1991 round 1
1992 vs Hawthorn at Waverley
1993 vs Collingwood
1997 vs St Kilda
2005 showdown early season
2009 Showdown
Petrenko Game
Walsh Showdown
Sirengate game, on a Thursday night vs Collingwood.

The win against North after being absolutely flogged the week before by Brisbane.

Or there was a win at home against West Coast, Jason McCartney hit a huge torp, I think WCE were top at the time.

Lost to Syndey who were bottom the week after too if I remember correctly

Showdown 24, when even Luke Jericho was involved in the rough stuff, Bernie got whacked too but went on to win the medal and we somehow gutsed it out for a tight win.

The 1993 game against North Melbourne has always been a favourite of mine.

Another favourite that doesn't often get brought up very often is the drought breaker Showdown in 2004.

Port coming off 7 straight Showdown wins and sitting 5-1 after 6 games while the Crows languishing equal bottom with only 1 win and 5 losses.

It was a Port home game and the stage was set for another Port win, but in the words of the late Ted Whitten.

"WE STUCK IT RIGHT UP THEM !!!!"

Last edited:
Showdown back in 2000 (I think?) was a good one. We were down by 7 goals in the 3rd quarter then Roo went berserk and almost single handedly dragged us across the line.

EDIT: this is the one

I still remember that game

It was a Port home game and there was a big uproar at the time because Channel 7 showed the game on a delayed telecast as it wasn't sold out.

Those were the days!
Just hurts even more to look at the current state of our list then look back at that and see a midfield with the likes of Ricciuto AND McLeod turning it on in there (didn't even see Goodwin or Edwards in that video, and Stenglein is there because it was the pre-Thommo era). Not to mention Shaun Rehn in the ruck and Darren Jarman cruising about the place.

Just hurts even more to look at the current state of our list then look back at that and see a midfield with the likes of Ricciuto AND McLeod turning it on in there (didn't even see Goodwin or Edwards in that video, and Stenglein is there because it was the pre-Thommo era). Not to mention Shaun Rehn in the ruck and Darren Jarman cruising about the place.
Feels like looking at the early 2000’s Aus cricket team to now.

Western Bulldogs Elimination Final 2015, best game I’ve been to, I also went to the Geelong Prelim but that game was electric, the atmosphere, hugging random fans, tears flowing and coming back on the bus with no voice for the whole week.

One of my favourite games for sure - but I think this thread is intended to be restricted to the regular season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder. Had we won a premiership then Cornes keeps his job for at least a year longer and we're probably not in the market for a coach for the 1997 season.
Both Cornes boys have the option of playing for the AFC

I’ll throw in a left field nomination for a game that’s was played in front of few Crows fans and is probably now long forgotten. However it was an incredibly gutsy away win against incredible odds with a late come back. In the context of our season it was critical.

2002 Round 17: Adelaide 15-3 (93) d Geelong 12-18 (90) at Kardinia Park.

That was the year that we finished 3rd with a 15-7 record, made the PF against Collingwood when our chances were greatly reduced by Jason Cloke KO’ing Tyson Edwards early in the game. The Geelong win was in a run of 7 wins in the last 8 minor round games.

The game was won by Mark Riccuito kicking 3 very late goals when moved to FF when the team was behind and kicking into a strong breeze.
Is this when Ayres flipped the bird to the crowd?

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

God, I remember that game. One of my all time favourites. Even if we'd lost, or even if it hadn't been a Crows game at all it would have still been one of my favourites. Just an absolute shoot out, 2 teams playing flat out attacking football from start to finish with a seemingly endless procession of stunning goals all day.

If every team every week played like those two did that day, this would be a much, much better competition.

Ton of wins that I could count as the best we’ve had in H&A history, so I’m gonna choose between the ones I’ve seen live

For me, that’s absolutely R2, 2015. Went to see this game fully expecting us to go back to our mediocre norm after smashing North, but we continued on our merry way. Smithers was incredible before he got concussed, and Eddie’s goal from the pocket was something to behold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back