Best hawthorn Player Ever & Your Personal Favourite

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt huddo was best ever followed by lethal. May not be everyone's favourite but that was not the question. Hard for the young'uns to appreciate just how good huddo was. Best ever by a mile.

On Moto G (5) Plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
727 goals from 129 games makes him an absolute freak of the game. Way too young to see him play, but the footage I've seen shows him to be such an unlikely footballer, so awkward, ugly and almost effeminate in style. Yet the ball always seemed to end up in his hands and the mongrel punts always somehow go through the middle. I just can't think of any player in the history of the game who is remotely comparable.

it's a pretty cheesy, corporate-style video, but here is some good footage of Peter Hudson in action

Leigh Matthews best for obvious reasons and Dunstall as my all time favourite player. He was my idol when I was a kid, I fondly remember his goal kicking exploits that went alongside his great unselfishness and tackling ability. Superstar.

I'm always surprised when, supposed experts, mention Gary Ablett senior when waxing about the greatest player of all time.

Surely the greatest of all should have no weakness to their game.

Gary had absolutely no defensive aspect to his game and was totally selfish/ not team oriented. Also an undisciplined trainer with no leadership skills.

Most talented maybe, but best? * no. There is a reason for the 0 premierships to his name.

Give me Dunstall all day every day.

For those who saw more of Matthews than I did, did he have any weakness? didn't tackle, no left side, poor endurance?

My first memory of footy was/is the 1978 gf, although my memories of him are vague and I most definitely missed his best years Peter knights was always a fave. Into the 80’s period of domination there were just too many to pick from it was just a ridiculousy talented outfit with stars on every line so I never had a stand out favourite. Through the dark period Crawf clearly, frickin champion. From the 2008 onward crop even though there have been stars hand over fist similar to the 80’s in many ways, Cyril Rioli has been a clear favourite for me, just one of those players that does things in a game that make me think what the f***, how did he do that?. As has been said many times before he just seems to see things a step ahead of everyone else.

Well I've been a fanatical Hawthorn supporter since I was a 9 year old kid in 1965 and I would have to say without reservation that the best player since then would have to be Leigh Matthews. The most brilliant (freakish) footballer was definitely the great Peter Hudson closely followed by Lance Franklin. Apologies go out to the very many outstanding players too numerous to mention that have saluted on the last Saturday in September that I have been fortunate enough to witness in the 12 premierships since 1965!!!

Never really saw Lethal play other than the odd highlights package and didn’t see any of Hudson.

Best I’ve seen given my age and being someone who doesn’t live in Melbourne is between Mitchell and Dunstall.

Favourite was Buddy between 07-12. Watching him was a bit like watching Warney bowl. I knew something freakish could and probably would happen. Since he defected, Rioli has taken over as my favourite to watch.

Never really saw Lethal play other than the odd highlights package and didn’t see any of Hudson.

Best I’ve seen given my age and being someone who doesn’t live in Melbourne is between Mitchell and Dunstall.

Favourite was Buddy between 07-12. Watching him was a bit like watching Warney bowl. I knew something freakish could and probably would happen. Since he defected, Rioli has taken over as my favourite to watch.
Buddy and Cyril are great later “wow factor” types.

I was too young to remember Lethal or Huddo. And I supported another club when I was too young to know any better.

Best ever. Dunstall.
Favourite player. A lot of them had flaws but being a member since '94 sort of makes you enjoy what was there. Bateman, Crawf, Graham (yeah come at me), Dixon, Barker, Hodge, Spang. Of the current list. Rough, Burgoyne, and I'm loving what Sicily brings to the table.

I wish I was old enough to have seen Leathal, Hudson, etc.

Best I’ve seen was Dunstall. He was just such a dominant warrior.

Favorite has to be Hank Bulger. Crawf was a shining light at a time where we didn’t have many. I see him as the link between two great eras.

Jason Dunstall is the reason I started barracking for Hawthorn as a youngen. He was my favourite player closely followed by Dermott Brereton.
From the recent crop, Luke Hodge, Cyril Rioli and Lance Franklin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee favourite players many for many reasons.
Lethal Leigh was GOAT - awesome player midfield and later years did what he pleased kicked ripper goals too.

Loved Alan Goad, Darrin Pritchard, Conan Ayres, Chris Langford, David Polkinghorne, Chris Mew.
Loved Piggy Dunstall, then the rat Platten, Shane Crawford, Angelo Lekkas, Changa Bateman,
then the great Sammy Mitchell and now Cyril as well as Ryan Burton.

The above is a sample but hope some get the idea- all time faves probably - Lethal, Piggy, Crawf and Mitch, now Burto and Gunners.

Best: Matthews/Mitchell
Favourite: Cyril/Dunstall/Hodge

Honourable mentions: Dipper, The Rat, Roughy, Burgers, Derm, Crawf & Jars

Has there ever been a more scrumptious player than Cyril Rioli?
Everything he does is appetizing. From mouthwatering marks to palatable passes, he is just so nectarous.
His sidesteps are sapid and his tackles are toothsome.
Cyril really is quite a savory player, isn't he?

Really making an effort to not mention the word delicious.

I'm always surprised when, supposed experts, mention Gary Ablett senior when waxing about the greatest player of all time.

Surely the greatest of all should have no weakness to their game.

Gary had absolutely no defensive aspect to his game and was totally selfish/ not team oriented. Also an undisciplined trainer with no leadership skills.

Most talented maybe, but best? **** no. There is a reason for the 0 premierships to his name.

Give me Dunstall all day every day.

For those who saw more of Matthews than I did, did he have any weakness? didn't tackle, no left side, poor endurance?
Lethal had endurance when he was younger but when he got closer to 30 he spent more time up forward. He didn't have a left side
but didn't need one apart from the occasional snap at goal. He would rather knock an opponent out (legally or illegally) than tackle
but when he did tackle they always stuck. Incredible vice like hands when marking, great kick and was very very elusive with his low
centre of gravity so he could run through you or dance around you, was quick in his younger days. The toughest player l ever saw,
just plain ferocious and easily the best player l've seen and Cyril my favourite. Spot on re Ablett.

Wore 26 on my back while sitting on dads shoulders at the stand end of glenferrie so I thank Huddo for my Hawks obsession.
After his knee, had 3 on the back for a good 10 years and have to say he’s the best I’ve seen.
Despite that, Knights was my favourite due to his brilliance, dash and speccies. (And he bought fish and chips at my local every Friday night.)
But then I grew into the 80s and after all those grannies, its Very hard to leave out Piggy who was a superstar and Dermie who was the heart and soul of the team/club.
In the last 15 years, S. Mitchell easily our best and it was a joy to watch his work.
As for sheer enjoyment though, I know when I hear Cyril is a late out I feel like turning around and going home. I will miss his magic when he’s done.

Anyone who, like me, is 50 and barracks for the Hawthorn Football Club, is blessed.

What was the question again?

Wasn't around to see Lethal or Huddo play but from all accounts both were absolute freaks and should (rightfully) be named Hawthorn's best ever players.

That said, in my lifetime, here's my top 5 best Hawthorn players:

1. Jason Dunstall
2. Sam Mitchell
3. Shane Crawford
4. Lance Franklin
5. John Platten

My favourite player in my lifetime though is without doubt Luke Hodge - Mr. September - there simply has never been another captain like him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back