Discussion Best Longsleeve Guernsey Ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be unrelated to topic but why haven't AFL players given much thought to wearing Skins underneath the guernseys like Soccer players do?
Most long sleeves are basically skins anyway now. Plus, I think the AFL would frown on it, remember they tried to ban Hunt's headband.

Sorry, I misunderstood your first post. I thought you meant the raised logo was retro, but we've always had it raised. You meant the 80s logo we've just gone back to.

Need to read gooder.
An apology? On the FJGD board? Am I dreaming?

I guess I'm still kinda new :(

I could tell him to go to bed?
Even that's too civil.

Until you can draw out a needless argument over multiple pages of an unrelated thread, requiring the mods to delete it all and give us a stern warning like the five year olds we are, you'll never be a true FJGD board member.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even that's too civil.

Until you can draw out a needless argument over multiple pages of an unrelated thread, requiring the mods to delete it all and give us a stern warning like the five year olds we are, you'll never be a true FJGD board member.
So I need something off-topic and controversial?

My favourite Longie is the Eagles Tri-panel. Worn by Boomer's wife. In a GF at Footy Park. With lead commentary by Basil Zempilas.

josh-vearing-of-tasmania-is-challenged-by-raphel-clarke-of-the-the-picture-id81913557

So I need something off-topic and controversial?

My favourite Longie is the Eagles Tri-panel. Worn by Boomer's wife. In a GF at Footy Park. With lead commentary by Basil Zempilas.

now THATS how to start a flame war.

:')

I reckon the South Australian State jumper of 1937-41 is a serious contender...

SA-1936-3.png

It was their sixth different State jumper in seven years(!) but they finally got it right.

------------------

Full story here if you want to read more about how messy things can get when footy jumper designers don't keep it simple...

http://www.hardballget.net/state-jumpers---south-australia-1930-1945.html

Last edited:
Remember when clubs had cuffs in colours of their second colour?
So Essendon had red, Tigers yellow, Hawthorn Gold etc.

I always wondered why they did this when their short sleeve cuffs weren't that colour?

Richmond and St Kilda were the only teams whose cuff colour was different on the LS to the SS. Richmond's were indeed yellow instead of black, and St Kilda's were red instead of white. I have tried to locate a pic of Essendon having red cuffs on their LS but haven't found one anywhere. Hawthorn were definitely brown.

Richmond and St Kilda were the only teams whose cuff colour was different on the LS to the SS. Richmond's were indeed yellow instead of black, and St Kilda's were red instead of white. I have tried to locate a pic of Essendon having red cuffs on their LS but haven't found one anywhere. Hawthorn were definitely brown.

Ill try and get a shot of my mates Hawks one from the 80's, mind you it's a supporters jumper so it may be different than the actual playing ones.
Was also positive Fitzroy at one stage had yellow cuffs but blue arms??

11908fc6e6810844b796bd5844831968--st-kilda-guernsey.jpg
upload_2017-9-20_14-11-56.png

This is of a 1966 with red and not sure what year the second is, but guessing it's a supporters one.

At one stage I remember Collingwood having white coloured short sleeve cuffs and black long sleeve cuffs.

upload_2017-9-20_14-19-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-20_14-14-26.png
    upload_2017-9-20_14-14-26.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 72
Ill try and get a shot of my mates Hawks one from the 80's, mind you it's a supporters jumper so it may be different than the actual playing ones.
Was also positive Fitzroy at one stage had yellow cuffs but blue arms??

11908fc6e6810844b796bd5844831968--st-kilda-guernsey.jpg
View attachment 418212

This is of a 1966 with red and not sure what year the second is, but guessing it's a supporters one.

At one stage I remember Collingwood having white coloured short sleeve cuffs and black long sleeve cuffs.

View attachment 418217

The one on the right is the new wool retro series.

I'd say the Hawthorn jumpers you're talking about were either cut off at the gold, or maybe from the 50's when the stripes on the main part of the jumper were inverted.

The old Collingwood ones I'm prepared to guess were LS with the sleeves cut off. Back in the 20's and 30's, there were only two SS options. Lace ups, or cut the sleeves off a LS. Jack Dyer mentions he and others doing this when he first started at Richmond, and the club getting shitty with him for doing it.

Fitzroy wore yellow shorts for a season and a bit, and I seem to recall there may have been some of the retail LS from less reputable manufacturers that had yellow cuffs, but certainly the on field and major retail LS always had blue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back