Best Marking small forward

Remove this Banner Ad

The best marks for small forwards seem to average about 0.7 contested marks per game. That is where Toby Greene sits over his career. But if you go just over his seasons from 2016 onwards as he settled into his current role he averages around 0.95 contested marks per game. There are some other current small forwards around 0.6 contested marks per game - Elliott and Weightman are 2 I just looked up that average this many.

Bolton for Richmond averaged 0.6 contested marks per game before he started splitting his time between forward and midfield, I am pretty sure he would sit at a similar level to Weightman and Elliott if he was stationed forward full time like them.

If you start getting into the medium sized mid-forward types, Dangerfield takes the most contested marks I think at 0.9 per game but he takes a lot around the ground when on the ball and I am not sure he takes a high rate of contested marks when stationed forward. Dusty averages 0.6 contested marks across his career and the vast majority of those are when stationed forward, so he takes a very high rate of contested marks when forward, I would think more than all the players mentioned previously in my post, including Greene. But I am not sure if you are counting him as a small forward. Heeney is another of these players, he averages 0.9 contested marks per game, mainly stationed forward of the ball, he is a player who seems to be under-rated by a lot of people, but is a very strong mark for 185cm.

From the old days Eric Sarich at South was an excellent mark for his size. He was also famously tough with a fierce shirt front. Broke the collar bones of Barassi and Barry Pascoe and for good measure broke Bob Pascoes leg when the latter tried to kick him.

You see the likes of Jamie Elliot even Mark Lecras who are the best you have seen?
my nominations for best under 6ft would be Medhurst Chapman T Greene J Farmer.
I feel like I am missing someone very obvious?

These two went alright.... Abraham's knee injury cost him his career, would have gone down as one of the absolute great indigenous players of the last 25 years imo.

Probably the most talented player at North in that period outside of Carey.

Allison was right around 6"0 and was phenomenal overhead.

1697751964197.png

1697752006828.png

The best marks for small forwards seem to average about 0.7 contested marks per game. That is where Toby Greene sits over his career. But if you go just over his seasons from 2016 onwards as he settled into his current role he averages around 0.95 contested marks per game. There are some other current small forwards around 0.6 contested marks per game - Elliott and Weightman are 2 I just looked up that average this many.

Bolton for Richmond averaged 0.6 contested marks per game before he started splitting his time between forward and midfield, I am pretty sure he would sit at a similar level to Weightman and Elliott if he was stationed forward full time like them.

If you start getting into the medium sized mid-forward types, Dangerfield takes the most contested marks I think at 0.9 per game but he takes a lot around the ground when on the ball and I am not sure he takes a high rate of contested marks when stationed forward. Dusty averages 0.6 contested marks across his career and the vast majority of those are when stationed forward, so he takes a very high rate of contested marks when forward, I would think more than all the players mentioned previously in my post, including Greene. But I am not sure if you are counting him as a small forward. Heeney is another of these players, he averages 0.9 contested marks per game, mainly stationed forward of the ball, he is a player who seems to be under-rated by a lot of people, but is a very strong mark for 185cm.
Danger and Dusty are both incredibly good marking small/mid size forwards. I am not sure many people would want to include them in a list like this because over their careers they haven't played that position enough.

GAJ was an incredible mark too. Very few small defenders could confidently defend any of them.

The thing is anyone who is actually elite move into the midfield. Players like Ablett, Danger, Gray, Martin probably would have been the goat small forwards if they spent their whole career there.

Toby Greene ended up playing forward because Gws were so stacked with mids they could use him where he is most dangerous.

The thing is anyone who is actually elite move into the midfield. Players like Ablett, Danger, Gray, Martin probably would have been the goat small forwards if they spent their whole career there.

Toby Greene ended up playing forward because Gws were so stacked with mids they could use him where he is most dangerous.
A few other elite ones didn't move into the midfield either, guys like Cyril rioli or Eddie betts.

I agree with you for most of them though.

These two went alright.... Abraham's knee injury cost him his career, would have gone down as one of the absolute great indigenous players of the last 25 years imo.

View attachment 1836077

View attachment 1836078
Very good call Abraham was amazingly talented in his prime, he was the first player I matched up on in my first men’s game he wasnt getting as much hangtime then though but still had amazing skills.

Very good call Abraham was amazingly talented in his prime, he was the first player I matched up on in my first men’s game he wasnt getting as much hangtime then though but still had amazing skills.

This is probably the best goal I've ever seen in a North jumper, on the left from 45 on the run as well for good measure.

Currently playing I'd go with Toby Greene quite clearly, his overall influence is huge.

Of retired players, Brad Johnson has to be the pole position, then on the next level Lecras and Jeff Farmer stick out for mine.

Currently playing I'd go with Toby Greene quite clearly, his overall influence is huge.

Of retired players, Brad Johnson has to be the pole position, then on the next level Lecras and Jeff Farmer stick out for mine.
Aaron Edwards. Lower profile player, and same height as Brad Johnson if we are considering 6 foot players. Phenomenal leap, didn't really play the smaller forward/ground ball game but he and Abraham best two marks at North in the last 30 years for their size.

Good call on Jeff Farmer. Loved watching him.

View attachment 1836077

View attachment 1836078
I was going to make mention of Abraham, one of the most naturally talented players I've ever seen.

Nice to see Allison get a mention as well, he gets forgotten a little because North had so many forward options in the 90's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger and Dusty are both incredibly good marking small/mid size forwards. I am not sure many people would want to include them in a list like this because over their careers they haven't played that position enough.

GAJ was an incredible mark too. Very few small defenders could confidently defend any of them.

Dusty never been that strong overhead. Just outmuscles his opponents and wins the ball on his chest or the deck

Dusty never been that strong overhead. Just outmuscles his opponents and wins the ball on his chest or the deck
Absolutely true, but I count any big contested mark as superb regardless of how it is done. (Perhaps I need to think that way since buddy is one of my all time favourites)

I guess Cameron fits the mould of the current best then. Bloke is a matchup nightmare as a deep forward
On his best form (like he was in the first half of the year) Jeremy Cameron is clearly the best player in the league in my opinion. Nobody is even close (I have Bont, Curnow and Trac next up).

The second half of the year made him look... less extraordinary though.

On his best form (like he was in the first half of the year) Jeremy Cameron is clearly the best player in the league in my opinion. Nobody is even close (I have Bont, Curnow and Trac next up).

The second half of the year made him look... less extraordinary though.

Was referring to Charlie haha

Darren Bewick went alright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back