Best Guitar Solos

Remove this Banner Ad

The world's laziest bassist and and one of the best drummers. Who'd have thunk it?
The mix is a bit muddy but I like the bass. In hindsight though, I'm a bigger fan of Breaking Into Heaven.

Personal favourites that rarely fail to raise goosebumps on my arms:

Pink Floyd: Comfortably Numb & Time
Soundgarden: Like Suicide
Mastodon: The Czar, Hearts Alive
Cream: Crossroads

Journey - Stone in Love (Neal Schon)

Don't Stop Believin' is better known, but you can hear Journey's influence on quite a few of Ten's songs, especially Even Flow and Alive.

For example, the song structure's are surprisingly similar - memorable riff, verse, chorus, mini-solo, verse, chorus, long solo, before sometimes ending with the chorus, with maybe a few variations.

I feel like following this approach was a mistake for Pearl Jam, because while McGready/Gossard were undeniably good guitarists, neither was in Schon's league as a technician. As such, they couldn't captivate for as long as Schon could. Also, IMO Vedder is just behind Perry as a vocalist, if only because Perry is a singular vocal talent in the history of modern rock.

To their credit, Pearl Jam realised this and changed things up over their next few albums. But Ten still remains their best IMO.

Metallica - My Friend of Misery - this is just a personal fav - the harmony section with Kirk and James is cool
Metallica - Fade to Black - this is my personal favourite song of all time, learning to play the solo was epic
Led Zeppelin - Since I've been lovin you
Most of Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond
Little River Band - It's a Long Way There
The Knack - My Sharona
Slash - Wicked Stone
Aynsley Lister - Need Her So Bad
RHCP - Wet Sand - love the outro solo of this

And if you wanna see some cool solo vids on youtube;
John Mayer - Covered in Rain (Any Given Thursday edition)
Gary Moore - Separate Ways - youtube the live version with the extended intro
Gary Clark JR - When my train pulls in (live at Surf Lodge best performance)
Cutting Crew - died in your arms live at rockpalast 2007
Prince - Purple rain (1985)
Basically any live video of John Frusciante from RHCP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back