Best live gig you've ever been to

Remove this Banner Ad

This will date me..
The Party Boys with Angry, Alan Lancaster, Kevin Borich, John Brewster and someone else at the Bridgeway Hotel in Adelaides northern suburbs - 1986. It was a hot night, Angry was pouring Jack Daniels into our our beer cans, and the girls in the front rows took their tops off and were being very :D:D:D:Dy. It was hot, dirty, sweaty rock and roll at its finest!!
Pink Floyd, Momenty Lapse of reason tour - 1987
Faith No More, Le Rocks, Adelaide - 1990
Motley Crue, Great Western Forum, Los Angeles - 1990
Nirvana, Thebby Theatre, Adelaide - 1992. Not so much for the band but the mosh pit was at its peak.

The Shins @ The Corner in 2005, closely followed by Pearl Jam @ Rod Laver Arena in 2003. The Shins @ The Corner in 2006 is up there, too.

Eric Burdon, Dorset Gardens in Croydon
when it was a live venue in about 1983.

He was three parts cut,
played for 2 1/2hours,
(they even put the house lights on, but he kept going)

And he let you get onstage and sing with him.
Must have done "We gotta get outta this place" 3 or 4 times.
Think he may have shouted the bar at one stage.

Totally grouse.

I can't pinpoint one, there are so many gigs that have been so good for so many different reasons:

1. At The Drive In

Absolutely amazing live set, more energy than I've ever seen a band have. Sounded cd perfect, if not better. Enfilade was just insane.

2. The Roots

Without doubt hte most skilled musicians I've seen live. Played for over 2 hours straight, black thought is the best mc in the world, and ?uestlove would make strong arguments to be known as the best drummer. Just work a crowd so well, heaps of energy, and so versatile, there's notjing like seeing a Hiphop band play Led Zeppellin and Metallica songs to maek you realise that limiting yourself to one style of music is stupid.

3. Pennywise

Seen them a few times, just a cool ass band that get everyone going nuts. Seem to really appreciate the crowd too.

4. HED (pe)

Not the most well known band, but caught them at the corner a few years back. Californian nu-metal type stuff here, but honestly, these guys were just insane, very clear, worked the crowd beautifully, and just made me want to smash things, and really, isn't that what nu-metal was all about?

5. Kanye West

Full. On.

6. Red and Meth

First time I ever got to see a straight up Hiphop performance i.e. DJ and rappers - and who better than the clwon princes of dope smoking to do it. Red and Meth have long been two of my favourite mc's, so I had some personal attachement to this gig, but I just loved everything about it. Heaps of energy, no little peanut's running around like you get at a G-unit concert or some such, just Hiphop fans everywhere.

NYE 2005 @ The Tote

Sin City
Mach Pelican
The Spazzys
Guitar Wolf

40 odd :D:D:D:Ding degrees outside god knows what inside. Nearly expired in the heat and i wouldn't trade it for anything.

Oh I forgot to mention, saw black eyed peas 3 times before they added Fergie to the group and played with a full band.

Those guys were insane, as were jurassic5.

I know people tend to hate the BEP now, but back in the day they were like a different version of A Tribe Called Quest. Absolutely awesome.

Some highlights:

The Black Crowes -Shepherds Bush Empire,
Radiohead - Brixton Academy,
Nirvana - Thebbie Theatre,
Metallica - 1st Australian tour - Thebbie theatre.

But my highlight was seeing Faith No More at a small venue called LeRox in Adelaide years ago. Great concert, only about 200 people.

Mr Magoo said:
Metallica - .... And Justice for All Tour - Theberton Theatre May 1989 :thumbsu:
I'm looking forward to finally seeing the Angels tonight at the highlander hotel though as my brother has told that they're one of the best live bands he's ever seen as they play with so much energy & passion.

http://www.theangelsband.net/Gigguide.html

Ahh Magoo, I was at that one. Definately one for the higlights reel. That's probably the most insane concert i've been too crowd wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Magoo said:
I'm looking forward to finally seeing the Angels tonight at the highlander hotel though as my brother has told that they're one of the best live bands he's ever seen as they play with so much energy & passion.

Saw them at Mushroom 25 Live, they do put on a bloody good performance :)

Queens of the Stone Age (2003)

Muse (2004)

The Hives (2005)

Beastie Boys (2005)

Shihad (2003)

Pearl Jam - Brisbane 2003
Pearl Jam - Adelaide 2003
Pearl Jam - Melbourne 2003
Foo Fighters - Adelaide 2005
John Fogerty - Adelaide 2005
Brad - Adelaide 2003
Powderfinger - Adelaide 2001
The Music - BDO 2005

The Eagles in Adelaide, last year.
Followed by Reel Big Fish last year also.

billybrownless, if the best live show you have seen is hill top hoods, you have a lot to learn mate.

Roos4eva said:
The Hives (2005)

Beastie Boys (2005)

Shihad (2003)

i'm hearing you... if you're from melbourne i was at those 3 shows... shihad in '03 was off their balls at the time, playing so well... the hives are simply awesome, and the beasties in '05 were in fine form... their show @ festival hall was meant to be better than their MSG show in NYC...

the other two gigs you mentioned (queens and muse) i wasn't at, however i've seen them both at other shows and both were very good...

Top 3 would be:

Soundgarden @ The Palace, Jan of 1994. Just before Superunknown was released, mega hot outside, steaming inside, Soundgarden IMO at the absolute top of their game. Best ever.

Dave Matthews Band @ The Palaise Theatre, 2005. Was just in raptures all night. Never wanted it to end.

Pearl Jam @ Myer Music Bowl on Vitalogy Tour 1995. Religious.

Honourable mentions:
Pearl Jam @ Rod Laver 95
Tool @ Festival Hall on Aenema Tour 96
Foo Fighters @ Festival Hall 2003
Soundgarden & You Am I, Festival Hall 96
Midnight Oil, Myer Music Bowl 90
Motley Crue @ Rod Laver 91
Beastie Boys & Helmet @ Festival Hall, 94(ish)
Incubus @ Festival Hall 00
Sevendust @ Palace 04
Pearl Jam @ Rod Laver 03
Tool @ Rod Laver on 1st Leg of Lateralus Tour 02
Muse @ Festival Hall 04
Soulfly @ Palace 00ish
Fear Factory @ Road Runner Party @ CUB grounds, 96
Kiss @ Rod Laver 96
Front End Loader, Shihad, Super Jesus @ The Corner, 95ish.
Metallica @ Rod Laver 92
Pantera @ Glasshouse 94ish

PerthCrow said:
Cold Chisel Bridgeway Hotel 1982ish

Bastard! I saw them during Last Wave tour and Ringside in Brissie, both fantastic shows, can only imagine how good they would've been to see at their peak.

SpringChoke said:
Ahh Magoo, I was at that one. Definately one for the higlights reel. That's probably the most insane concert i've been too crowd wise.
Yes, I was there too. Not a big fan at the time but was very impressed with the show. If my memory serves me correctly, Metallica had original planed to miss Adelaide but a petition with 3000 signatures was organised and they changed their mind. Also there was a massive Australian flag raised on the balcony half way through the show - very cool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back