Best live gig you've ever been to

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthCrow said:
Cold Chisel Bridgeway Hotel 1982ish

I'm amazed at some of the acts that used to play at the Bridgeway. An older mate of mine saw Cold Chisel, Rose Tattoo and The Angels when they were all first starting out. He also saw ACDC with Bon Scott, now that would have been a concert.

In my day, The Australian Doors Show at the Bridgeway was always a must see gig.

SpringChoke said:
I'm amazed at some of the acts that used to play at the Bridgeway. An older mate of mine saw Cold Chisel, Rose Tattoo and The Angels when they were all first starting out. He also saw ACDC with Bon Scott, now that would have been a concert.

In my day, The Australian Doors Show at the Bridgeway was always a must see gig.
Dont forget Hot Chocolate :eek:

The Offspring - Splinter Tour 2004 - Brisbane. Was awesome from start to finish. I was still adrenalised three hours after the concert.

Pearl Jam - Brisbane - 2003. It's PJ...nuff said.

Green Day - Earlier in the 00's..can't remember specifically lol.

And I've been to the BDO in QLD the past three years running.

Rammstein @ Palace 2001
Awesome, everything a good metal show should be, and even played around the flames and effects despite the roof being about 4 foot above their head.

Offspring @ Festival Hall 97
The last of the 'old school' Offspring concerts, touring their Ixnay album, really gave it all......then made the mistake of seeing them at Melbourne Park on their Americana tour.....worst concert ever.

Pearl Jam@Myer Music Bowl 95?96?

At their peak....awesome!

finbarr said:
Grong Grong - Anywhere
Died Pretty - Tivoli Hotel 1986 'Free Dirt' Tour.
Bloodloss - Anywhere
Primevils - Anywhere
Celibate Rifles - Austral Hotel beer garden, early 1986 (2 bucks)
ALL - Paddington RSL, early '91
Big Black - Adelaide Uni Bar, 1987
Lubricated Goat - Alma Hotel, '87 or '88. (can't remember).Avail - Trocodero Club, San Franscisco, August '96
Filthy Scumbags - Anywhere '86 - '87.
Festered Vestoons - " " " "
The Sydney Trade Union Club shows held on New Years during mid-late 80's with bands playing all night on all 3 levels. Awesome!
Vicious Circle - Flinders Uni, Feb '86
The Stems - Magill Campus '85 or '86 (bit hazy)
Venom P Stinger - 1988 Century Hotel

Meet my friend Venom. Venom P. Stinger

You are a man of rare taste Mr Sauders. I've seen the highlighted bands from your list and all put on great shows, but no Exploding White Mice? I've always thought they were the best live band I ever saw from Adelaide.

localyokel said:
Meet my friend Venom. Venom P. Stinger

You are a man of rare taste Mr Sauders. I've seen the highlighted bands from your list and all put on great shows, but no Exploding White Mice? I've always thought they were the best live band I ever saw from Adelaide.

The Died Pretty were a phenomenon live - Mate when they did an encore of Prince's "the Cross" at the last gig I saw them I am sure I was floating off the Ground. They were almost life changing live

Contra Mundum said:
The Died Pretty were a phenomenon live - Mate when they did an encore of Prince's "the Cross" at the last gig I saw them I am sure I was floating off the Ground. They were almost life changing live

I first saw them in '87 supporting Nick Cave at the Venue here in Melbourne. What a gig that was. I can remember Brett Myers telling me his dad played VFL footy for St Kilda, isnt it funny the things that stick in your head?

Have you seen the Darling Downs? It's a combo with Ron Peno and Kim Salmon.

localyokel said:
I first saw them in '87 supporting Nick Cave at the Venue here in Melbourne. What a gig that was. I can remember Brett Myers telling me his dad played VFL footy for St Kilda, isnt it funny the things that stick in your head?

If those two had a gig taking it in turns reading the phone book I would pay to see it - the DDs are great and the name is a belter

Electric Wizard at the Green Room last October by a mile

Fantomas/Melvins/Tomahawk Geek Show at the Palace was insane - I'd never really heard much of any of the bands and this gig hooked me on all of them for life

Tool at Rod Laver Arena (could have been the best but I HATE tennis centre gigs with a passion)

Cypress Hill @ Metro was surprisingly awesome, great vibe and they killed it

localyokel said:

My wife saw them at the Apollo Bay music festival and has been raving about them since. She is also playing their CD non stop.
Admittedly my wife's tastes has taken that path that a lot of old punk's taste seem to take and that being into alternative country (for want of a better expression). She is convinced they'd be huge if they went to Nashville.
As for me I'll sit here and still play "Sin Factory" and "Free Dirt" and remember the "good ol' days":D

Leaping Lindner said:
My wife saw them at the Apollo Bay music festival and has been raving about them since. She is also playing their CD non stop.
Admittedly my wife's tastes has taken that path that a lot of old punk's taste seem to take and that being into alternative country (for want of a better expression). She is convinced they'd be huge if they went to Nashville.
As for me I'll sit here and still play "Sin Factory" and "Free Dirt" and remember the "good ol' days":D

Do The Band Who Shot Liberty Valence or The Gravybillys fit into the alternative country genre? If so I'm firmly in that camp as well.:D

localyokel said:
Do The Band Who Shot Liberty Valence or The Gravybillys fit into the alternative country genre? If so I'm firmly in that camp as well.:D

I'm the wife, and yes they do, so yes you are. And long may you live.

Lidge said:
Saw the Violent Femmes, Painters & Dockers & Cosmic Psychos on a triple bill - circa 1987 at The Venue (RIP) in St Kilda. Did you get to that one?

That's night rates as my 2nd best ever gig, behind my Jagger night at The Corner.

I was there- absolutely rocking gig. Lokalyokels other bands were fav's of mine too. Big Day Out with Iggy Pop, sonic youth and Nick Cave was great.
Nick Cave and Iggy Pop gave incredible intense performances- some bands put out great albums others are better live.

ACDC- fantastic live in the late 80's

Primal Scream Sceamadellica gig at the metro blew my mind

Prince played a great show at Bennets Lane Jazz Club which impressed- he's such a good musician and his band are incredible.

There are so many great performers out there- live gigs rule!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fishbone @ The Palace in the early '90's

Grateful Dead in Las Vegas - 1992. Would have been better without Sting opening for them.

Beastie Boys @ The Forum (Melbourne) about 6 years ago

Ani Di Franco solo with guitar @ The National in St Kilda

Spiderbait/Primus double @ The Metro

TISM always, but especially @ Collingwood Town Hall in 1995 where they did the film clip for (He'll Never Be An) Ol' Man River. I'll never forget being hit by bits of the disintegrating camera that Ron Hitler Barassi took into the crowd :D

volcboy said:
Fishbone @ The Palace in the early '90's

Grateful Dead in Las Vegas - 1992. Would have been better without Sting opening for them.

Beastie Boys @ The Forum (Melbourne) about 6 years ago

Ani Di Franco solo with guitar @ The National in St Kilda

Spiderbait/Primus double @ The Metro

TISM always, but especially @ Collingwood Town Hall in 1995 where they did the film clip for (He'll Never Be An) Ol' Man River. I'll never forget being hit by bits of the disintegrating camera that Ron Hitler Barassi took into the crowd :D
you can see my old boss crowd surfing on that video...

Not the best bands necessarily, just one's that have stuck in my mind.

Hard ons / Cosmic Physcos POW
Lime Spiders / Ramones Corner - Were Ramones Corner maybe Palace yeah Palace - Ramones I remember walking out soaked.
Was it RRR gig at the Venue in StKilda - Gees I miss places like that.:(

Just went back through the post, died pretty were great live and how could I forget Faith no More at the palace.

i_hate_scams said:
The Veronicas at the queen victorian market yesterday, NOT:p God, it was like school-kids central!!

hahaha yeah try goin to their concert....talk about a bunch of try hards!!! thousands of screaming girls all dressed up like the veronicas....best concert ive ever seen :D

The Dirty Three at BDO when Nick Cave appeared at the end of the set for a few songs.
Also The dirty Three again at the Corner Hotel where a bloke asked me about six times during the night if I was Bill Walsh from the Cosmic Psychos.

Metallica & Kyuss at Rod Laver '93
- two of the best bands of all time. Although I'd heard a few songs and were looking forward to seeing them, I'm spewin I weren't into Kyuss as much as I were afterwards (and still am now). Metallica sounded great, and Kyuss were excellent, but probably weren't as suited to an arena though.

Fear Factory at Croydon Town Hall '93 or '94?? (fear is the mindkiller tour)
- had a great sound, and with the industrial keyboards sounded huge. First time I'd seen Damaged too and thought they were excellent also.

Cathedral & Paradise Lost at The Hell Club '95 or 96?? (carnival bizarre/draconian times tour)
- Paradise Lost were pretty average (though I were a big fan at the time, of both bands), but Cathedral were awesome. Lee Dorrian is one freaky person.

best festival I've been to was Alternative Nation '95
- Tool, Faith No More, Nine Inch Nails, Primus, Live, The Tea Party, Violent Femmes, Lou Reed, Ween, L7, Pennywise, Ice-T, Bodycount, The Flaming Lips, Pop Will Eat Itself, Regurgitator, Powderfinger...
didn't get to see all those bands though :(
not big into NIN, but they were awesome live, as were Tool and Primus. FNM are one of my favourite bands but were a little disappointed with their performance. lol, I remember Mike Patton grabbing a kid who'd got on stage to dive and wouldn't let him go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back