Best home and away wins in your clubs history?

Remove this Banner Ad

In regards to the bolded, there was a game between North Melbourne and Sydney in 1991 when Sydney had kicked 19.6 to half time, but only kicked 2.2 to 14.14 in the 2nd half and lost by 9 goals, 21.8.134 to 27.26.188.

Imagine the scoreline if North kicked straight!

When was the last time a side kicked 21 goals and still lost? Probably not in the past 20 years given how the game has changed since 1991.

When was the last time a side kicked 21 goals and still lost? Probably not in the past 20 years given how the game has changed since 1991.

Without looking too closely, probably Kangaroos kicking 25.9 and losing to Essendon's 27.9 back in 2001.

For Richmond, Round 23 in 2014 vs first-placed Sydney has to be up there as one of the best and most satisfying H&A wins in our history. We were 3-10 for the season and that win completed the 9-game winning streak that saw us make finals. Yeah we got thrashed afterwards but I believe that this win helped us break a ~34-year problem of making two finals in a row to become constant finalists, which we now have become as we have only missed one year out of the past 5 years.

Was tense in the end but we just got over the line by 3 points.

For Richmond, Round 23 in 2014 vs first-placed Sydney has to be up there as one of the best and most satisfying H&A wins in our history. We were 3-10 for the season and that win completed the 9-game winning streak that saw us make finals. Yeah we got thrashed afterwards but I believe that this win helped us break a ~34-year problem of making two finals in a row to become constant finalists, which we now have become as we have only missed one year out of the past 5 years.

Was tense in the end but we just got over the line by 3 points.

That was a cracker.

Rance and Riewoldt were immense.

2006 comeback against Geelong at Kardinia Park - missing Judd and 9 goals down halfway through the third quarter, demonstrated we were the real deal that year. Still the last time we have beaten Geelong in Geelong.

The after the siren (version 2) against Port this year. No explanation needed but only the second occasion in AFL history that a side was never in front from siren to siren but snatched the 4 points anyway.

The game at the same venue a year later sticks with me. It was a real statement we made that day.

Early 1992 (Round 4?) when we beat the Eagles at Subi was an early statement of intent for that season. The only Ablett dominated game I was lucky enough to see live.

Late 2009 was the one that was so important for that team. Up against the team that knocked us off the season before. Still seen as handbaggers. Came back from the dead to win it which pushed us on to two more flags.

The game at the same venue a year later sticks with me. It was a real statement we made that day.

Early 1992 (Round 4?) when we beat the Eagles at Subi was an early statement of intent for that season. The only Ablett dominated game I was lucky enough to see live.

Late 2009 was the one that was so important for that team. Up against the team that knocked us off the season before. Still seen as handbaggers. Came back from the dead to win it which pushed us on to two more flags.
Yep. We beat them by just over 6 goals. That was one of my favourites too.

The 92 game was unreal and we booted 11 goals in the 2nd term. Ablett was sensational, you were lucky to be there.

Bartel at the death, sublime.

Couldn't pick 5, had to pick an extra one.

Round 15 1993. North Melbourne 19.15.129 def Essendon 13.13.91.
North's final quarter is the best quarter of football I've ever seen, totally dominated the eventual premiers. Carey, Longmire, McAdams and Roberts were in blazing form.
Round 10 1993. North Melbourne 19.12.126 def Collingwood 5.13.43. McAdam has a blinder kicking 9 in front of the Victoria Park faithful. How Buckley thought Collingwood were a better chance of winning a premiership than North after that game defies belief.:)
Round 14 1990. North Melbourne 31.14.200 def Melbourne 10.13.73. Longmire kicked 14 as North cruised to an easy victory.
Round 17 1996. North Melbourne 28.15.183 def Melbourne 11.4.70. Carey kicked 11 in one of the most dominant individual performances I've ever seen.
Round 1 2002. North Melbourne 12.11.83 def Port Adelaide 11.7.73. First game after the Carey scandal and North pull off a stirring win away in Adelaide.
Round 11 2003. North Melbourne 13.14.92 def Richmond 13.11.89. The Jason McCartney game.

1998, round 10 v Western Bulldogs- Dogs kick 8 goals to none in the first quarter, then we kick 8 goals to none in the 2nd quarter. The rest of the game is an arm wrestle and the Eagles win 113-100.

1999, round 4 v Essendon- both sides came in undefeated, Eagles win 97-23.

2002, round 5 v Brisbane- even the most optismistic Eagles fans thought we would cop a hiding in this one against the premiers, Eagles win 121-75.

2006, round 2 v Adelaide- two highest finishing sides (on the ladder) from the season before, both expected to challenge for the flag again. Eagles win 90-88.

2006, round 10 v Geelong- the comeback

2011, round 16 v Geelong- big friday night game against the top dogs to prove our top four credentials, Eagles win 96-88

2016, round 21 v GWS- chasing a top four berth against high quality opposition away and trailling all night, nic nat goals on the siren, eagles win 97-96

Melbourne had a score of 131 and lost against a North in 2016, 'only' kicked 20 goals though.

You're right though it doesnt happen anymore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne vs west coast 2017 one of my favourite home and away games.

11 lead changes, our first win in Perth in 13 years and we had our amazing goal in the last 30 seconds moment to steal the game moment which we've rarely had

2016, round 21 v GWS- chasing a top four berth against high quality opposition away and trailling all night, nic nat goals on the siren, eagles win 97-96[/QUOTE]

I was there and ouch. It was a great win though, your guys hung very tough that game.

2016, round 21 v GWS- chasing a top four berth against high quality opposition away and trailling all night, nic nat goals on the siren, eagles win 97-96

I was there and ouch. It was a great win though, your guys hung very tough that game.[/QUOTE]
yeah great match, even objectively. Two good sides going at it.

R18 2004 VS North Melbourne- coming off a 141 point loss at the Gabba (189-48) we were able to shut down North Melbourne and win a ugly game kicking 5.19.49 to 5.12.42

R9 2013 vs North Melbourne- Down almost 30 points in the last quarter and Jared petrenko kicked the winning goal with 16 seconds left.

R16 2010 vs Geelong- Beat the reigning premiers by 11 points on a Friday Night in a poor season.

Rd22 1998, North v Dogs at the G on a Friday night.

Absolute cracking game of footy, fast paced, tough, high scoring, Carey won it for us with a burst of goals in the first half, but really, it was a young Brent Harvey who sealed it.

Harvey doesn't get enough credit for how quickly he established himself as a top line player in a very very good side.

1998, round 10 v Western Bulldogs- Dogs kick 8 goals to none in the first quarter, then we kick 8 goals to none in the 2nd quarter. The rest of the game is an arm wrestle and the Eagles win 113-100.

1999, round 4 v Essendon- both sides came in undefeated, Eagles win 97-23.

2002, round 5 v Brisbane- even the most optismistic Eagles fans thought we would cop a hiding in this one against the premiers, Eagles win 121-75.

2006, round 2 v Adelaide- two highest finishing sides (on the ladder) from the season before, both expected to challenge for the flag again. Eagles win 90-88.

2006, round 10 v Geelong- the comeback

2011, round 16 v Geelong- big friday night game against the top dogs to prove our top four credentials, Eagles win 96-88

Very good games. I remember them all.

I knew in 2002 you'd beat Brisbane that day. As soon as Worsfold was named coach, I knew you'd make the finals in 2002. You had a very good last game up in Tassie to make the 8 against North. A good old fashioned shootout.

Very good games. I remember them all.

I knew in 2002 you'd beat Brisbane that day. As soon as Worsfold was named coach, I knew you'd make the finals in 2002. You had a very good last game up in Tassie to make the 8 against North. A good old fashioned shootout.

ahhh yep i remember that one, was a do or die clash. twas in Canberra though I think.

Rounds 10 & 11 2006 (54 & 44 point comebacks against Geelong and Carlton)

Round 19 2009 (against the 13-5 Bulldogs at Etihad, with the young Eagles 5-13. Hang on to cause a huge upset)

Round 16 2011 against 13-1 Geelong.

Round 8 2013. Naita after the siren against North on a Friday night. The final play happened because of a dodgy high free kick to Adam Selwood. Bigfooty broke.

Any game my club wins which is a lot more than it use too be.

Last edited:
My favourites
1) 2010 Rnd 16 vs Geelong
2) 2016 Rnd 4 vs Sydney
3) 2014 Rnd 15 vs Port
4) 2011 Rnd 1 vs Hawthorn
5) 2014 Rnd 9 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back