Best individual game of the decade - Buddy 1st - Stevie J 2nd - Lecca 3rd

Remove this Banner Ad

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
There's a column in the HS listing the top 10 individual games of the decade.
It's behind a paywall but I can post the whole article if allowed.

It's subjective I know, and it's a Melbourne paper, but can't see how Johnson beats Lecca.
Johnson was playing at home in a side that won by 30 goals and they were doing party tricks.
Lecca playing away.

Nothing serious, just a bit of filler during the off-season.

Thoughts?

1. LANCE FRANKLIN (Round 10, 2012)
In a decade where goals dried up to their lowest levels in half a century, Lance Franklin’s 13 goals against North Melbourne in Launceston in 2012 was a thankful throwback to the big bags of yesterday.

The then Hawk forward hadn’t kicked a goal until late in the first term before he unleashed his power.

His 13.4 prompted North Melbourne coach Brad Scott to call it “one of the best individual displays I’ve seen in my time in footy.

“We haven’t seen a goalkicking effort like that since the glory days of the full-forwards of (Jason) Dunstall, (Gary) Ablett and (Tony) Lockett.”

2. STEVE JOHNSON (Round 19, 2011)
It was the game that ended Dean Bailey’s AFL coaching career, but it was also one of Steve Johnson’s finest individual moments.

The Cats mauled on Melbourne by 189 points and Johnson took his already sublime standard to an even higher plain.

Stats don’t necessarily make a game.

But try these “Stevie J” moments on for size – seven goals, 34 disposals, 10 goal assists, 11 scoring assists, nine marks, six inside 50s, six marks inside 50s and five clearances, yet amazingly only two Brownlow votes.

The umps went for Joel Selwood (43 disposals), even if the Herald Sun’s Scott Gullan gave Johnson an “11 out of 10” for “one of the more extraordinary individual performances seen.”

3. MARK LECRAS (Round 16, 2010)
The man himself dubbed it “one of those games where you don’t want the final siren to go” as Mark LeCras feasted on the hapless Bombers in 2010.

In a superb display of precision goalkicking and a capacity of being in the right place at the right time, the West Coast forward kicked 12 goals and two behinds in one of the best performances of the modern era.

No one has ever kicked more goals at Docklands.

LeCras kicked seven goals in the first half and brought up his 12th for the game with only three minutes remaining.

Mark LeCras humiliated the Bombers in 2010.
Mark LeCras humiliated the Bombers in 2010.

From the top 3 it reads more as 'best individual efforts from forwards who kicked a big bag', and in that regard you'd have to put Lecca at 2 behind Buddy and ahead of Johnson (who obviously had a large midfield contribution in that game).

But I'm sure there have been performances just as influential if not moreso, from players in other positions up the ground.

From the top 3 it reads more as 'best individual efforts from forwards who kicked a big bag', and in that regard you'd have to put Lecca at 2 behind Buddy and ahead of Johnson (who obviously had a large midfield contribution in that game).

But I'm sure there have been performances just as influential if not moreso, from players in other positions up the ground.
The next 7 in order are are:

Ablett - round 8, 2011
Sam Mitchell - 2013 prelim final
Danger - round 12, 2016
Buddy - round 23, 2017
Rance - round 23, 2014
Pav - round 19, 2012 &
Dusty - round 3, 2017

Honestly, I'd have LeGod's game as number 1. Both Franklin's and Stevie J's games came in absolute thumpings against their respective teams. It wasn't actually hard for them to help win against the opposing team - they just flattracked in record breaking margins. In addition, they were playing for teams at the top of the table, so the service from the mids and overall support was far greater than it was for LeGod in 2010.

LeGod, on the other hand, was the main focal point in a team that finished last. It was fully on his shoulders to provide the outlet for scoring, and the game itself was far, far more close than the other two (30 points compared to 115 and 189 respectively). LeCras was actually the reason why we won against Essendon, which can't be said for the other two.

Honestly, I'd have LeGod's game as number 1. Both Franklin's and Stevie J's games came in absolute thumpings against their respective teams. It wasn't actually hard for them to help win against the opposing team - they just flattracked in record breaking margins. In addition, they were playing for teams at the top of the table, so the service from the mids and overall support was far greater than it was for LeGod in 2010.

LeGod, on the other hand, was the main focal point in a team that finished last. It was fully on his shoulders to provide the outlet for scoring, and the game itself was far, far more close than the other two (30 points compared to 115 and 189 respectively). LeCras was actually the reason why we won against Essendon, which can't be said for the other two.
Very good points, he was literally our forward-line that day. Unfortunately, the AFL rates Buddy so highly that you'd never see Lecca at the top of their list. That was my thought-process 😂

Jack Darling vs Richmond last year.

20 kicks, 15 marks (6 contested, 8 inside 50), 6 goals 2, 2 goal assists.

A Carey-like influence on the game rather than a massive bag of goals. Kennedy has kicked 10 3 times but all came in eventual blowouts. Had 7 against the Bulldogs once to take the score to 73-45 in the 3rd quarter then finished up with 10 as that 7th ended up being the first of a 17-1 goal streak over a quarter and a half. Not often you are up by 22 points 10 minutes into the third then win by 123.

Anyway, Darling. After the circle jerk about how Richmond were unbeatable, Silvagni and Scarlett weren't fit to shine Rance's boots etc. it was pleasing to see Darling annihilate any Tigers defender who went near him. Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Houli, Vlastuin etc. all played and had no answer. Jeremy Cameron turned in a similar effort this year against a weakened Tigers defence.

This is obviously biased but Shuey deserves a mention for the 2018 GF IMO. Statistically rated as the best individual final of any player in the decade. I guess it depends on whether you are looking for the most dominant performance on remarkable basic stats (Lecca, Buddy, Johnson) or whether you also consider the magnitude of the game

Nothing against Stevie J, but that was basically an exhibition match where he did as he pleased. I can't believe he didn't get 3 votes though. 7 goals, 10 goal assists and 34 touches with only 2 clangers. Contributing towards 17 goals in a single game is bonkers.

Lecca was playing in a dud side (against another poor side admittedly), but bossed it. Made Fletcher, Spike McVeigh etc look like dills.

Nothing against Stevie J, but that was basically an exhibition match where he did as he pleased. I can't believe he didn't get 3 votes though. 7 goals, 10 goal assists and 34 touches with only 2 clangers. Contributing towards 17 goals in a single game is bonkers.

Lecca was playing in a dud side (against another poor side admittedly), but bossed it. Made Fletcher, Spike McVeigh etc look like dills.

Ah so he got 7 goals also. When i read it i thought he got 34 disposals and thought that wasnt to impressive lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shuey’s 2018 GF was superb and deserves to be up there.

A few other notable WC performances:

Dean Cox willing us over the line against Norf in Hobart, 2012
Daniel Kerr v Carlton in the 2011 semi-final
Elliot Yeo v Collingwood, 2018 QF
Brownlow Medallist Matt Priddis capping a fine performance against Norf in the 2015 prelim with a snap goal and arrogant gif-worthy celebration

Basically Lecras won us that game. We were straight up being smashed and Lecras kicking them from the boundary was the only thing keeping us in it.

If you watch the highlights almost all the goals were from terrible angles.

To be fair to Stevie J, 7 goals AND 10 goal assists is a ridiculous return. Statistically, You won’t get a more complete game as a forward like that again, I don’t think. To put that into context, Josh Kennedy, who has given off plenty of goals and I would say a selfless FF, had 10 goal assists for the whole year.

However, that was against an opposition who simply forgot they were in Geelong to play some football.

What made LeCras game ever more special was how ridiculously average we were that year. This wasn’t Judd, Cousins, Kerr putting on a midfield clinic and hitting LeCras in open space; this was a forward on an unstoppable run singlehandly taking the game away from an opposition. They had no answer. On the ground, in the air- it was his night.

And got an Essendon coach effectively sacked in the process. Which set in motion the saviour James Hird to come back to the club and spectacularly ruin it from the inside.

For some perspective of the game...

1) We won the spoon that year, as many have already pointed out
2) The leading possession winner for us after Matt Priddis was Adam Selwood
3) The next highest goal kicker for us was Ashton Hams, with three
4) Of the 22 players that night, only 9 eventually played in the 2015 Grand Final

A truly exceptional performance.

Basically Lecras won us that game. We were straight up being smashed and Lecras kicking them from the boundary was the only thing keeping us in it.

If you watch the highlights almost all the goals were from terrible angles.
Yep, I agree with that angle, but as the metrics for this list from the AFL seem all over the place, I would assume it'd be impossible to displace the golden goose and AA captain (sigh) Buddy, in public folklore.

To be fair to Stevie J, 7 goals AND 10 goal assists is a ridiculous return. Statistically, You won’t get a more complete game as a forward like that again, I don’t think. To put that into context, Josh Kennedy, who has given off plenty of goals and I would say a selfless FF, had 10 goal assists for the whole year.

However, that was against an opposition who simply forgot they were in Geelong to play some football.

What made LeCras game ever more special was how ridiculously average we were that year. This wasn’t Judd, Cousins, Kerr putting on a midfield clinic and hitting LeCras in open space; this was a forward on an unstoppable run singlehandly taking the game away from an opposition. They had no answer. On the ground, in the air- it was his night.

And got an Essendon coach effectively sacked in the process. Which set in motion the saviour James Hird to come back to the club and spectacularly ruin it from the inside.

To me Geelong would of still won that game if Stevie J had not played by 10 goals+ easy.

If Lecras had not played that game we would of lost by 10 goals easy.

That's why I rate Lecras' performance higher. He literally won the game for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back