Humph

Debutant
May 1, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S.M.W. Rovers
Just interested in who people thought were the best players they played with and against in the Juniors, because I'm thinking about writing a song about my Junior Footy Days. Here's my list, but I'm probably forgetting a few. Bear in mind I'm only taking into account Junior footy 92-96 and guys who were older and bigger than me probably get rated higher. Feel free to do your own (no matter what era), or just make comments or suggestions about my list.

Rovers – Dave 'Burgo' Box, Nic Byrne, Jamie 'Needles' Box
Hawkesdale – Jamie Hethrington, Vaughn Hockley, Jason Mirtschin,
Caramut – Tim Barr, Stevie Bickers, the Hassett brothers
Willaura - Ian Anderson, Danny Gleeson, James Campbell
Penshurst - Mark 'Sooty' McLean, Noah and Wally Ewing.
Bolac- Leo Fitzpatrick, Baz Fitz, Craig Allender, Pawlie Wilson.
Dunkeld – Some guy named Buck, Simon Gordon, Joe Murphy
Woorndoo - Troy 'Skinner' Pattison, Rhyce Milward, Nibbsy.
Glenthompson – Wylie Roll, Eamon Johnson,
Tatyoon – Andrew Ward, Josh McDougall

Luv Humph.

First of all I do hope this is the real Humph, a great man. Secondly, quality thread. I can imagine these memoirs will have a foreword by the Mininera's own slug Jordon in John Box. A few generous inclusions for mine, wouldn't have little Stevie Bickers or Josh McDougall in there. Also maybe add Adam Keilar from Dunkeld and Travis McMahon from Taty.

Cameo King
Willaura U/16s 1991-1996

First of all I do hope this is the real Humph, a great man. Secondly, quality thread. I can imagine these memoirs will have a foreword by the Mininera's own slug Jordon in John Box. A few generous inclusions for mine, wouldn't have little Stevie Bickers or Josh McDougall in there. Also maybe add Adam Keilar from Dunkeld and Travis McMahon from Taty.

Cameo King
Willaura U/16s 1991-1996

Agree on not having steve bickers. Josh McDougall captained taty in a good team and won the goal kicking from the centre. Wouldnt have trav mcmahon. Other taty players that you might include are: andy tucker, ash bryant and sean mcdougall.
Other teams that i can think of might be:
Rovers - Byrne,
Hawksdale - mark johnson and pete jelbart
Caramut - lehman and tim barr
Lismore - andrew cheeseman and french
Glen?dunkeld - eamon johnson -
penshurst - eales

Just interested in who people thought were the best players they played with and against in the Juniors, because I'm thinking about writing a song about my Junior Footy Days. Here's my list, but I'm probably forgetting a few. Bear in mind I'm only taking into account Junior footy 92-96 and guys who were older and bigger than me probably get rated higher. Feel free to do your own (no matter what era), or just make comments or suggestions about my list.

Luv Humph.

Ya from lis/derri then ey or were they not round

People I forgot:
Willaura- Martin Joyce, Jamie 'Blade' Boyanton
Caramut- Matthew Bell.
I did forget Trav McMahon, Adam Keilar and Adam Lehmann and agree they should be in too.

Tatyoon always seemed to have an very even team, so its hard to name just a few because then you have to leave a lot out. If it was a tennis/football combo I'd say Mick Watson, Robbie Mackay, Michael Morgan and Richie Shaw.

I only ever played Lismore/Derri in school footy and I remember James Gellie, Glenn Rogers and Darren Cheeseman being good, but my memory is cloudy due to a punch from Guthridge.

Although it seems anyone can win one (Worm), Stevie Bickers tied with Byrnesy for League B+F so I think he deserves to be on the list.
Luv Humph.

A couple from Glenthompson premiership of '96. Adam Patching and Phil "Moose" Cunnington. Moose best on ground in GF and finished in top couple in league medal that year.

Ben O'brien (Taty) was always a good player. Left footer although he turned it over a fair bit. Is that the same O'brien who opens the batting for Carlton in premier league cricket?

A couple from Glenthompson premiership of '96. Adam Patching and Phil "Moose" Cunnington. Moose best on ground in GF and finished in top couple in league medal that year.

Ben O'brien (Taty) was always a good player. Left footer although he turned it over a fair bit. Is that the same O'brien who opens the batting for Carlton in premier league cricket?

yea mate, Same bloke who opens the batting.

It would be interested from the list above whether many of these players are still playing at these clubs or leagues in the area?

Who are the guns at senior level? Amazing the amount of junior players who were good players at juniors but didn't kick off. Also lots of players who were ok junior players but have excelled at senior level.

It would be interested from the list above whether many of these players are still playing at these clubs or leagues in the area?

Who are the guns at senior level? Amazing the amount of junior players who were good players at juniors but didn't kick off. Also lots of players who were ok junior players but have excelled at senior level.

From this year some of those players are still playing:
Rovers - Nick Byrne has been their best player this year
Hawksdale - Hetherington is coaching the seniors
Caramut - bickers is playing still, t barr did for a while
Penshurst - McClean had played for ages but not playing this year.
Bolac - None left but they would of played in a senior flag at some point
Woorndoo - Milward did play a few years back - Cpatained the side i think
Glen - Eamon johnson is playing well in the lexton league
Tatyoon - Ward runner up B&F last year over in england this year. McDougall been vice-captain the last few years in the seniors

From this year some of those players are still playing:
Rovers - Nick Byrne has been their best player this year
Hawksdale - Hetherington is coaching the seniors
Caramut - bickers is playing still, t barr did for a while
Penshurst - McClean had played for ages but not playing this year.
Bolac - None left but they would of played in a senior flag at some point
Woorndoo - Milward did play a few years back - Cpatained the side i think
Glen - Eamon johnson is playing well in the lexton league
Tatyoon - Ward runner up B&F last year over in england this year. McDougall been vice-captain the last few years in the seniors
What about the space man?

Luv Humph.
used to go to school with Paul Jenkinson from willaura, he was a lot better player Gleeso

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a beer with the great Paul "Jenkalenko You Beauty"at the weekend ,think all his football is behind him he sat this year out after attracting some good offers down south and concentrated on gaining his builders ticket which he wants to put to good use renovating a joint hes got in Highton.One of the easiest going dudes ive ever met.Great lad.By all reports his older brother Mark "Tangles"Jenkinson was a handy player doing some time in Fitzroys under 19s in the day can anyone confirm??a touch before my time

Had a beer with the great Paul "Jenkalenko You Beauty"at the weekend ,think all his football is behind him he sat this year out after attracting some good offers down south and concentrated on gaining his builders ticket which he wants to put to good use renovating a joint hes got in Highton.One of the easiest going dudes ive ever met.Great lad.By all reports his older brother Mark "Tangles"Jenkinson was a handy player doing some time in Fitzroys under 19s in the day can anyone confirm??a touch before my time
he did go down to fitzroy, was a huge man, whole family are good people.

I played against Eamon in the u16s and with him in country week. Don't get me wrong, handy bowler, but never would have said he do well in the Ballarat comp, let alone make a VCCL side. Has he found some pace?!?!

Of that 1997 Warrnambool country week side on overall cricketing talent he would have been behind Barry Fitzpatrick, Nic Byrne, Tim Barr, Rhys Milward, Joseph Hill and James Laidlaw. So well done for him clearly making himself into a great bowler.

Yes it is the same guy. You know of him Cameo King??

and he has just won the 2007/2008 ballarat cricket association medal for best player!

well done johnno.....come up a treat on the news mate!!

now all you have to do is come back to the Rams for a year and win the Lewis medal in the M.d.f.l. next season!

1996 bloods premiership coach!!

Thought I'd add in a coupel of things here. Sounds like I might have been around before most of your gusy time. The old Western Plains League days before the merger. Some good junior opponents that I remember, memory a bit hazy:
Derri: Nelson, King
Skipton: Ellingham
Carn/Linton: Flanagan, and a big ruckman bloke who used to smash us when we were about 14 in u/17.
Illa: Smith and Drever
Cressy: Toulman, Humphreys, the Walkers
Rokewood: Nielson Carr used to carve us up!

Anyway, there'd be more, is there anyone out there remember this era? Or am I the only sad b$%rd left!:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back