Best group of young players in the AFL

Who has the best top end talent in players under 24 years of age?

• GWS

Votes: 135 42.1%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 74 23.1%
  • Sydney

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 30 9.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 22 6.9%
  • Carlton

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • WCE

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 21 6.5%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 19 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood's group has gone a little under the radar I think - perhaps it's declined a bit after 2016 due to injuries and a lack of form to some but:

Elite potential:
Adam Treloar - already elite but has potential to be a top 5 player in the comp and win a Brownlow.
Darcy Moore - one of the best contested marks I've seen on a guy his age. Has sky high potential to become one of the best forwards around.
Brodie Grundy - he doesn't have much competition around him but he is the best U23 ruck in the comp. Could be a top 2 ruck in two years time I think.
Taylor Adams - breakout year is coming I feel. He is a renewed man sitting on the HBF, he is an ultra mix of class and grunt. Beautiful player to watch.

High potential:
Jordan De Goey - he depends on where he plays. He won't get very far as a medium forwards like how he is, but as a pure inside mid, he'll be superb.
Brayden Maynard - about as good as medium defenders come at his age. Is the full package - attacks, defends, shuts down, rebounds etc. Watch out for him
Tom Langdon - as soon as he fixes his kicking, he could be one of the best mid-sized defenders in the comp. Very serviceable player already.
Jackson Ramsay - he hasn't played a lot, but he's been superb when he has played, producing the rebound from the back line.
James Aish - classy balanced midfielder who hits targets and kicks goals. Hasn't set the world on fire yet but he could come very good.
Jack Crisp - predominantly an outside mid with a massive boot, lots of leg speed, and a goal sense. Hopefully we haven't seen his peak already.
Will Hoskin-Elliott - didn't want him originally but we've seen what he can produce as a player, and if he can do it more often, he'll have a big reputation.

With a bit of luck could still be great:
Matthew Scharenberg - I'm not big on him after 3 years on constant injuries, but he was in my opinion the 2nd best player in the 2013 draft class and his lethal left foot could leave us shocked if he comes back fit. He's exactly what we need off half-back.
Mason Cox - Incredible set shot but a lack of durability and consistent influence leads me to be doubtful about his future.
Ben Crocker - looked lovely as a medium forward, but with Elliott back, added with WHE and Mayne joining, I don't know how much he'll play.
Rupert Wills - I'd put him in the above category but I don't want to look desperate after 5 games. He's a pressure machine and will be part of our future I believe.
Tim Broomhead - cruelled by injuries, he could still be a valuable small forward if he can become fit and keep a place in the side.

How has Collingwoods group gone under the radar, you've been tipped to bounce back to finals every year under Buckley

I would let Cripps go before Docherty. He is an absolute gun and reads the play better than most out there. Cripps is a gun and the best clearance player in the comp but docherty is more important to carlton in my opinion with his set up from half back. The amount of goals he saved and turned it into a goal on the other end for us is ridiculous. Yes he is one of my favourite players and i could be being a bit stiff to Cripps.

I would let Cripps go before Docherty. He is an absolute gun and reads the play better than most out there. Cripps is a gun and the best clearance player in the comp but docherty is more important to carlton in my opinion with his set up from half back. The amount of goals he saved and turned it into a goal on the other end for us is ridiculous. Yes he is one of my favourite players and i could be being a bit stiff to Cripps.
Yeah, nah

Lucky you got both then aye. :)

Back