Best Incoming Lions Trade Ever

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Early days but Lachie Neale must be right up there as the best or one of the Lions best ever trades since the Bears/Lions merger.

Pick 2 for berry and McCluggage swung the pendulum.

Berry signed a few weeks into 2017 when the kids were routinely leaving. Set the scene for others to do the same.

So many things had to go right for it to happen the way it did.

Probably not the best trade ever but still an important moment that lead to the position we're in today.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Beams to Collingwood trade. We shed a ticking time bomb for two first round picks, and as a bonus it was the scum who we ripped off. It was a masterstroke by Noble & friends, especially since we were in a bad negotiating position to begin with. We needed another first-round pick to get Neale, so Collingwood were trying to force us to take less than our demanded price. Making that side trade with Gold Coast swung the leverage back to our side. And it made up for any disappointment that we may have had for missing out on De Goey with the first Beams trade.

Neale and Cameron are the best incoming players we've received, but we also paid a fair price for both of them at the time, they've just gone on to outperform it.

Neale, Cameron, Michael, Zorko (was technically a trade), Stef, Hodge. If you want to stretch the parameters slightly, Lynchy worked pretty well.

There's arguments for all of them to be labelled "best" for varying reasons.

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Beams to Collingwood trade. We shed a ticking time bomb for two first round picks, and as a bonus it was the scum who we ripped off. It was a masterstroke by Noble & friends, especially since we were in a bad negotiating position to begin with. We needed another first-round pick to get Neale, so Collingwood were trying to force us to take less than our demanded price. Making that side trade with Gold Coast swung the leverage back to our side. And it made up for any disappointment that we may have had for missing out on De Goey with the first Beams trade.

Neale and Cameron are the best incoming players we've received, but we also paid a fair price for both of them at the time, they've just gone on to outperform it.

The way De Goey keeps getting himself into trouble I am glad we didnt end up keeping pick 6 to take him. He would surely have FIGJAMed out of here at 2 years like Prince Aish. Already reports of poor culture under Rockys leadership. Imagine having De Goey in that mix whilst our football department has been shedding former greats as coaches. Would have been a disaster

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Pick 2 for berry and McCluggage swung the pendulum.

Berry signed a few weeks into 2017 when the kids were routinely leaving. Set the scene for others to do the same.

So many things had to go right for it to happen the way it did.

Probably not the best trade ever but still an important moment that lead to the position we're in today.
I’ll make the call that as great at Neale is and will be that Berry and McCluggage was a turning point for the club. Will go down as one of the best moves the clubs has made in its history.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I’ll make the call that as great at Neale is and will be that Berry and McCluggage was a turning point for the club. Will go down as one of the best moves the clubs has made in its history.
As good as the Neale trade was, as you said, this was the most defining trade in our club's history IMO.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No 1 - pick 2 becomes McLuggage and Berry
no 2 - get out of jail Beames trade to Collingwood, contributing to....
no 3 - the “best footballer In the league“ for 2 first rounders (Neale)
equal no 4 - Charlie Cameron
equal no 4 - Lyons for nothing
equal no 4 - what ended up being Zorko
honourable mentions
Lynch ( so long ago I can’t remember the details)
Michael even though I liked Molloy
Martin which for at least two years we all thought was a dud. (Hope for CAC yet)

Pikuks

Debutant
Aug 19, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So difficult to split:
Neale
McLuggae & Berry
Cameron
Lyons
Zorko
etc.

Not a trade but to keep it interesting, I'll throw in the 2014 draft where we got Harris Andrews with pick 61.

Last edited:
We drafted Martin Pike but I sort of look upon him as a trade given he had been at three clubs (if you include Fitzroy) before he came to us and reportedly was only drafted after the leadership group gave it the all clear which is generally not what happens with draftees.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In order.

Quinlan , Neale , Zorko, Michael, Martin , Pike.

Worst.

Fevola. Anything else pales into insignificance.
I never really understood why Fevola was so bad. He was the reining Coleman medalist iirc. We traded a lot to get him and it was obviously a risk, but l suppose the thing that made it really bad was we didn't put someting in the contract that helps us in case he did something bad e.g. gambling etc.

Back