Best home and away wins in your clubs history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Might do what I think is the best win and toughest h&a loss vs each current team from an Adelaide perspective

Brisbane
Best win - Rd 20, 2011 - Came back from 4 goals down at 3/4 time to win 110-105
Worst loss - Rd 10, 2011 - Brisbane had won 1 game to this point and smashed us by 40 points at Footy Park

Carlton
Best win - Rd 22, 2009 - We don't really have many memorable wins vs Carlton (There was a game in the 90s I think where Ricciuto dominated, but I cbf going game by game to find it) but one I do remember is 2009. Yeah, won by 12 goals. But it was a shootout early. Adelaide in scintalting form heading into finals. And Burton took mark of the year this day. Put us in such good form if you re-did the season in squiggle Adelaide is competing for the premiership.
Worst loss - Rd 11, 2004 - Carlton were meant to be trash. We were coming off a Semi Final and struggling. And Fevola kicked that bloody set shot goal from 50 in the pocket at the death.

Collingwood
Best win - Rd 2, 2005 - Came off a s**t season and had just lost to West Coast Rd 1, came out and beat Collingwood with a McLeod goal on the run, on the boundary, on his non-preferred foot from 40.
Worst loss - Rd 7, 2003 - Tarrant kicked a goal after the siren to win it 114-109

Essendon
Best win - Rd 11, 2009 - one of the most accurate shootouts I've witnessed. Still laugh when Essendon fans say 'you only won as you kicked straight' yeah, 21.4.130 is straight. But so is 18.6.114.... We still had more scoring shots...
Worst loss - tie Rd 1, 2007 and Rd 1, 2013 - Came off very good season bowing out in the Preliminary finals both times. Only to rebound against Essendon with piss poor efforts the very next year at home

Fremantle
Best win - Rd 15, 2009 - Not many great wins (we had a frustrating one in 2005 just holding off a comeback) so I'll just go with the game we kept Fremantle to 1.7.13...….Only for them to cut their only goal scorer the next week
Worst loss - Rd 1, 2010 - Barlow's debut. Dominated us, and it lead to the most arrogant footy supporter I've ever seen come to the Adelaide board and troll and troll and every time we play each other since he trolls. Cant remember his name, but I remember the person.

Geelong
Best win - Rd 17, 2013 - We were 12th, 2 games out of finals. Geelong were 2nd, % behind Hawthorn. Dangerfield and Walker both out. And we pulled a game out of our arse with Bartel and Taylor both missing shots at goal in the final 2 minutes.
Worst loss - Rd 18, 2009 - I'll happily admit Paul Chapman dominated us that day (Bullshit he only got 1 vote from 24 touches and 6 goals.) But take him or Mathew Nicholls out of the game and Adelaide stroll to victory.

Gold Coast
Best win - All 11? - When our lowest ever score and their highest produces a 4 goal win you can see there's been nothing good here
Best loss - N/A - Never lost to them. Best h2h record in AFL History. Even better than Collingwood-University

I'll do the rest later
Need to head to work.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I remember watching this game and I literally couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I was in a pub and when a friend walked in and said hello to me, I literally couldn't even acknowledge her or even say hi as I was so fixated on what was unfolding on the TV.

That last quarter made me stop, take a deep breath and say to myself "This is why footy is so f*****g amazing!"

I watched that one at the sports bar at Crown. Not something I do very often but the atmosphere was electric, I was jumping up and down high fiving randoms on the final siren, it was awesome :D

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great thread.

Home is easy: round 10 2001 v Essendon - the “if it bleeds we can kill it “ game. The most important game in merged club history that started an incredible winning streak on the road to to the 2001 flag.

Away is a bit harder and a clear cut choice doesn’t come to mind. Two of my favourites would be v West Coast in 2007 (a stunning upset) and against port in 2008 (40+ point comeback in the rain at Football Park).

DrEvil_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Rd 22 1996 vs Melbourne. The Dees wanted to kill off our club. Beat them by 1 point and made finals, oh and also made Richmond 9th lol.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
54 point comeback against Geelong in '06 would have to be up there.

Others that come to mind is Port this year, and IIRC we beat port by 2 points in a nail biter in '98 I think. That was a the moment I became a footy fan, as opposed to someone who said they liked it because their dad did.

Another that comes to mind was in 2003 or thereabouts and flogging Brisbane at the GABBA in a real big upset. Might've been '04? A real "things are coming together" kinda game.

Finally I remember us belting the Dogs by 120 odd points in 2011, was having a bad breakup at the time so watching Kennedy kick about a billion goals was real chicken soup for the soul

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Might do what I think is the best win and toughest h&a loss vs each current team from an Adelaide perspective

Brisbane
Best win - Rd 20, 2011 - Came back from 4 goals down at 3/4 time to win 110-105
Worst loss - Rd 10, 2011 - Brisbane had won 1 game to this point and smashed us by 40 points at Footy Park

Carlton
Best win - Rd 22, 2009 - We don't really have many memorable wins vs Carlton (There was a game in the 90s I think where Ricciuto dominated, but I cbf going game by game to find it) but one I do remember is 2009. Yeah, won by 12 goals. But it was a shootout early. Adelaide in scintalting form heading into finals. And Burton took mark of the year this day. Put us in such good form if you re-did the season in squiggle Adelaide is competing for the premiership.
Worst loss - Rd 11, 2004 - Carlton were meant to be trash. We were coming off a Semi Final and struggling. And Fevola kicked that bloody set shot goal from 50 in the pocket at the death.

Collingwood
Best win - Rd 2, 2005 - Came off a s**t season and had just lost to West Coast Rd 1, came out and beat Collingwood with a McLeod goal on the run, on the boundary, on his non-preferred foot from 40.
Worst loss - Rd 7, 2003 - Tarrant kicked a goal after the siren to win it 114-109

Essendon
Best win - Rd 11, 2009 - one of the most accurate shootouts I've witnessed. Still laugh when Essendon fans say 'you only won as you kicked straight' yeah, 21.4.130 is straight. But so is 18.6.114.... We still had more scoring shots...
Worst loss - tie Rd 1, 2007 and Rd 1, 2013 - Came off very good season bowing out in the Preliminary finals both times. Only to rebound against Essendon with piss poor efforts the very next year at home

Fremantle
Best win - Rd 15, 2009 - Not many great wins (we had a frustrating one in 2005 just holding off a comeback) so I'll just go with the game we kept Fremantle to 1.7.13...….Only for them to cut their only goal scorer the next week
Worst loss - Rd 1, 2010 - Barlow's debut. Dominated us, and it lead to the most arrogant footy supporter I've ever seen come to the Adelaide board and troll and troll and every time we play each other since he trolls. Cant remember his name, but I remember the person.

Geelong
Best win - Rd 17, 2013 - We were 12th, 2 games out of finals. Geelong were 2nd, % behind Hawthorn. Dangerfield and Walker both out. And we pulled a game out of our arse with Bartel and Taylor both missing shots at goal in the final 2 minutes.
Worst loss - Rd 18, 2009 - I'll happily admit Paul Chapman dominated us that day (Bullshit he only got 1 vote from 24 touches and 6 goals.) But take him or Mathew Nicholls out of the game and Adelaide stroll to victory.

Gold Coast
Best win - All 11? - When our lowest ever score and their highest produces a 4 goal win you can see there's been nothing good here
Best loss - N/A - Never lost to them. Best h2h record in AFL History. Even better than Collingwood-University

I'll do the rest later
Need to head to work.
Pretty awesome. Some good games in there and I remember most.

You guys were good value in 2009 actually. I didn;t think you would beat the Pies first up at the G and you got them. I went to that game, it was a steal. They had knocked you out the year before as you know where you guys let a 5 goal lead slip. The shootout vs the Dons and Blues were gold as was your finals games against the Dons and Crows. Strong showings against the Hawks in both games but they weren't very good that year.

You've had some classics against the Eagles. A low scoring game in 95 I think and you got up 7.14 to 6.10, Mod's getting his usual assy goals and a soccered one. You smashed them in 1997 much like you did against the Dockers game you speak of, restricting them to just 4 goals for the game. Heaps of good games against them, like the one last year.

The 2013 against us I recall vividly. * we lost a few that year we should have won.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
54 point comeback against Geelong in '06 would have to be up there.

Others that come to mind is Port this year, and IIRC we beat port by 2 points in a nail biter in '98 I think. That was a the moment I became a footy fan, as opposed to someone who said they liked it because their dad did.

Another that comes to mind was in 2003 or thereabouts and flogging Brisbane at the GABBA in a real big upset. Might've been '04? A real "things are coming together" kinda game.

Finally I remember us belting the Dogs by 120 odd points in 2011, was having a bad breakup at the time so watching Kennedy kick about a billion goals was real chicken soup for the soul
Yeah good games. Apart from the first:)

1998 it was. I think it was Poole a long haired guy who missed twice at the end to win it for Port. May have hit the post.

It was 2003 against the Lions Judd's 5 in the first half. You beat them in round 3 also 2002 ending their unbeaten run winning by 46 at Subi and in 2004 beat them when Lappin I think missed at the death. Could have been Power if he played, I think it was Lappin though ( he may have had broken ribs ) you also beat them late 2004 at the GABBA which all but sealed a finals birth for you guys. You went on a streak to make the 8 that year, and big things were tipped for the following.

2011 game was good.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Swans vs Roos SCG 1999 was a corker. I think the Swannies were 7 goals down. Roos would get them 4 years later coming from 39 down at 3qtr time lol. Petrie at the end I think.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Port vs Crows 97 both games were intense

Last edited:

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
2002 Round 8 vs Brisbane.

Deadset epic.
Great game and great year for the Pies. I believed in your boys that night and saw the signs a year before that you would be a good side.

That Port qualifying final was unreal. Betheras stepped up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Round 2 2016 comes to mind for me. Was an unbelievable atmosphere, BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! was hugging everyone in sight.
Good game. I was there.

( And so was my stunt double )

stunt man.jpg

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Swans vs Roos SCG 1999 was a corker. I think the Swannies were 7 goals down. Roos would get them 4 years later coming from 39 down at 3qtr time lol. Petrie at the end I think.
That 2nd game you mentioned was where the Swans trainer Wally Jackson had a heart attack near the players bench.

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Adelaide. Last home game of 1993 (vs Collingwood, Sunday twilight game at Footy Park) that got them into the finals for the first time. The crowd noise was insane that afternoon / evening.

Round 8 2002 was pretty good. The Lions were ridiculously good and were smashing everyone.

We got up by a few goals. Rocca and Tarrant both played well, from memory. But then they stormed back and I thought we were stuffed, but we somehow held them off. Headland had a chance to set a teammate up for a shot at goal with 5 seconds left and dropped his bundle, trying to kick the leather off it and instead kicking it straight to one of several pies in the defensive 50.

Those games nearly kill you to watch but leave you buzzing for days afterwards.

Buckley was unbelievable that night. 31 possessions, 2 goals, 17 contested possessions, 3 tackles and 9 clearances.

Round 4 1987 against the Tigers was pretty special. The Tiges led at 3 qtr time 14.8 (92) to the Pies 7.11(53). A 9 goal to 1 last qtr saw the Pies get up by 10 points. It was out at Waverley. Great drive home that night.
Reminds me of the 2018 sanfl preliminary final
Down by 47 points in the 3rd to win by 5
Then add the other drama including 19 men on the field while north scored 0.2 in the 4th and sweating on the tribunal to like 11pm Monday.

Ecstasy to fear to joy in 24hours

(There was a game in the 90s I think where Ricciuto dominated, but I cbf going game by game to find it)
That was in 2001 at Princes Park. Massive storm during the game (McKay commented that he could feel the heat of a lightning strike), we were favourites but Adelaide stood firm. I specifically remember one instance where Roo grabbed Whitnall by the shoulders and basically bodyslammed him... which I found amazing considering how fat he was.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Tuohy's winner against the Dees after the siren last year.

Absolute belter!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back