• Daniel Jackson - Pick 53

• Jack Graham - Pick 53

• Paul Bullus - Pick 52

• Mark Merenda - Pick 50

• Dan Butler - Pick 67

• Sam Lloyd - Pick 66

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

So the club had a countdown of the best 10 picks taken after pick 50 in the National draft, so rookies/pre-season draft/mid season draft players were excluded. They awarded number 1 spot to Chris Newman, but lets see we're in agreement with how the club ranked them.

Chris Newman - 268 games 65 goals Richmond captain from 2009-2012

Andrew Kellaway - 172 games 30 goals Jack Dyer Medalist and AA in 2000

Shane Tuck - 173 games 74 goals

Nathan Broad - 107* games 1 goal 3 x Premiership

Daniel Jackson - 156 games 61 goals 2013 Jack Dyer Medalist

Jack Graham - 97* games 40 goals 2 x Premiership

Paul Bullus - 97 games 20 goals

Mark Merenda - 75 games 62 goals

Dan Butler - 45 games 53 goals 1 x Premiership AA40(2017)

Sam Lloyd - 57 games 69 goals Kicked one of our greatest post siren goals ever

Chris Newman was the first to start to turn our culture around. He mentored Cotchin and brought in the sense of pride in our jumper - something we were sorely lacking at the time. In a very tough period he was one of the few quality players we had in the team and, similar to Richo, deserved a better team around him to finish his career as a premiership player.

Kellaway was a no frills backmen who fought and scrapped his way through every contest. He looked like he was a Robbers Dog but he was another player who was heart and soul during tough times.

I loved Tucky. I'll never forget the preseason Plough tried him in the midfield when before that he was pigeon holed as a KPP due to his size. Plough had to take him out of the game becuase he was dominating so much he couldn't get a read on the other young midfielders. He knew only one way - win the ball and boot it forward. He was a bull and he'll be sorely missed.

Broady the plumber. He's an unsung hero in the backline and will always be in the shadow of our other star backmen but he is a quality player. I'll never forget that post flag photo either.

Daniel Jackson turned his career around one off-season after becoming focused on the positive and getting his mental health right. Until then he had been plagued by fear of failure and self doubt. A bit like Dusty, the power of mediation and hard work made him one of our best midfielders for a time... and then injury struck and retirement beckoned.

Jack..Jack Graham that is! His first season and THAT Grand Final will never be forgotten by Tiger fans and neither will his heroics during the 2019 Prelim playing with one arm and in extraordinary pain. His tackling and endurance is still an asset to our team and his story is not done yet.

Paul Bullus & Mark Merenda - I don't know Paul or Marks career. Anyone?!

Dan Bulter was instrumental to changing our game plan to become all about speed and forward pressure. He and Castagna were a dynamic duo and even from the first preseason games in 2017, he was a major reason why we rattled opposition defenders and turned the ball over. I understand why he left for the Saints but I still wish he was a Tigers player.

That kick after the siren is forever etched in my mind. It was a moment of sheer joy. If Lloyd had of been taller he would have been a star of the competition. He played like a tall and was a dead eye dick in front of goal.

For me - Newman deserves the gong due to his work on and off the field.

Paul Bulluss was a big, very awkward looking CHB - but he was good. Very good. Did the job, tried his heart out, didn't miss a beat. The problem was (as with all 'awkward-lumbering types') was, when he made a mistake it looked terrible. When a stylish flashy player makes a mistake we all say 'Oh he was trying too much there, nearly pulled it off, though etc...'. Bulluss was more than OK.

Mark Merenda was the 'nearly' man. Very serviceable HFF, but always looked like he could become something 'special'. Never quite made it, and injuries slowed him and nearly finished his career. We eventually traded him back home to WA, and he only lasted a couple of seasons. And was a 'nearly' man there as well.

Gonna be really hard to go past Jack Graham in a 5-7 years

Paul Bulluss was a big, very awkward looking CHB - but he was good. Very good. Did the job, tried his heart out, didn't miss a beat. The problem was (as with all 'awkward-lumbering types') was, when he made a mistake it looked terrible. When a stylish flashy player makes a mistake we all say 'Oh he was trying too much there, nearly pulled it off, though etc...'. Bulluss was more than OK.

Mark Merenda was the 'nearly' man. Very serviceable HFF, but always looked like he could become something 'special'. Never quite made it, and injuries slowed him and nearly finished his career. We eventually traded him back home to WA, and he only lasted a couple of seasons. And was a 'nearly' man there as well.

Yeah, Mark Merenda had the potential to be up there with the likes of say a Nathan Brown as a half forward who could also burst into the midfield. 95, 96 were his years before injury got him - in 1996 he polled 15 votes just to underline how good he could have been if he'd had a good run at it.

Be a tighter contest if Newman was removed from the poll.
I'd go in order:
Broad
Tuck
Wako Jacko
Graham
Kellaway
Butler
Lloyd
Bullis
Merenda
You realise Kellaway was AA in 2000. Won a B & F from the back pocket. Also won the Jim Stynes medal in 2002 (internationals against Ireland) which might not seem like much until you real the players who also won it from 1998 - 2005, Silvagni, Akermanis, Hird, Lloyd, Harvey, Nathan Brown, McLeod - fair company.)
He was a very good player.

You realise Kellaway was AA in 2000. Won a B & F from the back pocket. Also won the Jim Stynes medal in 2002 (internationals against Ireland) which might not seem like much until you real the players who also won it from 1998 - 2005, Silvagni, Akermanis, Hird, Lloyd, Harvey, Nathan Brown, McLeod - fair company.)
He was a very good player.
Kellaway was a good solid player.
Those above him I rate better imo.

hard to believe newy was a post 50 pick. He’s number 1 for me. Jack Graham still got 7-8 years in him he’s going to have a pretty strong record

=
hard to believe newy was a post 50 pick. He’s number 1 for me. Jack Graham still got 7-8 years in him he’s going to have a pretty strong record
Maybe, he has some fair opposition in that half forward role he plays. He's want to be cherry ripe unlike last season where he carried an injury.

=

Maybe, he has some fair opposition in that half forward role he plays. He's want to be cherry ripe unlike last season where he carried an injury.

Yeah but it’s not like it’s a fitness issue. He’s a good trainer and runner. Some years you get a bad spell with injuries.

I think the added competition will be good for him. He’s a pick in the 50s. I think the ROI has been pretty solid so far

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back