Best group of young players in the AFL

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by samass03, Jan 4, 2017.

Put it out there
?

Who has the best top end talent in players under 24 years of age?

1. GWS

135 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Gold Coast

12 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Western Bulldogs

74 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Sydney

6 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Saints

30 vote(s)
    9.4%
  6. Freo

10 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. Melbourne

22 vote(s)
    6.9%
  8. Carlton

23 vote(s)
    7.2%
  9. WCE

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  10. Brisbane

21 vote(s)
    6.6%
  11. Collingwood

9 vote(s)
    2.8%
  12. Essendon

19 vote(s)
    5.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HARKER

HARKER Hall of Famer

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Weathering heights are better...........sung in a floaty high voice. :)

Ok Stringer is the package and all convo stops there. You have your opinion and I have mine. No harm done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. conrad_437

conrad_437 Team Captain

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Fair enough. We all like to rate players higher than other supporters do :p

3. Topkent

Topkent Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Sam Frost and Oscar Mcdonald are 6th and 7th on that list but everyone in the AFL knows they aren't 6th and 7th for key defenders
    That's a selective Stat that just shows that someone else (Tmac) picks up the most dangerous defender

Ambrosia and TiAn_ like this.
  4. Topkent

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    I'm a little sick of the bulldogs hype train but I reckon Stringer has the most talent of any young kid in the competition, the way he can shake 3 tackles and launch a team lifting goal from 50 is something only a small handful of players can do

Bont is hyped and rightly so, but he isn't alone in what he does
    Stringer is a player that almost no other club has.. we hope Petracca can do something similar

TiAn_ likes this.
  5. TiAn_

TiAn_ Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    It's hard to have goals kicked on you when you play as the loose man.

Any list that suggests Fletcher Roberts is better than Dale Morris is worthless.

Pogba likes this.
  6. Topkent

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Winnipeg Jets
    Haha I just realized that list has Astbury and no Rance as if to drive home our point

Pogba and TiAn_ like this.
  7. carnthedons

carnthedons Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    what? Ever heard of the 2nd year blues?

FlowersByIrene likes this.
  8. Danger in Texas

Danger in Texas DID I STUTTER?

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Reds, Lakers, East Side, Knights
    Biased obviously, but Crows should be in this poll as well, IMO. Lever, Laird, Milera, B Crouch, M Crouch, McGovern, Atkins, Cameron. That's a very good group for a top 8 side. Also guys like Menzel, Doedee and Gallucci, all first round picks (albeit unproven at AFL level) who I believe will contribute for us in the future.

1990crow and aussierulesrules like this.
  9. B4Bear

B4Bear Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    It is an elaborate troll by the AFL, so we can get used to only seeing 12 teams listed.

The need for Bulldogs supporters to get a tummy rub from BF is now just pathetic.

crasha301 and Cynic like this.
  10. TiAn_

TiAn_ Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    I'm here for the salty losers. Cheers.

11. B4Bear

B4Bear Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Well good for you. Winning a premiership doesn't stop you from being a flog though. Enjoy it whilst you can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Richo83

Richo83 Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    I'd take that stat with a grain of salt if I were you. Rance somehow had more goals kicked against him than Astbury yet Astbury is crap.

13. TiAn_

TiAn_ Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Stops you from being a loser though.

14. stefoid

stefoid Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    I dont think he was terrible, but he everyone expected him to improve on his 2015 and he went slightly backwards. Plus he attempts to get too many scoring opportunites by lurking in the manner of a small goal sneak and got dropped for lack of defensive effort.

But yeah, Stringers 2016 is definately in the '1st world problem' category

15. Blues90

Blues90 Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Different players zac isnt better than cripps though thats a laugh more effective kicks because cripps barely kicks pointless stat. Zac is a absoloute gun but he isnt better than cripps

BlazeOfGlory likes this.
  16. Blues90

Blues90 Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Probably a vetter clearence player no way near a better player 68%of his disposals are pre clearence no one else is even close to that but his just a good mid needs more strings

17. bmaurizio

bmaurizio Premium Gold

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Weitering will become an exceptional defender as his career progress.
    Great foundation to our back line.

18. TooBlue14

TooBlue14 All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    It was a statistic for weitering. At no point was it aimed at Richmond. It's a FIRST YEAR player.

19. 1990crow

1990crow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Wouldn't sweat it. AFL will see the quality we have racked up over the next couple of years.

B.Crouch, Lever, M.Crouch, Laird, Milera, McGovern, Atkins, Cameron, Doedee, Galluci, Menzel, Knight, Hampton, Obrien, Wigg, Poholke, Dear all coming on nicely whilst we have a senior group of Walker, Sloane, Talia, Jenkins, Lynch, Smith, Betts, Jacobs leading the way.

Danger in Texas likes this.
  20. carnthedons

Essendon
    Other teams:
    What's the deal with Doedee? I recall it was a massive shock and a perceived huge reach when he was drafted where he was when Gresham, Burton, Fiorini, McKay and others were still available.

21. 1990crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Seems a quality pick from what we've seen at SANFL level. Strong in the contest, good skills, clean, evasive, good defender and very athletic.
    I'd expect he will get games this year.. looks a first rounder type. Medium turn upgrade on Cheney.
    Plays a bit like Enright.

carnthedons and Danger in Texas like this.
  22. carnthedons

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Cheers. Hopefully it translates to the top level. Was he injured last season or just couldn't get a game?

1990crow likes this.
  23. 1990crow

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    He was very light for majority of the year so may have struggled with the bigger bodies but has put on 7kg over the past year.
    Team was settled for first half of the year and then his form built as the year on.. selectors chose to stick with existing team for consistency.

carnthedons likes this.
  24. TallyHawk

TallyHawk Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Manchester City FC
    I will help the OP out with Hawks list:
    Tom Mitchell, Jaeger O'Meara, Ryan Burton, James Sicily, Jono O'Rourke, Kaiden Brand and Daniel Howe.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

25. adammania9

adammania9 Premiership Player

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    University
    Collingwood's group has gone a little under the radar I think - perhaps it's declined a bit after 2016 due to injuries and a lack of form to some but:

Elite potential:
    Adam Treloar - already elite but has potential to be a top 5 player in the comp and win a Brownlow.
    Darcy Moore - one of the best contested marks I've seen on a guy his age. Has sky high potential to become one of the best forwards around.
    Brodie Grundy - he doesn't have much competition around him but he is the best U23 ruck in the comp. Could be a top 2 ruck in two years time I think.
    Taylor Adams - breakout year is coming I feel. He is a renewed man sitting on the HBF, he is an ultra mix of class and grunt. Beautiful player to watch.

High potential:
    Jordan De Goey - he depends on where he plays. He won't get very far as a medium forwards like how he is, but as a pure inside mid, he'll be superb.
    Brayden Maynard - about as good as medium defenders come at his age. Is the full package - attacks, defends, shuts down, rebounds etc. Watch out for him
    Tom Langdon - as soon as he fixes his kicking, he could be one of the best mid-sized defenders in the comp. Very serviceable player already.
    Jackson Ramsay - he hasn't played a lot, but he's been superb when he has played, producing the rebound from the back line.
    James Aish - classy balanced midfielder who hits targets and kicks goals. Hasn't set the world on fire yet but he could come very good.
    Jack Crisp - predominantly an outside mid with a massive boot, lots of leg speed, and a goal sense. Hopefully we haven't seen his peak already.
    Will Hoskin-Elliott - didn't want him originally but we've seen what he can produce as a player, and if he can do it more often, he'll have a big reputation.

With a bit of luck could still be great:
    Matthew Scharenberg - I'm not big on him after 3 years on constant injuries, but he was in my opinion the 2nd best player in the 2013 draft class and his lethal left foot could leave us shocked if he comes back fit. He's exactly what we need off half-back.
    Mason Cox - Incredible set shot but a lack of durability and consistent influence leads me to be doubtful about his future.
    Ben Crocker - looked lovely as a medium forward, but with Elliott back, added with WHE and Mayne joining, I don't know how much he'll play.
    Rupert Wills - I'd put him in the above category but I don't want to look desperate after 5 games. He's a pressure machine and will be part of our future I believe.
    Tim Broomhead - cruelled by injuries, he could still be a valuable small forward if he can become fit and keep a place in the side.