ….I’m crying
Buddy was beaten by scarlett in the 2008 grand final. Had little influence.

and while 2008 was buddys best season with the hawks. Ablett was still better that season.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
You are missing all the hawthorn sniping behind the play, droping players whenever they handballed and a dozen deliberate rushed behinds. the sportsmanship of hawthorn was that bad they had two introduce too new rules the next season to stop it.

and then ofcourse you missed that the only reason the game wasnt over at half time was cos geelong bradburied in front of goal. Numerous occassions where multiple geelong players coming straming into the foward fifty in waves only to miss sitters from 30m directly in front with no hawk player near them or handballing to a player not looking in the goal square or missing a set shot from 10ms out.

the football was completely one side For the first half. hawthorn only played well for a qtr. hawthorn didnt win the flag Against all odds, geelong lost it against all odds.

love how you guys talk about hodge playing with a slight injury when his opponent (geelongs last player picked) was far more injured and should never have played.

Mooney Lonergan Stokes. Geelong lost it at selection.

That’s not a premiership fwd line never mind a great one

And on the sniping jut lol. Frees kept Geel in the game
I’d not even put it near the top in this discussion, though it was my most enjoyable by far obviously.

Geeelong spudded it up, as did hawthorn apart from an electric 15 mins

Simche

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Arsenal
Am i the only one who doesnt get why people still talk about a plastic car from 1991? Its no more memorable then any of the other pre match entertainment. Why do people keep talking about it?
I'd say it's a pretty memorable and an iconic kitsch moment.

Bit different to the usual B grade dad rock bands that seem to have gotten a gig in the last ten to twenty years (Meatloaf's performance exempted).

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades

and while 2008 was buddys best season with the hawks. Ablett was still better that season.

Cooney*

Also the post you were quoting wasn't saying anything about Buddys performance on the day. No one will argue that Scarlett got the better of it.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd say it's a pretty memorable and an iconic kitsch moment.

Bit different to the usual B grade dad rock bands that seem to have gotten a gig in the last ten to twenty years (Meatloaf's performance exempted).
Yes anderson was a C grade dads rock band with one song. Big difference. :moustache:

and performers and retiring sports stars get wheeled out on crappy plastic cars at sports events literally all the time. It looks no different to most of them. No one gave it a second thought on the day.

It had the story (Geelong 21-1 against the plucky underdog noone rated all year)
It had memorable moments
- Hodge exposing his ribs
-croad breaking his foot but still putting in one final act
- mooney missing on half time
-one-legged fat man dew turning the game
-rioli 3-on-1 on the wing
-Williams and Dew 3-on-2
-the 21 rushed behinds (of which only 2 would have been punished)

No other grand final has all of that and more

20-2 vs 18-4, two insane teams head to head after delivering one of the best H&A games in living memory.
Easily the most physically demanded GF of the modern era.
Cold game in stodgy conditions still results in one of the best contests.
  • Goddard breaks his nose and collarbone but plays on
  • Riewoldt does his knee but continues to contend all game
  • Chapman wins the Norm Smith after injuring his hamstring in Q1
  • Unheralded Gram puts in performance of his career
  • Dominant Hayes quelled by Bartel
  • The toe-poke
  • Hawkins hits the post, called a goal

You can pick big moments out of any game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)

Scarlett dominated the first quarter, then clarko moved Franklin, and Thompson kept Scarlett on him.
Scarlett won the duel, but it destroyed geelongs defensive set up

We shouldn’t take for granted the amount of great grand finals we’ve seen the last 20 years. Since 2000 there’s only been a few true duds, and there’s been 7 or 8 that I’d consider all time classics and plenty more that are watchable
08-12 Grannies are all. all time great grand finals (minus 10 replay)

The best stretch of Grand Finals for a long time.

Back