Best Individual season you've seen from a player

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah they do encourage it, that is why there are so many handballs out the back to blokes that can kick.

They don't kick long all that often though.

A guy like Brad Hill is probably in the top 3 as a designated kicker - but his targets are rarely more than 40m away.

You lose all precision and control of the game if you start kicking 60m to contests.

Kouta in 2000 has to be close to the best 'all-round' season.

Accounting for his getting injured in round 20, he averaged 27 disposals and 1.8 goals per game; for comparison, Dustin Martin in 2017 averaged 29 disposals and 1.5 goals, while Dangerfield's best season was 31 and 1.8 goals - both of those in a higher possession era generally.

But Kouta was also both #1 in the league in contested possessions per game AND #5 in contested marks per game (I think that's right). He was also arguably the best kick in the team.

He basically did it all that year - to be both the best contested ballwinner in the league and one of the best tall marking targets, while also having exquisite disposal and being a genuine forward target...

I think others have had better years - they've done their strengths better. But that's about as close to all-round as you can be.
And as well as all that, that year he had a Hird-like ability to pop up exactly where he was needed at the right time and like Carey grab the game by the scruff in 10 min bursts that turned the whole game

Depends on how you rate it.

If you go watch the game again, you will notice Dusty was taking 2-3-4 oppo players out of play freeing up team mates.
I had him 3rd after Houli and Rance. Rance was the most important player in the first quarter - he stopped the crows running away with it. Dusty really added a lot of icing on the cake that game, rather than turning it.

Brett Ratten also won Carlton's best and fairest in 2000

Kouta was 3rd
Ratts played 5 extra games though, which always helps in the B&F.

Old thread I know, but couldn’t help myself with this
Personally being born in 1994 I would say Matthew Lloyd in either 2000/2001
Dusty 2017 not sure how you can top that.
As of now i personally think Jez Cameron might top it all if he keeps going and can get 100 in this style game.

If Nick Daicos continues the way he's going. 5 bog and 1 likely 2 votes so far. Phenomenal
I'll go Kouta in 2000 in keeping with the thread. Bloke was unstoppable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ablett jnr 09 cats
Gary Ablett jnr 12 Gold Coast
Gary Ablett jnr 14 Gold Coast (only 14-15 games but was on track for one of the best.)

Top 5 games statistically for 2012
Rd 1- 42 possesions 2 goals 7 clearances
Rd 2- 40 possesions 2 goals 8 clearances
Rd 3- 45 possesions 2 goals 13 clearances
Rd 10- 53 possesions
Rd 15- 42 possesions 4 goals 10 clearances.

Lockett 1991
Dunstall 1992
Ablett 1993

All averaged better than 6 goals per game.

We really were spoiled in the mid to late 80s to the late 90s.

Then ever increasing team defence became a thing which made it harder and harder for forwards.

Then the focus moved to fitness and midfielders and possessions took over.

And now its the time of the Half Back Flanker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back