Gym & Misc Best gym you've been to and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hungryhaydo

Debutant
Apr 8, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Brunswick dohertys

Train there regularly, all the equipment you need, lots of space, good owner, a lot of massive ****s for inspiration

I've only ever been to two.

Home-gymed for first 6 months on some borrowed old equipment DBs. Last 2.5years had a gym membership but during that time I've went to another gym a few times with mates.

Nobody would have heard of them, the one I am a member at isn't 100% want I want and am planning to home-gym again but when I can buy necessary equipment, but it is a great gym, friendly staff (although wouldn't take their advice), has a decent amount of equipment and in relatively good condition, not too many w***ers and as they have classes all the pretenders usually utilize them.

The other gym a few mates go to is a different story. Early into my gym going I was quite skinny and during my warm up I was stretching while a PT and one of those Mr Upper Body but no Lower body (UBBNLB) were chatting nearby. I was doing a calf stretch - the one where you stand against a wall and lean into it (sorry kirky, I now do dynamic stretches ;)). I overhear Mr UBBNLB say 'what's he trying to do, push over the wall with those big muscles'. Walked out that day. Been back a couple of times but only because it is closer to home and my gym was closed/flooded out. Also, nowhere to do squats at that gym. Not even a smith machine if I was that way inclined. There membership is only $300 but I wouldn't go there for regularly even if it was free.

Oh and feel like such a negative a-hole posting about a s**t gym in a best gym thead.

Trained at Brunswick Doherty's for a while now. Probably 2 years.

Joined because my best mate and I were training down at the Bullants and his cousin works behind the counter.

Spacious gym, everything you need. It's a gym's gym. After coming from a gym that had a pool, spa and sauna etc, I thought I would miss them, but I regularly do my recovery sessions at the beach or baths. So it has never been an issue.

A lot of the juice heads will get in there in the late afternoon or evening. But, being 24/7 is an absolute bonus for a lot of people.

I rekon one of the best equipped gyms I have been to is the YMCA in Ballarat - heaps of space & every bit of equipment you would need.
But still had that crappy health club feel.

I now train at Dohertys in Bendigo - dont have the luxury of training in Melb - but I love it.
Its a smaller gym but has everything you need & its generally occupied by people that are serious about training and not just the "gym fillers" majority of other gyms have - gives it a great vibe!!

Spartans gym in Kilsyth. Massive gym with any equipment you need. Never crowded. Used to be owned by a champion bodybuilder but not sure about these days. I now go to a genesis because it's close to work. It's ok, not great, but it's enough.

Derrimut 24:7 is only impressive due to its size. Owner says its Aus biggest gym - 5000m3 - could be right... but dont really care for those types of gyms. Its all relative anyway, if you have 100m3, 1 treadmill, 1 set of weights and serve 10 clients, then go buy a 1000m3 gym, 10 treadmills, 10 sets of weights and serve 100 clients, nothings changed.

DeFranco changed the rules of NFL and his gym was about 250m3 at the time. Thats impressive.

Apparently the Virgin Gym in Melb CBD is like a friggin nightclub. I know a staff member there, but i haven't checked it out

Only been to 3 gyms. A couple of council run ones and a private owned one that I'm currently at. It's not the best but whilst at uni and working FT to save for an upcoming home deposit it will do.

The only thing it really lacks is a couple of extra squat racks, set of cables and db's inbetween 30-35-40-45-50-55-60.

Plus it's full of toss bags, therefore I always try to get in off peak hours.

I'm really to keen to join a Doherty's, but I currently get $10 a week and can't afford to spend anymore..

I just moved to Queensland. I've found an awesome gym for $17 a fortnight. Good equipment and never crowded. The only drawback is that they don't have showers but since I only live around the corner that's not a huge problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next time you're in mate, say Gday...

Ask for Hungry Haydo at the counter.

Will do Haydo.

I injured my shoulder in a marking contest a few weeks back (shoulder bursitis). So therefore, have been resigned to only bike work. So I've been hitting up the Campbellfield setup which is closer to home.

But I'll definitely be hitting it hard at Brunswick during pre-season.

Will do Haydo.

I injured my shoulder in a marking contest a few weeks back (shoulder bursitis). So therefore, have been resigned to only bike work. So I've been hitting up the Campbellfield setup which is closer to home.

But I'll definitely be hitting it hard at Brunswick during pre-season.

Same here man.

Hurt my shoulder last weekend but it's getting better, hopefull play the last round out..

But yeah I'll be working really hard this off season on power/fitness aswell

Once I get my program (Being written from ex afl weights and conditioning coach) I'll show u..if we workout at similar times we can smash it man..

How was the tuna & vinegar the other day haydo?
That video kinda made me hungry....

Not too bad brah, just tasted like a sour tuna...but i don't bother eating challenges for taste..just go for speed

Lol a lot of people say that about my videos! And tbh watching some of my videos also make me hungry lol

Spartans gym in Kilsyth. Massive gym with any equipment you need. Never crowded. Used to be owned by a champion bodybuilder but not sure about these days. I now go to a genesis because it's close to work. It's ok, not great, but it's enough.

A couple of the staff members bought Spartans off Don

Gone downhill a bit trying to be too much like Genesis, Fenix, Fatty First etc

A lot of the legit BBers there now train in the Dandenong area with Ange Galati

Scott (Goble) also left a while back and works at the Brunswick Doherty's I think

in Adelaide I love the Parks rec centre, cheap in a dodgy neighbourhood (off Hanson Rd) and dingy gym but I love the feel.

North Adelaide Fitness Centre is a really nice gym

Changes on Milne Road is alright aswell

I injured my shoulder in a marking contest a few weeks back (shoulder bursitis).
I did that early in the season, then tore the AC in the same shoulder due to impact a few weeks ago :mad:

Will be joining Dohertys Brunswick given I'll probably move there in a year or two.

Not that I've been too many gyms, but Power Fitness Maddington seems really good. All the staff are extremely friendly, the PT is very helpful and there aren't many absolute ******* members (there are alot who will randomly start talking with you) and they have pretty much everything a gym needs, with more then enough stuff to go around.

pulse in essendon used to be awesome until it burnt down like 8 years ago.. great atmosphere.. small weight room but i avoided the busy times.. no heros trained there.

Went to this gym in Mermaid Beach for a while in '97. Huge space, always empty, robust equipment and some quality boxing/ kickboxing gear down the back.

The owner had this massive chip on his shoulder about Adam Gilchrist, had a series of pinboards up with articles (some that he'd typed up himself!) why Healy should have been the Aussie wicketkeeper into his 40s and Gilchrist was a hopeless flash in the pan. Hilarious in hindsight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back