Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
You see the likes of Jamie Elliot even Mark Lecras who are the best you have seen?
my nominations for best under 6ft would be Medhurst Chapman T Greene J Farmer.
I feel like I am missing someone very obvious?

Brad Johnson, Mark Williams, Jeff Farmer, Mark LeCras all played as genuine FF in their sides with great success. Elliot and Toby Greene do it a bit now but there's so much more fluidity in forward lines that they aren't camped in the goal-square anymore.

With so much emphasis on team defence now, the stay at home forward doesn't really exist anymore. Scores come from either transition (who can run fastest into the forward line), or in heavy congestion from a stop play. There's simply no room for leading players anymore, and teams are generally going for the big spud over the fast small simply to contest the long/high ball and hoping for a ball-up.

Liam Ryan

This is a tough one. I feel like there are really at least three different types of marking small forwards, and depending on which you mean you will get a different answer.

1. The lead/mark small.

2. The 1on1 contested mark small.

3. The speccie/pack mark small.

If I had to pick a single person who could best do all three i guess I would take Toby Greene, but I feel like you probably need to consider the three categories separately.

Jeff Farmer comes to mind as the best. Was almost a full forward when he was on.

Modern day, Elliot is good because he leads and marks like a tall forward, not just gets an opportunity every so often.
Shai Bolton is pretty special in that regard because he takes the specy but also with his leap he takes a lot of marks that most short players wouldn't.

Cyril was pretty handy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently Cody Weightman has to be included in the conversation. Doesn't play like a traditional small forward, definitely has a great vertical leap, will pull down MOTY at some point before he hangs up the boots.

0bebf81228636a180e4da8f06bc4e0d1.jpeg

If you're talking about their all round game, Toby Greene surely. Dude can do almost everything and practically carries his teammates on his back and can win games off his own boot.

And (accounting for bias) Mark LeCras was indeed the one that leapt to mind immediately - could take a contested grab, could go on the lead, and could even crumb goals (sometimes). And as Essendon knew all too well, could kick them from anywhere.

I’ve posted this before but it was quite amazing see Tony Greene live. He jumps visibly higher than any other player on the ground, and marks the ball at the absolute peak of his jump with arms fully outstretched. If he gets a run at the ball, regularly outmarks guys 3-4 inches taller than him

Edit: and Toby Greene even better

I’ve posted this before but it was quite amazing see Tony Greene live. He jumps visibly higher than any other player on the ground, and marks the ball at the absolute peak of his jump with arms fully outstretched. If he gets a run at the ball, regularly outmarks guys 3-4 inches taller than him

Edit: and Toby Greene even better
Tony’s not bad though

Charlie Cameron has an enormous vertical leap. Doesn't take many high marks though.
Ollie Henry enjoys flying.

Sadly, the speccie is slowly fading out of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back