Best matches to introduce an American to Aussie Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all,

Got a mate in the States who is fascinated by the occasional link or photo I send him of our great sport.

What do you think would be the best quality games to introduce him to the sport?

Obviously I'm hoping for a North leaning, but I'm after high quality footy that were close games so he can get a feel for that elation/tragedy on the final siren.

I'm open to suggestions.............. and links if people have any :D

Cheers
JD
North vs Geelong in the 2014 Semi Final is a ripping game, St Kilda vs Geelong in Round 14 2009 was the best non-North game I’ve ever seen.

Geelong vs Collingwood GF in 2011 is a cracking game. Has a lot of ebs and flows, two teams at the top of their powers, goes down to the wire and is one of the more highly skilled grand finals I have seen, as well as being tough.

There is a great AFL torrent site if you want to trawl that for some games.
Yeah that's another good one.

I hesitate to recommend it in this context but as a neutral at the game I found the 2007 GF a brilliant spectacle. Might have been a large part my antipathy to Port but Geelong that day had to be seen to be believed.

It's not North related but the last couple minutes of ANZAC Day a few years ago with the Triple M commentary synced with the video is A++.

Just bedlam everywhere, on the field, off the field.

Reckon keep it recent despite how good we were in the 90s, think footy played well today is a better spectacle. I'd lean towards our come behind win vs * in the finals, with Drew's frank the tank. And the final vs Geelong where Lyndsay got us off to a flyer, Hawkins turned it on its head in the last quarter, and Goldy took a game saving intercept mark. Those games are full of drama. You could always make up a highlights reel showing some great plays, marks, heroic acts, and hits through the ages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back