Best Individual season you've seen from a player

Remove this Banner Ad

1989. About 13 million goals kicked that year.

2 dominant teams but a couple of other teams gave it a red hot go.
Sorry meant individual player, should've worded better i'll change it now

Tony Lockett in 1991:

- scored 127 goals in 17 appearances at an average of 7.47 goals per game
- started with 12 goals against the Crows, followed by tallies of 10 and 12 against Brisbane and Sydney
- finished the regular season with 13.3 against Carlton, 10 against the Crows and 11.1 against the Swans
- kicked 9 in the elimination final against Geelong to make it 43 in the space of the month

Patrick Dangerfield in 2016 or 17.

This is objectively true as verified by statistics;

danger2017.jpg

Daicos in 1990 kicking 97 goals as a non key forward. Most of them miracle goals as well. Incredibly he had seasons of 76, 75, 58 and 52 goals as well. Not bad for a bloke who spent so much time in the midfield. 1990 though was incomprehensible. Some of those goals. In 1991 he kicked 40 goals in 5 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely Dustin Martin's 2017 season, which was possibly the most dominant individual season ever played considering he wasn't a stay-at-home full forward in an era of crude defensive strategies.

1. Brownlow medal with record votes. The highest individual award in the Australian game.

2. Coaches' Association Champion Player Award (some consider this the Brownlow's 'more accurate' cousin)

3. AFL Players MVP award. Prone to hype bias, but this still means his peers voted him the best.

4. Gary Ayres Award for player of the finals series. Finals performances carry a far greater weight than non-finals in terms of difficulty and reputation.

5. Premiership medallion. Not an individual award but I doubt Richmond could have won it without Martin.

6. Norm Smith Medal, becoming the first man ever to win a Brownlow and a Normie in the same season. Many players and fans would give up a Brownlow or even two for a Normie, such is the greatness of being the best player in the most important game.

7. Club best-and-fairest, just to top it off casually.

Definitely Dustin Martin's 2017 season, which was possibly the most dominant individual season ever played considering he wasn't a stay-at-home full forward in an era of crude defensive strategies.

1. Brownlow medal with record votes. The highest individual award in the Australian game.

2. Coaches' Association Champion Player Award (some consider this the Brownlow's 'more accurate' cousin)

3. AFL Players MVP award. Prone to hype bias, but this still means his peers voted him the best.

4. Gary Ayres Award for player of the finals series. Finals performances carry a far greater weight than non-finals in terms of difficulty and reputation.

5. Premiership medallion. Not an individual award but I doubt Richmond could have won it without Martin.

6. Norm Smith Medal, becoming the first man ever to win a Brownlow and a Normie in the same season. Many players and fans would give up a Brownlow or even two for a Normie, such is the greatness of being the best player in the most important game.

7. Club best-and-fairest, just to top it off casually.

Fair season that.

I think Ablett in 2009 did all of those except for the Norm Smith medal, although he played a very good game Chapman was probably the right call.

Paul Salmon in the early nineties before the knee incident with Raines was probably the most dominant start to a season i have witnessed. He was so far ahead of his time no one could match up on him, scary good.

One that rarely gets a mention in the same vein is Tony Lockett in 1989. Until his suspension for backhanding McKenna, he'd kicked 70 goals in 9 games. Was slaughtering everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back