Best Marking small forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Going back a bit, but Wayne Harmes.
Was 5ft 9, but incredibly powerful. Huge leap and massive kick (won the 'VFL longest kick competition they used to have back in the day)
I guess more a utility than a pure small forward though.

If it’s just about best marking then Jason Porplyzia needs a mention - the bloke had completely sticky hands - 179cm tall. Just a vice like grip on him.

No love for Shane McAdam?

He has had a boatload of MOTY noms

Paul Chapman was more a medium, but could take a hell of a mark or kick a ground ball goal like a small.

I'll throw Linc McCarthy into the mix of current players. Not that he is the absolute best but he's up there
I'm 6' (though some of my mates would challenge that and say I'm a tall 5'11) and I saw Linc while hiking, and he is considerably shorter than I am. It is insane watching him do what he does considering how little he is for an AFL player.

I think Charlie Cameron is a great marking small on the lead and running back towards goal too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If 6'0" exactly counts, then the answer is Toby Greene.

Under 6'0" gets a lot more interesting... I'll offer up Leigh Matthews as an underrated mark.

A few other elite ones didn't move into the midfield either, guys like Cyril rioli or Eddie betts.

I agree with you for most of them though.

We did try to move Cyril into the middle in 2010. Would always cop a tag and find a way to shake it. Lots of 20 possession + 2-3 goal games. Unfortunately his body just couldn't handle being a full time mid.

He would still spend bursts or start a few centre bounces.

A forward id have loved to see play in the modern game was Brett Heady. I reckon he would have been elite in 2023 whereas he was just so-so in the 90s.

I feel in history its Brad Johnson and in history in 5 years time its going to be Toby Greene

Does 6 foot 1 count? If so the clear winner is John Coleman.
In that case I present you Gary Ablett Senior

I think that era is a little different, pre-2000 you could be 195cm or under and be a monster KPF. BT, Capper, Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett etc. are all under 192cm.

I'm really surprised that there isn't more admiration for Liam Ryan. He's number 1 in my opinion - with Elliott a close second.

In that case I present you Gary Ablett Senior

I think that era is a little different, pre-2000 you could be 195cm or under and be a monster KPF. BT, Capper, Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett etc. are all under 192cm.
I was mostly joking but yeah, it is crazy how short elite KPF used to be. Hudson too.

Aaron Edwards. Lower profile player, and same height as Brad Johnson if we are considering 6 foot players. Phenomenal leap, didn't really play the smaller forward/ground ball game but he and Abraham best two marks at North in the last 30 years for their size.

Good call on Jeff Farmer. Loved watching him.
I don't think you can call Aaron Edwards a small forward, he had a playing weight of about 100kg and he was the first or second marking target for a couple of years there. Very much an undersized key forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back