Best Individual season you've seen from a player

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Its never been a great award but it has become worse over time. The umpires literally only look at a couple of players each game. Why is why we see suchhigh winning scores.

Spot on. People still try and say the umpires are impartial and aren't affected by media bias. The way the votes have jumped for star players and only star players in the last few years it sure doesn't look like that.

Not sure what's becoming more irrelevant, All-Australian selections or the Brownlow. The first has openly become something the media just pick their favourite players - absolutely irrelevant of form - and the Brownlow is only one step removed.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Hudson was incredible but Ablett's 1993 and Lockett's 1991 were a whole different planet. Had both kept up their goal averages in the 5 games they did not play, Ablett would have finished with 160 and Lockett with 164 - without playing a final. In contrast, Hudson would have finished with 137 in a 22 game season.
But Hudson kicked 150 goals in the season I quoted not 137, and averaged 16 disposals a game. Your stats are hypothetical as neither of them did what you were quoting. Best season, not best part season.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hudson was incredible but Ablett's 1993 and Lockett's 1991 were a whole different planet. Had both kept up their goal averages in the 5 games they did not play, Ablett would have finished with 160 and Lockett with 164 - without playing a final. In contrast, Hudson would have finished with 137 in a 22 game season.

Hudson would have kicked 155 if he wasnt knocked out by a cheap shot from a thug Full Back.

But didnt.

Matthews would have won 3 or 4 Brownlows if not hated by umpires.

But didnt.

GAS would have won a few flags if he wasnt a selfishlazy flog who didnt want to train.

But didnt.

Lockett would have yadda yadda yadda......

Anyone can play the woulda game. Or we focus on actual.

Hudson actually kicked 150.

Matthews actually averaged 28 and 3.7 for an entire season.

Dunstall kicked 17. Fanning kicked 18.

Hawks and Lions 3 peated in the AFL era. Cats didnt. Tigers 2 peated and will be up and about next year.
Etc.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Everyone likes to talk about the more sexy Lockett and Ablett but Dunstall used to just get it done like no other.

In 1992 Dunstall finished second in the Brownlow with 18 votes. Scott Wynd had 20 votes. Lockett finished with 10 votes and Ablett with 9 votes. Anyway Brownlow is a sh*t award...

Dunstall that year played 23 games at average of 6.3 goals a game, and finished with 145 goals. His last game was in an EF at Subiaco where he kicked 6.0 (Sumich kicked 4.4) but Hawks lost by 13 after leading at 3QT. Fair to say if the Hawks had won that game he would've broken the goals record in a season of 150.

His goal tallies that year included:

- 7+ goals 11 times
- 9+ goals 6 times
- 12+ goals 4 times... including the 17.5 he kicked against Richmond in round 7.

3 Consecutive Seasons. How good was it to be alive and old enough to watch these times?

Lockett 1991
17 games
7.47 goals per game @ 71.35% accuracy
5+ goals in a game = 14 times
7+ goals in a game = 10 times
10+ goals in a game = 6
15+ goals in a game = 0
13.18 disposals per game
8.23 marks per game
10.47 scoring shots per game

Dunstall 1992
23 Games
6.30 goals per game @ 63.32% accuracy
10+ goals in a game = 4
15+ goals in a game = 1
14.91 disposals per game
8.65 marks per game
9.96 scoring shots per game

Ablett 1993
17 Games
7.29 goals per game @ 67.39% accuracy
10+ goals in a game = 5 times
15+ goals in a game = 0 times
14.47 disposals per game
6.53 marks per game
10.82 scoring shots per game

In 1992 Modra, Ablett and Dunstall all kicked more than 120 goals. In a sign of the times, 16 of the top 20 in the Coleman Medal race that season averaged more goals per game than what Hawkins did in winning the Coleman Medal this year.

Hawkins kicked 49 goals from 21 games, averaging 2.333 goals per game.

1606777342858.png

Here's this year's for a comparison.

1606777572816.png

Patrick Dangerfield in 2016 or 17.

This is objectively true as verified by statistics;

danger2017.jpg
What made 2016 so significant was that it was Danger's first season at Geelong. Usually it takes new recruits some time to adapt, e.g., Tim Kelly at WCE. Danger waltzed in, was BOG in his first game with 43 possessions, and went on to poll votes in 15 out of 23 games

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
3 Consecutive Seasons. How good was it to be alive and old enough to watch these times?

Lockett 1991
17 games
7.47 goals per game @ 71.35% accuracy
10+ goals in a game = 6
15+ goals in a game = 0
13.18 disposals per game
8.23 marks per game
10.47 scoring shots per game

Dunstall 1992
23 Games
6.30 goals per game @ 63.32% accuracy
10+ goals in a game = 4
15+ goals in a game = 1
14.91 disposals per game
8.65 marks per game
9.96 scoring shots per game

Ablett 1993
17 Games
7.29 goals per game @ 67.39% accuracy
10+ goals in a game = 5 times
15+ goals in a game = 0 times
14.47 disposals per game
6.53 marks per game
10.82 scoring shots per game

In 1992 Modra, Ablett and Dunstall all kicked more than 120 goals. In a sign of the times, 16 of the top 20 in the Coleman Medal race that season averaged more goals per game than what Hawkins did in winning the Coleman Medal this year.

Hawkins kicked 49 goals from 21 games, averaging 2.333 goals per game.

View attachment 1021060

Here's this year's for a comparison.

View attachment 1021063

Great memories watching them play back then. Also Bernie Quinlan a few years earlier. Paul Salmon had an unbelievable first season (or was it his second?). It was great having those big boys kick goals. I don't think we will ever get to those days again and the game is worse off for it.

Who here remembers rushing back into the club rooms after a game on a Saturday arvo to see who kicked a bag that day? Sometimes we rushed back to get away from those Thomastown & Fawkner thugs but that's a story for another time (apologies if I've offended anyone from Thomastown or Fawkner Ammo's teams).

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Great memories watching them play back then. Also Bernie Quinlan a few years earlier. Paul Salmon had an unbelievable first season (or was it his second?). It was great having those big boys kick goals. I don't think we will ever get to those days again and the game is worse off for it.

Who here remembers rushing back into the club rooms after a game on a Saturday arvo to see who kicked a bag that day? Sometimes we rushed back to get away from those Thomastown & Fawkner thugs but that's a story for another time (apologies if I've offended anyone from Thomastown or Fawkner Ammo's teams).

I'm pretty sure that Plugger and Chief are both on record as saying they used to check each other's progress throughout the afternoon. They used it to motivate themselves.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Alastair Lynch 1993 season. Never seen a player do what he could do and that is kick goals up one end then go back on the best forwards (Dunstan, Lockett, Modra, Ablett SR etc) and then defend the lead he helped get. He was so freakish, he could literally play any position on the ground and dominate. By any position, i mean ANY position.

I will call it and say he was the equal to 2-3 players on the ground at the same time.

Brisbane came a knocking the next year when Fitzroy was going arse up and tossed him the biggest contract ever seen at the time. Correct me on that but that's how i remember it.

Not long after he got chronic fatigue and was never the same.

If we are talking careers, he's not in my top 50 probably.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Alastair Lynch 1993 season. Never seen a player do what he could do and that is kick goals up one end then go back on the best forwards (Dunstan, Lockett, Modra, Ablett SR etc) and then defend the lead he helped get. He was so freakish, he could literally play any position on the ground and dominate. By any position, i mean ANY position.

I will call it and say he was the equal to 2-3 players on the ground at the same time.

Brisbane came a knocking the next year when Fitzroy was going arse up and tossed him the biggest contract ever seen at the time. Correct me on that but that's how i remember it.

Not long after he got chronic fatigue and was never the same.

If we are talking careers, he's not in my top 50 probably.

From memory it was 10 years and $1.8m, $180,000 per year. I don't think he was ever AA as a defender, he was selected on the bench in the AA side when he was at Fitzroy playing as a defender and was an AA forward.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
From memory it was 10 years and $1.8m, $180,000 per year. I don't think he was ever AA as a defender, he was selected on the bench in the AA side when he was at Fitzroy playing as a defender and was an AA forward.

He was full back in the 1993 AA team yet he kicked 68 goals for the year!

All Aust

Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
The year was 74. Everybody and their pet llama had voted KB in as player who dommed the year's comp. Wonderful body of work Hungry. No, holla, wait a minute.... The fly lavae have called in....We're going with Racehorse fer the Chas. Pew Pew Pew.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Kouta played the game at a different level to anybody else in 2000.
Was virtually unstoppable when on.
Suffered a knee injury late in the season and another again a year later, was never the same player.
Shone as bright as any for a brief moment.
As much as I dislike Carlton, I give credit where it is due.

Kouta in 2000 gets my vote. Most dominant player I have ever seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

danger2017.jpg
Danger wasn't even the best player of 2017.
Just goes to show how useless that Player Rating algorithm is.

Given Dusty's 2017 season does not appear on the list, his rating was therefore less than 27.2.

Meaning Patrick Dangerfield's 2017 season was AT LEAST 20% better than Dustin Martin's 2017 season.

😮😮😮

Just goes to show how useless that Player Rating algorithm is.

Given Dusty's 2017 season does not appear on the list, his rating was therefore less than 27.2.

Meaning Patrick Dangerfield's 2017 season was AT LEAST 20% better than Dustin Martin's 2017 season.

😮😮😮
Statistically it was.

Swanks McSwankserton

Senior List
May 12, 2020
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Spot on. People still try and say the umpires are impartial and aren't affected by media bias. The way the votes have jumped for star players and only star players in the last few years it sure doesn't look like that.

Not sure what's becoming more irrelevant, All-Australian selections or the Brownlow. The first has openly become something the media just pick their favourite players - absolutely irrelevant of form - and the Brownlow is only one step removed.
HOF seems to be heading towards a joke as well...

All Aust

Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

danger2017.jpg
Hmmmm. Quote the source and the metrics please. It still wont provide any evidence of objectivity. It actually produces a bias to the metrics used.
So when I typed Patrick Dangerfield 2017 "total rating" "33.9" into the search engine I get some info on a sex doll. Truth.

S_Saed17

Debutant
Jul 10, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

Agree on both points, especially the joke that is the All-Australian selection process

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Statistically it was.
Statistically Lachie Neale was better than 6 goal Dustin Martin in the 2019 QF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back