Best live gig you've ever been to

koopatroopa

Debutant
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I saw Kyuss Lives! last year.
Didn't think anything would ever top it, but with this hologram technology apparently hitting the point it has with the Tupac performace at Coachella, I reckon a Hendrix concert would probably top it :thumbsu:
We could possibly live through an era where these holograms become a big thing, and be the first people to see Elvis shake his hips in like 70 years.
I think the novelty factor will come and go pretty quickly (for the dead artists, the future of stadium gigs by bands like ACDC is another question), but I look forward to the first MJ hologram concert at Rod Laver, which is probably closer than we think.

Hue_Jars

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2011
Only ya mum knows
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory,Heat,Wildcats,Warriors
Didn't think anything would ever top it, but with this hologram technology apparently hitting the point it has with the Tupac performace at Coachella, I reckon a Hendrix concert would probably top it :thumbsu:
We could possibly live through an era where these holograms become a big thing, and be the first people to see Elvis shake his hips in like 70 years.
I think the novelty factor will come and go pretty quickly (for the dead artists, the future of stadium gigs by bands like ACDC is another question), but I look forward to the first MJ hologram concert at Rod Laver, which is probably closer than we think.

Cheering at a hologram would be a pretty hollow experience I think. The best part of going to a concert is to hear a band playing their music live, mistakes and all, and experiencing their interaction with the crowd. A hologram wouldnt interact.

Its probably the lamest thing Ive ever heard of to be honest. There is no way I'd pay $150 to a Jimi Hendrix hologram concert, when you can listen to what ever gets played on a CD and/or a DVD.

Instead of giant screens, perhaps holograms set up around a stadium of whats going on on the stage could be good.

Bennett.

Your training, Matrix
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2018 Essendon Player Sponsor 2017 Essendon Player Sponsor 2016 Essendon Player Sponsor 2014 Essendon Player Sponsor 2015
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maple Leafs, Blue Jays
Surely Meatloaf at the 'G'....

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Some of the good ones
The Clash second night at the Capitol in Sydney, then again 5th night. Played 7 straight nights i think.
Dead Kennedys about the same time, about 1983ish, was so pissed i cant remember which pub it was, The Steyne i think. Wasnt really into them but mate dragged me along. They tried to kick out anyone that remotely looked punk, weird f'kers.
Simple Minds played the Coogee Bay Hotel about 82/83..thought they were going be crap but were fantastic live. Tears for fears were the backup band from memory but didnt get in till late and missed them.
Used to see the XLCapris a bit around Sydney, had a thing for the chick even tho she wasnt that hot.
Maybe 20-30 other oz bands. Oils at the Royal Antler up the road from here were always good value. They were forced to sound proof the place tho and it died. Farris Brothers at the uni roundhouse and INXS at the Manly Vale Hotel. Hunters and Collectors at the Bluegum at Waitara was a great gig, also saw them about 3 other places. Hoodoo's at the San Miguel at Cammeray, Spy V Spy and Machinations at the Sydney Cove Tavern, Cold Chisel a few times but not a huge fan.
O/S bands my fave was Quo who were just amazing in concert. U2 were ok but saw them at the Entertainment centre about 85ish from memory and lead singer was seriously up himself at the time. Stones were great but huge venue not a great atmosphere. Dont know, many i was too pissed/cooked to remember.

Some of the good ones
The Clash second night at the Capitol in Sydney, then again 5th night. Played 7 straight nights i think.
Dead Kennedys about the same time, about 1983ish, was so pissed i cant remember which pub it was, The Steyne i think. Wasnt really into them but mate dragged me along. They tried to kick out anyone that remotely looked punk, weird f'kers.
Simple Minds played the Coogee Bay Hotel about 82/83..thought they were going be crap but were fantastic live. Tears for fears were the backup band from memory but didnt get in till late and missed them.
Used to see the XLCapris a bit around Sydney, had a thing for the chick even tho she wasnt that hot.
Maybe 20-30 other oz bands. Oils at the Royal Antler up the road from here were always good value. They were forced to sound proof the place tho and it died. Farris Brothers at the uni roundhouse and INXS at the Manly Vale Hotel. Hunters and Collectors at the Bluegum at Waitara was a great gig, also saw them about 3 other places. Hoodoo's at the San Miguel at Cammeray, Spy V Spy and Machinations at the Sydney Cove Tavern, Cold Chisel a few times but not a huge fan.
O/S bands my fave was Quo who were just amazing in concert. U2 were ok but saw them at the Entertainment centre about 85ish from memory and lead singer was seriously up himself at the time. Stones were great but huge venue not a great atmosphere. Dont know, many i was too pissed/cooked to remember.

Some of those venues bring back memories of my youth - The Royal Antler, San Miguel, Sydney Cove Tavern and Selinas

A couple of truly memorable gigs at Selinas were Ministry in 1995 and Soundgarden in 1994, X at the San Miguel around 1984, Celibate Rifles at The Sydney Cove Tavern around 1984 - good times!

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
I saw Alice Cooper at the Thebarton Theatre a few years back and he is still putting on a killer show after all these years. You definitely get your money's worth with him. His support act on the night was Billy Thorpe who played for an hour and put on one hell of a show himself. Sadly he died a few months later.

koopatroopa

Debutant
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
. There is no way I'd pay $150 to a Jimi Hendrix hologram concert, when you can listen to what ever gets played on a CD and/or a DVD.

Totally agree.
I remember when 3D technology was either poorly done or so expensive that it was rarely utilized, but it seems to be experiencing a boom lately. With CD sales declining for the past million years or whatever, I think that it has the potential to be a big part of the industry as a whole. Once (if?) they start turning big profits again, hopefully we will see the end of s**t like Australian Idol et al..
Would you pay say $30 to see a hologram performance of your favourite artist? Compare it to something like an IMAX ticket, and I can see big potential for a niche market there once the technology becomes perfected.

Megadeth 2009 was ****ing awesome
Hell yes \m/

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Some of those venues bring back memories of my youth - The Royal Antler, San Miguel, Sydney Cove Tavern and Selinas

A couple of truly memorable gigs at Selinas were Ministry in 1995 and Soundgarden in 1994, X at the San Miguel around 1984, Celibate Rifles at The Sydney Cove Tavern around 1984 - good times!
Yeah good memories arnt they. You'd remember the Dee Why Hotel too or "the venue" they called it. Just down the road from here, last band i saw there were The Buzzcocks moons ago.
Lots you'd remember (can see you are in Melb) are gone/changed now...San Miguel gone, units/hardware. Dee Why now small pub now sold off as supermarket and units. Royal Antler became "the sands" which is more units than pub now too. Most are gone.

Like a lot of things, u dont appreciate at the time how good it is.

Truth be told, that'd be close to the top of my list to, if not topping it.
I missed out on tickets to the Melbourne show so flew up to the Gold Coast, saw the show, and flew back the next morning.

Worth every penny, especially with the nostalgia of seeing Fort play live for the first time in years.

1979 - Blondie and Clash - Perth Concert Hall (seperate gigs)

Painters and Dockers

Kiss 1980 with Eric Carr

Prince - Sign of the Times tour - New York

The Boss - at Rod Laver the night Bush declared War on Iraq

Dolly - Tuesday Night (deal with it h8rs)

Like the top 3.

I saw the Clash in Melbourne for the London Calling tour but that would've been 1980 so respect seeing them in '79.

Dolly who? Surely not Parton.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
1979 - Blondie and Clash - Perth Concert Hall (seperate gigs)

Painters and Dockers

Kiss 1980 with Eric Carr

Prince - Sign of the Times tour - New York

The Boss - at Rod Laver the night Bush declared War on Iraq

Dolly - Tuesday Night (deal with it h8rs)

Bruce played Telstra Dome, not RLA.

How was it, anyway?

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Another couple
Prince coming out again...biggest surprise i got was how good they were live. Definitely not my cup of tea at the time and got dragged along to Radio City by a few guys about 1984ish i think whilst in NY. Really good...serious surprise how good he/they were. Getting a bit long in the tooth now but not the only one.
Then a yr or two later saw Sting at a place called the summit in Houston and was the absolute worst gig i ever went to..and thats saying a lot. No voice, crap band, zero personailty or presence, just bloody awful.

Tex_21

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2008
Die Kaffeeklatsch
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Landsborough
Not the best gig I've ever seen, but saw The Darkness last night, and they put on a ripping show. Really high energy, Justin Hawkins feeding off the crowd - was great. And that voice!

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
Radiohead at Coachella last month, favourite band of all time, had never seen them, beautiful night in the desert, couple rows from front of stage plus they played my favourite song of all time, not embarrased to say my eyes welled up :eek: Still gives me shivers :thumbsu::thumbsu:

jpkennedy

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
I've seen Pearl Jam 3 times, never been disappointed. Fooies last year were awesome. And Faith No More at Soundwave in 2009...one of the best moments of my life.

WCEbrody

Premiership Player
May 17, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea,Chicago Bulls
Seen Amity Affliction in Freo last night, worth checking out @ Soundwave next year if you're into Hardcore/Post Hardcore.

As for the best gig i've been too, would probably be Silverchair when i was a lot younger and they hadn't realesed that peice of s**t Young Modern*

*Realise some people might enjoy the album, but Straight Lines ruined Silverchair for me.

Back