Best Home and Away Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Which H&A game from the 08-15 era comes quickest to mind when you think of us at our absolute best? Which game saw us at our sublime, unstoppable best?
Someone mentioned the ‘Harlem Globetrotters’ game against Collingwood in ‘12 the other day. And yes, that was indeed a ripper. I was there.
But for me, it’s the first half and a bit of this game, against the previous year’s grand finalists, that displays our very best. Freo could have had 5 extra blokes on the field that night and they wouldn’t have touched us.

What about you?

Bloody loved that game

Strebi3

Team Captain
Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Round 7 2013, the 2012 GF rematch was pretty special. Round 22 2014 against Geelong was also pretty special. The game vs the saints in 2014 was an absolute thrashing. I have never seen such a dominance. If it wasn't so wet i would've backed us to score 200 points.

Round 15 and 16 of 2015 playing the then first and second on the ladder and we smash them both, Fremantle by 72 and Sydney by 89 on their home deck, oh the following week we defeat Carlton by 139 points. The bookies paid out after that.
Yeah that was a pretty brutal few weeks.

Not enough to make WA fans think we were nearly as good as wet toast, mind you...

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Round 7 2008, Saturday arvo at the 'G v the Pies. In front of 76,000, Hawks announce themselves as the real deal, probably for the first time of the era.

Was thought to be a 50-50 game going in, but we slaughtered them. 10 goal last quarter, Buddy and Rough both kick 6, and Willo 5.

I can still remember the high I was on after that game.

Apart from that, Round 1 2015 sticks in my mind. Beating Geelong by 10 goals, playing footy almost as good as the 2014 GF.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Round 7 2008, Saturday arvo at the 'G v the Pies. In front of 76,000, Hawks announce themselves as the real deal, probably for the first time of the era.

Was thought to be a 50-50 game going in, but we slaughtered them. 10 goal last quarter, Buddy and Rough both kick 6, and Willo 5.

I can still remember the high I was on after that game.

Apart from that, Round 1 2015 sticks in my mind. Beating Geelong by 10 goals, playing footy almost as good as the 2014 GF.
I reckon we announced ourselves in the previous year’s EF.

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nah, maybe Buddy did, but we still looked vulnerable, 5th beating 8th, or 6th d. 7th or whatever it was. I meant we announced ourselves in R7 08 as being as good as anyone. I knew after that game we should be playing in the 08 GF.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
My very first thought as I watched buddy’s kick sail through was that we were back on our way to glory and another flag and even a dynasty is on its way.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maybe not the best, but one of the most memorable
1996, Hawks v Melbourne, we win by a point, Dunstall kicks his 100th for the season, the merger vote gets turned down by Hawks members shortly after.

Not one that often comes up, but this one always sticks in my mind:

Year following the line in the sand match. First time we’d beaten the scum in a long long time and signalled the start of more than a decade of domination over them. Great moment in the last 2 minutes of the match when Willo took an absolute cracker of a mark in the pouring rain to kick the sealer. Supposedly told the Scum defenders setting up for the behind kick-in, “You can go back to your starting positions, I’m not gonna miss”.

I reckon we announced ourselves in the previous year’s EF.
I thought it was in back in R9 of that year when we beat the reigning premiers (WCE) down in Tassie. Sewell, Lewis and Hodge gave Judd, Priddis et al a footballing lesson to the tune of over 6 goals.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
I thought it was in back in R9 of that year when we beat the reigning premiers (WCE) down in Tassie. Sewell, Lewis and Hodge gave Judd, Priddis et al a footballing lesson to the tune of over 6 goals.
Yep there were excellent signs right throughout 07.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Not one that often comes up, but this one always sticks in my mind:

Year following the line in the sand match. First time we’d beaten the scum in a long long time and signalled the start of more than a decade of domination over them. Great moment in the last 2 minutes of the match when Willo took an absolute cracker of a mark in the pouring rain to kick the sealer. Supposedly told the Scum defenders setting up for the behind kick-in, “You can go back to your starting positions, I’m not gonna miss”.

Yep, very important game that one. The trajectory of the two clubs since then has been absolutely priceless.

Even in the lean period in the mid-late 90s, there was some gold like that "merger" match.

Has anyone mentioned Round 7 1995 v Geelong at Kardinia Park? No Dunstall, Hudson, Platten, Pritchard, or Lawrence.

Any of those four one-kick wins at the Cattery between 1995 and 99, really. Harford kicking the winner from the boundary and doing the aeroplane celebration in 99. The club were celebrating the 10 year anniversary of the 89 flag that weekend, from memory.

If you want to show younger Hawk supporters some important Hawthorn history (apart from finals):

1. The 1996 "Merger Game" vs Melbourne: we put it out there that we were NOT merging. Highlights include Chris Langford taking off his jumper & Dunstall's 100th goal for the year. And Clarko, Yze and several other future Hawthorn coaching staff playing for Melbourne, with Clarko tagging and annoying the hell out of Johnny Platten!

2. The 2004 "Line in the Sand" game vs Essendon: it was a bad loss at the time, but it set the scene for our club to not get pushed around ever again. The highlights include Chance Bateman bloodying a number of Bomber heads and Richie Vandenberg smacking the rest of them (and earning his life membership of the club!).

If you say you're a Hawthorn supporter, you MUST watch these games.

;)

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
If you want to show younger Hawk supporters some important Hawthorn history (apart from finals):

1. The 1996 "Merger Game" vs Melbourne: we put it out there that we were NOT merging. Highlights include Chris Langford taking off his jumper & Dunstall's 100th goal for the year. And Clarko, Yze and several other future Hawthorn coaching staff playing for Melbourne, with Clarko tagging and annoying the hell out of Johnny Platten!

2. The 2004 "Line in the Sand" game vs Essendon: it was a bad loss at the time, but it set the scene for our club to not get pushed around ever again. The highlights include Chance Bateman bloodying a number of Bomber heads and Richie Vandenberg smacking the rest of them (and earning his life membership of the club!).

If you say you're a Hawthorn supporter, you MUST watch these games.

;)
I attended both those game...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back