Universal Love Best Individual performance from a Carlton player

Remove this Banner Ad

Lance Whitnall in a preseason game in Bendigo, took 19 marks and totally dominated ... even when they tried to play around him.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Think Kouta may have had 35 with 5 goals against the Kangas at princes park one day?
Regardless I think that cripps today played the best game I have seen a Carlton pkayer play. Add being capain and the circumstances of the week.
I am 59 years old and have seen us win 8 flags so have a fairly large data base to work off.

Fev's 8 vs Essendon during our greatest comeback of all time, SOS keeping Ablett goalless in the GF, Kouta's '99 PF, etc.

Then you have champions like Kernahan, Williams, Dominator, Jezza, Doull... it's really hard to pick. I'd pick a dominant game where it actually matters (finals, GF) so as much as that was Cripps' best game for us, I wouldn't say it was the best of all time.

Blue87

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2011
Willaston
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Fev's 8 vs Essendon during our greatest comeback of all time, SOS keeping Ablett goalless in the GF, Kouta's '99 PF, etc.

Then you have champions like Kernahan, Williams, Dominator, Jezza, Doull... it's really hard to pick. I'd pick a dominant game where it actually matters (finals, GF) so as much as that was Cripps' best game for us, I wouldn't say it was the best of all time.
I think it’s a good discussion to have considering we havn’t seen a performance like this in a long time. Chris Judd played a ripper in sydney in the wet the night of the royal wedding from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Simon Beaumont’s 8 goals in the first half vs Collingwood in 1999

Apparently not good enough to get the 3 Brownlow votes that day but it was the greatest day out I’ve witnessed in person. From the moment he tried to pass to Ratten in the goal square, miskicked and then saw the shank slide through for his first goal, to his opponent slipping and gifting him his 8th, via 2 incredibly dodgy free kicks and a couple of others where no one was within 50 metres of him - one of the truly most random, lucky, amazing games I’ve been too.

Blue Warrior

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
To me Kouta's 99 prelim is the best game as an individual I have seen just because of the opposition and it was a tight prelim final.
But Cripps was immense today a true leader of men I can't wait for him to hold up number 17 and he will.

Kouta had 38 and 5 vs North for Ratten's 200th in 2000.

Just scored and created things at will that day.
Just the 8 marks but 3 contested, and 24 contested possessions according to the records.

I came here to mention this performance.

Pretty sure he spent some of the match playing on some spud called Wayne Carey and took him to the cleaners.

Probably a bit harsh calling Carey a spud. Will probably go down in history as the second best ever AFL player to wear #18 :p

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Simon Beaumont’s 8 goals in the first half vs Collingwood in 1999

Apparently not good enough to get the 3 Brownlow votes that day but it was the greatest day out I’ve witnessed in person. From the moment he tried to pass to Ratten in the goal square, miskicked and then saw the shank slide through for his first goal, to his opponent slipping and gifting him his 8th, via 2 incredibly dodgy free kicks and a couple of others where no one was within 50 metres of him - one of the truly most random, lucky, amazing games I’ve been too.

That was indeed a day out for Beaumont. If my memory is correct though, he blotted the copybook in the 2nd half though when he dumped a simple handpass at SOS's bootlaces and the great man ripped his hammy off the bone picking it up.

Pretty sure it was the same game.

Dominator68

Team Captain
Nov 8, 2007
Belgium
AFL Club
Carlton
A couple of Kouta's games in 99(Swans and North spring to mind) right up there, plus his 99 Prelim effort against the filth and of course his game on the wing v West Coast. He was also BOG at half time in the 95 GF. What a player.

Judd v the Swans.

Diesel had a few games that he tore apart with his handball.

Sticks kicked ten vs Victoria in the rain.

That said, Cripps as good as any player I have ever seen.

Cripps performance today was the best i've ever seen.

Only competition i can think of are

Fev in 07 against essendon. From memory that was more a half of football. did he kick a goal in the first half? 1 maybe?
Gibbs a couple of years back against GCS where he had 30 odd and kicked 3 goals. Never seen a player have so much space.
Juddy in both elimination finals against Richmond & Essendon. although both were more amazing quarters rather than whole games.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
To me Kouta's 99 prelim is the best game as an individual I have seen just because of the opposition and it was a tight prelim final.
But Cripps was immense today a true leader of men I can't wait for him to hold up number 17 and he will.

Kouta given the intensity of the game. In that last quarter he basically one an AFL preliminary final on his own

Cripps today was up there given the gravity of the club situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back