Best grand final of the modern era (since 1998)

Best grand final of the modern era/since 1998

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 is getting disrespected. Highest quality game I've seen. Gets lost because Geelong put in one of the best 4th quarters ever played to run away with it.

As already stated 2008-12 was the golden age of grand finals.

I’m probably on my Pat Malone here but I loved 2007. Watching a team that was the best by far all destroy a team that was the closest challenger.
Essendon against us in 2000 a close second.
Richmond over GWS a tie for third with us last year.
Dunno what to say. I like seeing dominate teams dominate.
And in before any Hawks- I was working 12 hour shifts on the weekend through the 3 peat and missed them all. So if you did something I didn’t get to see and have no interest in rewatching as I know the result, feel free to add to it

I’m probably on my Pat Malone here but I loved 2007. Watching a team that was the best by far all destroy a team that was the closest challenger.
Essendon against us in 2000 a close second.
Richmond over GWS a tie for third with us last year.
Dunno what to say. I like seeing dominate teams dominate.
And in before any Hawks- I was working 12 hour shifts on the weekend through the 3 peat and missed them all. So if you did something I didn’t get to see and have no interest in rewatching as I know the result, feel free to add to it
It was great going B 2 B 2 B

The thing is the hawks set themselves for a 4 quarter performance in 2014 because they respected Sydney that much. In fact sydney played reasonably well when they got possession going

Not a classic though

If you enjoy a demolition surely 2014 is worth a run. Port won 11-8-15-7-9 games over 5 years with the single GF appearance in the middle of that run.

Sydney on the other hand won 16-15-17-16-17 games with a flag, 3 GF appearances and 2 minor premierships in a 5 year period. Watching them totally dismantled in a GF was a real surprise. Kind of like watching a batsman walk out to the crease and just middle everything against good bowlers who aren't doing anything wrong, just one of those days.

You are missing all the hawthorn sniping behind the play, droping players whenever they handballed and a dozen deliberate rushed behinds. the sportsmanship of hawthorn was that bad they had two introduce too new rules the next season to stop it.

and then ofcourse you missed that the only reason the game wasnt over at half time was cos geelong bradburied in front of goal. Numerous occassions where multiple geelong players coming straming into the foward fifty in waves only to miss sitters from 30m directly in front with no hawk player near them or handballing to a player not looking in the goal square or missing a set shot from 10ms out.

the football was completely one side For the first half. hawthorn only played well for a qtr. hawthorn didnt win the flag Against all odds, geelong lost it against all odds.

love how you guys talk about hodge playing with a slight injury when his opponent (geelongs last player picked) was far more injured and should never have played.

Curious how every time the Cats lose a Grand Final rules need to be changed. 🤨

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2009 was a classic between 2 exceptionally good sides, the Saints side from that time is one of the best sides never to win a flag.

I'm biased but 2002 is an underrated game, close all day and came down to the last few minutes.
2002 was a million times better than 2010 as a game

the sportsmanship of hawthorn was that bad they had two introduce too new rules the next season to stop it.
The Hawks kept hogging the ball, eh?

It can't be that Geelong were outplayed by the better side on the day of course not, those damn Hawks cheated
Geelong suffered the same fate that they have in so many other years.

They rolled up to the MCG that day, smelling their own farts and were subsequently outcoached, outmuscled and outplayed.

It was a beautiful day.

The absolute tsunami of momentum in the 3rd quarter of 2021 makes it a special GF. And then being the drought breaker, being the popular result amongst the crowd and neutrals adds to it even further.

Closer games are always more exciting for neutrals but it’s good to see 2021 with solid representation.

2009 was a classic between 2 exceptionally good sides, the Saints side from that time is one of the best sides never to win a flag.

I'm biased but 2002 is an underrated game, close all day and came down to the last few minutes.
Nah you’re not biased. I loved 2002. Was barracking for far north Fitzroy all day and loved the Vossy\Buckers battle

no just that grand final.
Seeds that is just not correct now is it, not even nearly correct, you should be ashamed of yourself. 😂😂

Let me give you the full history of this, and these are just the bits I know as fact……🧐🤓😎

1859 Geelong is formed and finishes runner-up in a two team competition playing under its own rules. This is key, it shows since the outset the club only wanted things on their terms rules-wise.

1860 After being trounced playing under its own rules the Cats cried foul and demanded their captain be allowed to make adjudications. Imagine how many flags the Cats would have won in recent years if Joel Cheatwood was able to umpire.

The club also demanded free kicks for tripping, hacking and holding be introduced when their regular simulations were found to be pointless as there was no rule banning the actions being simulated.

1889. Cats seething after b2b Grand Final losses. Demanded the following slew of seemingly pointless rule changes after the Cats had trouble defending centre kick offs. Geelong were also clearly paranoid about goal umpires inventing scores that never happened.

Player kicking off from centre required to cover a minimum forward distance of 18.2m.

Goal umpires required to inform field umpire of all scoring decisions.

Players unnecessarily delaying disposal from marks or kick-offs were deprived of possession and a ball-up resulted.

1953 During the season on their way to finishing runner-up the Cats whinged other teams were getting advantage from trainers delivering coaches messages to players so had this practice banned. Little good it did them.

1968 After the Tigers handed the Cats a humiliating defeat in the 67 decider Geelong moaned opponents were not returning the ball to them on a sliver platter when they were awarded a mark or free kick. So it was made an offence to not do so.

1990 After losing the Grand Final in 89 to a Hawthorn team who finished the match with about one fit player on the field, Geelong whinged that the compulsory kick(rather than choice of kick or handball) after being awarded a free kick had cost their wide running receivers the opportunity to have any impact on the Grand Final and so the compulsory kick for a free kick was dropped.

1995 After the Cats had lost 2 Grand Finals in 3 years they lobbied the AFL with typical whining fervour and secured the following raft of rule changes:

Revised system of adding time-on. Recorded when boundary or goal umpires signal, until the next act of play.

Tripping by hand becomes reportable. Penalty: Free & 50 metres.

Tripping by foot remains reportable. Additional penalty: Free & 50 metres.

Player must kick ball back into play following the scoring of a behind immediately after one warning from field umpire. Penalty for delay: Ball-up on centre of kick-off line.

Player kicking in after a behind is allowed to kick ball clear of hand and foot within the goal-square before playing on.

Little good it did, as they again lost the Grad Final in 1995. But true to form, they squealed their way to yet another staggering array of pointless rule changes for the 1996 season:

Any player receiving treatment from medical staff required to be removed from centre square prior to centre bounce.

Protected area around player taking set disposal from free or mark changed from 10-metre semi-circle to five-metre corridor on either side.

Amendment in the interpretation of the holding ball law. If player has had a prior opportunity to dispose, he must kick or handball immediately once tackled.

Deliberate tripping by hand incurred a free plus 50-metre penalty. The offence was no longer reportable.

2008. You guessed it, after another Grand Final loss the Cats sook their way to another encyclopaedia of rule changes:
Umpires empowered to recall an errant bounce at a stoppage and replace it with a throw-up.

Penalty for interchange rule violation became a free kick, plus a 50-metre penalty from wherever play is stopped.

A free kick paid against a player engaged in any form of misconduct.

The scoreline to be aligned with the back of the goalpost padding.

A player in possession of the ball, when the play is stopped for stretcher usage, to retain it when the game restarts.

If an umpire impedes a player when setting the mark for a shot at goal, play to be stopped and the mark to be re-set to avoid a disadvantage.

After the all-clear is given for a score and an infringement against the defending team occurs before play restarts, the free kick to be taken either where the infringement occurs or 50 metres from the kick-off line, whichever is to the advantage of that team.

2020. Another Grand Final loss and yet another startling array of Geelong demanded rule alterations as follows:

1) A maximum of 75 total player interchanges per match
Rotations will decrease from 90 per match in 2020 to 75 per match in 2021. Each team will continue to be permitted four interchange players.

2) Player Standing The Mark
The defending Player will only be permitted minimal lateral movement on The Mark. If the defending player moves off The Mark in any direction prior to “Play On” being called, a 50-metre penalty will apply. The defensive team is unable to substitute the Player on The Mark.

3) Location of The Mark at Kick Ins
The Mark shall be set at 15 metres from the centre of the Kick-Off Line towards the centre of the ground at Kick Ins. This was previously set at 10 metres.

So Geelong demanded rule changes just that we know of after being runner-up = 29 rules. Remember they were Geelong’s rules to start with ffs.

Geelong Premierships the year after all these idiotic rule changes they whinged their way to after finishing runner-up = zero.

Just stop it Geelong.

Seeds you need to own your club’s rule meddling excuse making ways, not try to pretend it is not happening. 😁

Last edited:
Seeds that is just not correct now is it, not even nearly correct, you should be ashamed of yourself. 😂😂

Let me give you the full history of this, and these are just the bits I know for a fact……🧐🤓😎

1859 Geelong is formed and finishes runner-up in a two team competition playing under its own rules. This is key, it shows since the outset the club only wanted things on their terms rules-wise.

1860 After being trounced playing under its won rules the Cats cried foul and demanded their captain be allowed to make adjudications. Imagine how many flags the Cats would have won in recent years if Joel Cheatwood was able to umpire.

The club also demanded free kicks for tripping, hacking and holding be introduced when their regular simulations were found to be pointless as there was no banning the actions being simulated.

1889. Cats seething after b2b Grand Final losses. Demanded the following slew of seemingly pointless rule changes after the Cats had trouble defending centre kick offs. Geelong were also clearly paranoid about goal umpires inventing scores that never happened.

Player kicking off from centre required to cover a minimum forward distance of 18.2m.

Goal umpires required to inform field umpire of all scoring decisions.

Players unnecessarily delaying disposal from marks or kick-offs were deprived of possession and a ball-up resulted.

1953 During the season on their way to finishing runner-up the Cats whinged other teams were getting advantage from trainers delivering coaches messages to players so had this practice banned. Little good it did them.

1968 After the Tigers handed the Cats a humiliating defeat in the 67 decider Geelong moaned opponents were not returning the ball to them on a sliver platter when they were awarded a mark or free kick. So it was made an offence to not do so.

1990 After losing the Grand Final in 89 to a Hawthorn team who finished the match with about one fit player on the field, Geelong whinged that the compulsory kick(rather than choice of kick or handball) after being awarded a free kick had cost their wide running receivers the opportunity to have any impact on the Grand Final and so the compulsory kick for a free kick was dropped.

1995 After the Cats had lost 2 Grand Finals in 3 years they lobbied the AFL with typical whining fervour and secured the following raft of rule changes:

Revised system of adding time-on. Recorded when boundary or goal umpires signal, until the next act of play.

Tripping by hand becomes reportable. Penalty: Free & 50 metres.

Tripping by foot remains reportable. Additional penalty: Free & 50 metres.

Player must kick ball back into play following the scoring of a behind immediately after one warning from field umpire. Penalty for delay: Ball-up on centre of kick-off line.

Player kicking in after a behind is allowed to kick ball clear of hand and foot within the goal-square before playing on.

Little good it did, as they again lost the Grad Final in 1995. But true to form, they squealed their way to yet another staggering array of pointless rule changes for the 1996 season:
Any player receiving treatment from medical staff required to be removed from centre square prior to centre bounce.

Protected area around player taking set disposal from free or mark changed from 10-metre semi-circle to five-metre corridor on either side.

Amendment in the interpretation of the holding ball law. If player has had a prior opportunity to dispose, he must kick or handball immediately once tackled.

Deliberate tripping by hand incurred a free plus 50-metre penalty. The offence was no longer reportable.

2008. You guessed it, after another Grand Final loss the Cats sook their way to another encyclopaedia of rule changes:
Umpires empowered to recall an errant bounce at a stoppage and replace it with a throw-up.

Penalty for interchange rule violation became a free kick, plus a 50-metre penalty from wherever play is stopped.

A free kick paid against a player engaged in any form of misconduct.

The scoreline to be aligned with the back of the goalpost padding.

A player in possession of the ball, when the play is stopped for stretcher usage, to retain it when the game restarts.

If an umpire impedes a player when setting the mark for a shot at goal, play to be stopped and the mark to be re-set to avoid a disadvantage.

After the all-clear is given for a score and an infringement against the defending team occurs before play restarts, the free kick to be taken either where the infringement occurs or 50 metres from the kick-off line, whichever is to the advantage of that team.

2020. Another Grand Final loss and yet another startling array of Geelong demanded rule alterations as follows:

1) A maximum of 75 total player interchanges per match
Rotations will decrease from 90 per match in 2020 to 75 per match in 2021. Each team will continue to be permitted four interchange players.

2) Player Standing The Mark
The defending Player will only be permitted minimal lateral movement on The Mark. If the defending player moves off The Mark in any direction prior to “Play On” being called, a 50-metre penalty will apply. The defensive team is unable to substitute the Player on The Mark.

3) Location of The Mark at Kick Ins
The Mark shall be set at 15 metres from the centre of the Kick-Off Line towards the centre of the ground at Kick Ins. This was previously set at 10 metres.

So Geelong demanded rule changes just that we know of after being runner-up = 29 rules. Remember they were Geelong’s rules to start with ffs.

Geelong Premierships the year after all these idiotic rule changes they whinged their way to after finishing runner-up = zero.

Just stop it Geelong.

Seeds you need to own your club’s rule meddling excuse making ways, not try to pretend it is not happening. 😁
Almost like the AFL has been changing/introducing rules at the end of every season for years. I guess the dogs are to blame for the new time wasting crackdown.

Back