Movie Best movies 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Still got so many I need to watch before I can do my top 10, which is something I look forward to doing at this time every year.

Over the next 2-3 weeks I'm looking forward to seeing Anyone But You, Ferrari, May December, The Holdovers, The Iron Claw and maybe Beau is Afraid and Dumb Money etc

Also, this is clearly the best movie since 2019, which was quite a while ago now. We finally got rid of the pandemic stuff and then the writers strike happened. It looks like it might be lean at times next year however there is a few decent ones already slated for release so we'll see.

Unequivocally a great year in film. And probably the first time in a long time where it had a better batting average than TV.

Like I get slim pickings if you're only going off what's gets advertised nationally and plays at non-independents (and not across what gets put up on streaming here and abroad), but the list of good to excellent films this year was deep.

As usual, the foreign stuff is excellent - and a string of films that should come out in some form by Feb to look out for (The Taste of Things, Fallen Leaves, Evil Does Not Exist, Perfect Days). Barbenheimer was a pretty cool cultural event, and we might have finally ended studios using comic IPs as their cash cows.

Seen as much as I'm gonna see, was torn on no.1.

1. How To Blow Up A Pipeline
2. The Zone of Interest
3. Oppenheimer
4. Past Lives
5. The Holdovers
6. Killers of the Flower Moon
7. Across the Spider-Verse
8. May December
9. Anatomy of a Fall
10. R.M.N

11. Poor Things
12. The Boy and the Heron
13. Are You There God? It's Me Margaret
14. Asteroid City
15. The Killer

Coulda kept going, but I'll stop the self-indulgence - felt too guilty about leaving Fincher out of my top 10.

Unequivocally a great year in film. And probably the first time in a long time where it had a better batting average than TV.

Like I get slim pickings if you're only going off what's gets advertised nationally and plays at non-independents (and not across what gets put up on streaming here and abroad), but the list of good to excellent films this year was deep.

As usual, the foreign stuff is excellent - and a string of films that should come out in some form by Feb to look out for (The Taste of Things, Fallen Leaves, Evil Does Not Exist, Perfect Days). Barbenheimer was a pretty cool cultural event, and we might have finally ended studios using comic IPs as their cash cows.

Seen as much as I'm gonna see, was torn on no.1.

1. How To Blow Up A Pipeline
2. The Zone of Interest
3. Oppenheimer
4. Past Lives
5. The Holdovers
6. Killers of the Flower Moon
7. Across the Spider-Verse
8. May December
9. Anatomy of a Fall
10. R.M.N

11. Poor Things
12. The Boy and the Heron
13. Are You There God? It's Me Margaret
14. Asteroid City
15. The Killer

Coulda kept going, but I'll stop the self-indulgence - felt too guilty about leaving Fincher out of my top 10.
Very nice list man. Jealous about The Zone of Interest, think it will probably have to be a 2024 entry for me.

Agree the slate of movies is very deep this year.

I'm changing my top 10 to put Beau Is Afraid at number 1. Nothing else comes close.
The first two-ish hours features some of the best stuff I saw this year, absolutely. The end kinda fell apart for me, so it doesn't quite crack my top 10 just because those above it a more "complete" in my mind. Keen to revisit some of those earlier scenes though, wild.

I thought this year was great, best since 2019

My top 10 list

Anatomy of A Fall
May December
Blackberry
Afire
Killers of The Flower Moon
Oppenheimer
The Killer
Leave the World Behind
Dumb Money
Past Lives
Beau is Afraid

There are heaps of honorable mentions, Barbie, John Wick 4 , Air, Infinity Pool, The Holdovers, Fair Play, Missing, Quiz Lady, Reality and a few i might have missed

And i still need to see Poor Things, The Iron Claw, Fallen Leaves, Monster ,Eileen, Dream Scenario and a lot of others.
I have now seen Poor Things and Society of the Snow and both easily make my top 10. Society of the Snow broke me like Aftersun did last year.

Feeling ready to do mine well after everyone else has moved on and forgotten about it.

1. Killers of the Flower Moon
2. The Holdovers
3. Fallen Leaves
4. Godzilla Minus One
5. One Fine Morning
6. John Wick 4
7. How to Blow Up a Pipeline
8. Perfect Days
9. Afire
10. Asteroid City

Okay well I'm going to go ahead with mine. I wanted to see Poor Things and Ferrari and a couple more I'm sure I'm forgetting but oh well. It's so hard to rank movies to be honest, I couldn't split a lot

Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 19.12.43.png

I could probably find an argument to make any of the top 6 in that list number one. What a great great year for movies. I think it would have been the most I've attended the cinema before, and the most movies I have watched in total, and the most I have watched from a particular year. I love movies.

Air
Nyad
We have a ghost
Thanksgiving
Breath of life
Candy cane lane
Saw X
A million miles away
No hard feelings
Are you there god? It’s me Margaret
Shooting stars
Our son
Little Dixie
The family plan
Retribution
Champions

Those were my favourites

Okay well I'm going to go ahead with mine. I wanted to see Poor Things and Ferrari and a couple more I'm sure I'm forgetting but oh well. It's so hard to rank movies to be honest, I couldn't split a lot

View attachment 1889963

I could probably find an argument to make any of the top 6 in that list number one. What a great great year for movies. I think it would have been the most I've attended the cinema before, and the most movies I have watched in total, and the most I have watched from a particular year. I love movies.

I realised after I'd posted that I'd forgotten to add Beau is Afraid. Looking forward to May December and The Iron Claw, but yeah, you've just got to post it at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I realised after I'd posted that I'd forgotten to add Beau is Afraid. Looking forward to May December and The Iron Claw, but yeah, you've just got to post it at some point.
The latter two are 2024 releases in Australia anyway, so could easily justify putting them on next years list (it's also likely 2024 won't be as stacked)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back