OldLion

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2000
Melbourne - 3078 Lions
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Any number of crafted solos from the many Steely Dan sessions. Lowell George's slide on Two Trains, Ry Cooder's slide on John Hiatt's Bring the Family album .. and Albert Lee on Dave Edmonds' Sweet Little Lisa pulls off just about every style/phrase/technique in under a minute.

Leslie West's opus Nantucket Sleighride is extraordinary. And Paul Kossoff's perfectly built minimalist solo on All Right Now is a classic. As is Mick Taylor's slide on live Love In Vain. And then the master Billy Gibbons on La Grange ...

Constipated Duck

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2006
Neuschwanstein
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Scorpions - Catch Your Train & Longing For Fire.

Two perfectly constructed rock/pop songs, where the guitars flow for 100% of the song, but only dominate in the right place, and provide melody in the rest. The solos are extensions of the verse melody more than anything else, but at the same time you get the feeling the verses were written just to match the solos.

Sep 29, 2005
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Redskins, NUFC
The Unforgiven - Metallica [3:48 - 4:30]

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd [5:04 - 6:53]

Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughn [2:37 - 4:22]

The Trooper - Iron Maiden [2:10 - 2:59]

Cocaine - Eric Clapton [1:23 - 2:17] (not necessarily that difficult but it is just sheer musical brilliance, they don't call him slowhand for nothing! the stuff he plays may not seem that hard but its just amazing musically and the ease he does it with is unreal, cocaine is my favourite but i recommend any of clapton's stuff if you want another one to try i suggest layla unplugged a great solo on an acoustic)

Hotel California - The Eagles [4:19 - 6:29]

Eruption - Van Halen [whole song is basically a solo]

Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin [5:55 - 6:45] (just a classic solo for a classic song)

Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits [3:28 - 4:00] & [4:58 - 5:50] (like these alot knopfler is great)

thats all i can think of for now.... this has inspired me to start another thread

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
I'm sure all the obvious ones have been mentioned in this thread, and I love them all. But check out the trade-off solo in 'Shadowchild' by Soilwork, on the 'A Predators Portrait' album. Undoubtedly one of the best balances between shredding and melodic playing I've ever heard, from this underrated band....

Feb 18, 2005
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Afterimage
Tom Sawyer
Freewill
Red Barchetta
Between The Wheels
Bravado

Just a bunch of some good solos from Alex Lifeson!

GED YLE, I'm a big Rush fan. All very tasty choices there. Love watching his work on the Rio and R30 DVDs. How about the Dreamline solo on Rio. He turns it into a monster. Love the exultant look on his face when he plays that huuuuge chord at the end of the solo.

Huge quantity, quality and variety from big Al over the years.

I s'pose you've seem em live plenty of times. Lucky bugger.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
The best Alex Lifeson solo is from the 'A Show of Hands' video, on La Villa Strangiato. Amazing, and shows us what an incredible lead player he truly is. Hopefully he'll return to lead work on the next album....

GED YLE

Team Captain
Jan 4, 2006
Orangeburg, New York USA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
ALL New York Sport teams!
GED YLE, I'm a big Rush fan. All very tasty choices there. Love watching his work on the Rio and R30 DVDs. How about the Dreamline solo on Rio. He turns it into a monster. Love the exultant look on his face when he plays that huuuuge chord at the end of the solo.

Huge quantity, quality and variety from big Al over the years.

I s'pose you've seem em live plenty of times. Lucky bugger.

I've only seenthe band twice- 1st in 1990 at the Meadowland Arena In East Rutherford, New Jersey, the second in 1994 at Madison Square Garden in NYC. I started an onlie petition drive for rush to tour OZ next year. Log on to www.rushinoz.com and it will have the link to the petition.

Lidge

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Feb 28, 2003
Qantas Club Lounge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Washington Generals
Not the definitive list - just some great solos which haven't been mentioned or given much of a plug in this thread.:thumbsu:

Comfortably Numb - Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
Sultans of Swing - Mark Knoffler (Dire Straits)
Cortez the Killer - Neil Young
Europa - Carlos Santana (Santana)
Star Spangled Banner - Jimi Hendrix
Money - Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
Beat it - Eddie Van Halen (yep, on the Michael Jackson single):eek:
Walk this way - Joe Perry? (Aerosmith)
You shook me all night long - Angus Young (AC/DC)
Honky Tonk Woman - Keith Richards (Rolling Stones)
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix
I heard her call my name - Lou Reed (The Velvet Underground)

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Dinosaur Jr - Start Choppin.

Stone Roses - I am the Resurrection. Though that's more of an ensemble thing.

Interceptor

All Australian
Aug 20, 2009
London, UK
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Yes - Starship Trooper (solo: Steve Howe)
The Strokes - The Modern Age
Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street (solo: Hugh Burns)
ZZ Top - Cheap Sunglasses (solo: Billy Gibbons)

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Couple of favourites:

Bevis Frond (aka Nick Saloman) 4.15 outro on "Lights Are Changing"

Sonny Sharrock's melodic guitar comes in and out as the lead instrument on Pharoah Sanders' "Izipho Zam". I've picked out a portion from around the 10:30 minute mark.

Last edited:
Back