Opinion Best home and away win in club history

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1, 2009 at the G was up there.

IIRC we had Tex, Cook and Petrenko making their debuts, as well as Hentschel playing his first game since doing his knee. We had to hold on in the last as Collingwood peppered the goals.

Round 4, 2005 vs Sydney was a heck of a win too. That was the game where Rutten earned his AA jumper against a peak Barry Hall. People started rating us after that match. Nicks played for Sydney that night.

Round 1, 2009 at the G was up there.

IIRC we had Tex, Cook and Petrenko making their debuts, as well as Hentschel playing his first game since doing his knee. We had to hold on in the last as Collingwood peppered the goals.

Round 4, 2005 vs Sydney was a heck of a win too. That was the game where Rutten earned his AA jumper against a peak Barry Hall. People started rating us after that match. Nicks played for Sydney that night.
The week before that was the first time I ever met cmndstab at training (As well as I think Elite Crow?) and I remember looking at our team and said to our dear commander. We're looking good, I think we're going to win.

He looked at me saying, nah, Collingwood's still good.

Well. Who was right in the end ;)

The week before that was the first time I ever met cmndstab at training (As well as I think Elite Crow?) and I remember looking at our team and said to our dear commander. We're looking good, I think we're going to win.

Given they smashed us a few weeks ago, I think stabby was right in the end!

I spoke to EC and it wasn’t him

Another good game was Round 1 2011 against the Hawks.

Dangerfield and Walker were immense with 7 goals between them.

We trailed all night until the 4th quarter and we came home strong. Brodie Smith was on debut and had some great moments.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
That was the most unbelievable game. What that highlights package doesn’t show is that Essendon we’re doing the same thing, and were in front, up until the last quarter. It was the most ridiculously attacking game of footy I’ve seen.

I reckon that was also the game where the roof was open until half time, then they closed it for the 2nd half once rain started. I don't remember that happening before at the footy.

Great thread!

The 2012 SF against Freo where we came back from 4 or 5 goals down is my pick. Only about 30,000 in the house that night after we shat the bed the week before against Sydney, but remains the loudest crowd I've experienced at a game.

Notable mentions

• Rd 17 1997 - 137 point winners v Richmond
  • Whatever game McLeod kicked the winner against Hawthorn in 1995.
  • Whatever game Mark Ricciuto decked Dean Kemp and the noise reverberated around Footy Park.

A couple in 2012 stick out for me
R6 - vs Sydney in Sydney by 5 points, Sydney if I remember were undefeated and hadnt lost at the SCG in eons. Brent Reilly took a match changing mark & I remember Tex kicking 4 or 5 of which 2 or 3 were a long way out. I was there and I remember the Sydney crowd murmuring what's he doing he won't make the distance from there!

The next week against Geelong, up by 10 goals at half time, Geelong reigning premier, was total team football

Belting the crap out of Port and Ricky Henderson kicks 6

Kicking 18 goals in a half vs GWS (OK it was their first year)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great thread!

The 2012 SF against Freo where we came back from 4 or 5 goals down is my pick. Only about 30,000 in the house that night after we shat the bed the week before against Sydney, but remains the loudest crowd I've experienced at a game.

Notable mentions

• Rd 17 1997 - 137 point winners v Richmond
  • Whatever game McLeod kicked the winner against Hawthorn in 1995.
  • Whatever game Mark Ricciuto decked Dean Kemp and the noise reverberated around Footy Park.
Great win. But wasn’t a home and away game…

One that hasnt gotten much love was the regular season win vs the Cats in 2017. If we had won the premiership, this would have been the pivotal moment.

It's easy to forget context as the years go past, but there were huge question marks heading into this one. We were doing ok on the ladder, but we had a reputation as a club that couldn't beat finals teams. And there was no one more finals hardened than Geelong at that point after Hawthorn's decline. The Dangerfield factor was still hot, but they had come into our house and embarrassed us the year before (that Seedsman miss...), and game after game against them seemed to follow the same script with us allowing them a loose man down back and kicking it straight to him, and their harder nuts bullying us. They'd handled us rather easily when we played a few weeks earlier in Kardinia.

This was the game where we turned that around. We stood up to them, out muscled them, and showed we could beat them. It set the tone for what would follow in the prelim. As meaningful a regular season win as we've ever had.

The other one that would have more significance had it not been in a season with a finals flop was the second showdown in 2005.

We were enjoying a suprise season, and on a big winning streak, but I think most of us still thought that it was going to come undone. Port were the raining premiers, had owned most of our recent history against them, and had rounded into ominous form after a slow start to the year. There was a feel in the City that Port were the team set for a big finals campaign.

The game itself was hard fought. We got out to a lead at one point, but they reeled it in. They came at us, narrowed the margins, we took their best punches counter punched and held them off. This didnt have the feel of luck, or anything else. We'd taken their best punches, and it wasnt enough. They'd given it everything in front of their home crowd, and we were better. The sealing moment, as it was so many times that year, a huge Roo goal.

Added points for it being the one time that we wore arguably the most popular guernsey in our history, and Port wore the bananas in pyjamas get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back