Best Individual season you've seen from a player

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Statistically Lachie Neale was better than 6 goal Dustin Martin in the 2019 QF.
Dusty played as forward. Those player ratings probably favor mids a bit.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Statistically Lachie Neale was better than 6 goal Dustin Martin in the 2019 QF.

Neale has legitimately turned into a gun. No question.

But Martin fecking destroyed Brisbane that night. Best on ground by a long long way.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I've never heard the commentators jizz themselves like they did whenever Kouta was near the ball in 2000.

Ratten still won the Rex Hunt Footy Panel player of the year award that year from memory. His numbers were ridiculous at the turn of the millennium.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I only watch Dees play so I'm gonna go with Shane Woewodin.

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Were you too young for Jim Stynes' 1991 season?

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

Incredibly disrespectful towards Cameron Bruce's first 3 games of 05.

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Kouta 2000 I think.

From the Eagles Jakovich in 94 and Cousins in 2005.

Kouta in 2000 has to be close to the best 'all-round' season.

Accounting for his getting injured in round 20, he averaged 27 disposals and 1.8 goals per game; for comparison, Dustin Martin in 2017 averaged 29 disposals and 1.5 goals, while Dangerfield's best season was 31 and 1.8 goals - both of those in a higher possession era generally.

But Kouta was also both #1 in the league in contested possessions per game AND #5 in contested marks per game (I think that's right). He was also arguably the best kick in the team.

He basically did it all that year - to be both the best contested ballwinner in the league and one of the best tall marking targets, while also having exquisite disposal and being a genuine forward target...

I think others have had better years - they've done their strengths better. But that's about as close to all-round as you can be.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Kouta in 2000 has to be close to the best 'all-round' season.

Accounting for his getting injured in round 20, he averaged 27 disposals and 1.8 goals per game; for comparison, Dustin Martin in 2017 averaged 29 disposals and 1.5 goals, while Dangerfield's best season was 31 and 1.8 goals - both of those in a higher possession era generally.

But Kouta was also both #1 in the league in contested possessions per game AND #5 in contested marks per game (I think that's right). He was also arguably the best kick in the team.

He basically did it all that year - to be both the best contested ballwinner in the league and one of the best tall marking targets, while also having exquisite disposal and being a genuine forward target...

I think others have had better years - they've done their strengths better. But that's about as close to all-round as you can be.
How would you rate the 70's as a possession era?

Leigh Mathews in 77 averaged over 27 disposals and nearly 4 goals.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
WOW! How the hell didn't he win the Brownlow and every other award going that year?

Back then the 'fairest' element of the award meant something, not like now getting suspended because someone head-butted your arm. Lethal was a thug by all reports and from the limited games I saw of him. Takes nothing away from his greatness, many players were thugs back then. Some weren't. And they won awards.

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
pretty much the thread title, doesn't have to be stats based (though it helps) just pure watchability
I thought that Paige Spiranac's debut year back in 2015 was a sight to behold.

paige 2.jpg

You're welcome.

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
How would you rate the 70's as a possession era?

Leigh Mathews in 77 averaged over 27 disposals and nearly 4 goals.

His numbers that year are astonishing and it was also a much lower possession era than today (albeit higher goals).

I was born in 1982 though so hard to include that as the best season I’ve seen from an individual.

But from the highlights etc I’ve seen Leigh Matthews is considered the best player ever for a reason. He was basically Dusty 1.0; too strong and quick for midfielders, too dangerous for defenders, and able to win games both on all and on the scoreboard in the same match.

Randall Stevens

Senior List
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
WOW! How the hell didn't he win the Brownlow and every other award going that year?

As others have said, Matthews playing style did not endear him to the umpires, to put it mildly. Despite his extraordinary stats in ‘77, he was a distant 4th in the Brownlow.

Also, it was an era when the Brownlow was dominated by ruckmen. In the decade from 1975 to 1984, the medal was won by ruckmen six times (including a tie between Round and Quinlan, a centre half forward, in 1981). In two other years the medal was won by key position players.
The only midfielders to win in the ten year span were Blight in 1978 and Brian Wilson in 1982 - so very different to the current era.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
He dished it out but would also put his neck on the line knowing his was coming at any minute during the game. Thugs do not do that.
I think it's pathetic the umpires never awarded him a brownlow medal.

Depends on your definition of 'thug'. Never said he wasn't courageous, but he was a dirty player as many were in that era. It is not surprising he didn't win a league wide best and fairest.

From my team, the year Brad Johnson came close to winning the Coleman. His gut running both ways was exceptional. For the last few rounds he hit this golden patch of greatness I haven’t seen since. Like he’d kick 6 goals and have 25 possies. Brilliant player.

He dished it out but would also put his neck on the line knowing his was coming at any minute during the game. Thugs do not do that.
I think it's pathetic the umpires never awarded him a brownlow medal.

I think the words ‘thug’ ‘weak’ and ‘dog act’ get thrown around too much on Bigfooty . Could you imagine playing in the 70s and being a really skilful targeted player? You hit or you get hit, so you hit twice as hard.

Feb 26, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As others have said, Matthews playing style did not endear him to the umpires, to put it mildly. Despite his extraordinary stats in ‘77, he was a distant 4th in the Brownlow.

Also, it was an era when the Brownlow was dominated by ruckmen. In the decade from 1975 to 1984, the medal was won by ruckmen six times (including a tie between Round and Quinlan, a centre half forward, in 1981). In two other years the medal was won by key position players.
The only midfielders to win in the ten year span were Blight in 1978 and Brian Wilson in 1982 - so very different to the current era.
From a quick look at AFL tables, I’d say total game possessions in 1977 were about 2/3 what they are now. So 27 possessions per game back then might equate to about 35+ per game in the modern game. I think it was 1973 against Essendon he kicked 11 goals with 41 possies. Incredible.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
The year was 74. Everybody and their pet llama had voted KB in as player who dommed the year's comp. Wonderful body of work Hungry. No, holla, wait a minute.... The fly lavae have called in....We're going with Racehorse fer the Chas. Pew Pew Pew.
Word had it he mouthed at the umps. He will have to settle with 5 flags.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
His numbers that year are astonishing and it was also a much lower possession era than today (albeit higher goals).

I was born in 1982 though so hard to include that as the best season I’ve seen from an individual.

But from the highlights etc I’ve seen Leigh Matthews is considered the best player ever for a reason. He was basically Dusty 1.0; too strong and quick for midfielders, too dangerous for defenders, and able to win games both on all and on the scoreboard in the same match.
The great Ronald Dale thought Leigh was the most dangerous and effective player he'd seen.

His old coach John senior said his biggest quality was his unemotional mentality.

All of which transferred quite naturally into the teams he coached. Pies 90 were robust and unstoppable by end of year, and the Lions, well, what more can be said.

Back