Travel Best natural destinations in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok to get away from tassie. I’m currently in Darwin.

You'd be enjoying the rain the past couple of days then!

Got caught out today badly, very poor misjudgment of timing to walk up the street to the shops!

You'd be enjoying the rain the past couple of days then!

Got caught out today badly, very poor misjudgment of timing to walk up the street to the shops!
You and me both, got an avsolute shower, going from 1 pub to the next. Heading to Kakadu Wednesday, hearing the only road in and out is via Katherine! Wish me luck!

Edit absolute rather than avsolute my bad!

Just recently returned from a spur of the moment road trip to Uluru
For all the hype and tourist stuff it was a stunning sight
Felt like I was the only person on the planet

Seems that for you and me, this is the key.

Would sooner be lost in the Simpson Desert than to be standing on a balcony at The Grand Canyon or Niagara Falls, alongside bus loads of tourists.

I grew up in the south west of Australia (bout 1.5 hours from Perth) and i have found it is a very underrated part of Australia over here on the east coast. Incredibly beautiful place to grow up, world class beaches, wineries, bush trails/rain forests ect.

Anywhere starting from Bunbury all the way to Augusta is awesome. You'd best like white sand clear blue water beaches :)

I would 2nd this. If the road between Albany and Esperance wasn't such a piece of s**t, I would say the whole way around from Bunbury to Esperance.

Someone else has also mentioned too the south coast of NSW. From Wollongong down is pretty damn spectacular.

If you want a lot more local, check out the Otways and Angahook National Parks also out of snow season and although I haven't been around that way for years, I always remember around the Cathedral State Park was nice or stay at Warburton at the base of the Yarra Ranges and explore from there.

Hello Catgirl TheKanga

Any travel tips on tassie :) please.

The route 66 is something like dis.
Devonport - get car.
Stanely - the nut.
Strahan - even tho I thought strahan was abit of a yawn last time I would'nt mind getting on the west co rail:tram:.
Queenstown- close enough to franklin river nat park.plus the place looks interesting.
Mt field.
Hobart-bruny island etc etc.

Did cradle mt,port Arthur,and the east coast inc Richmond last time.

Hello Catgirl TheKanga

Devonport - get car.
Stanely - the nut.
Strahan - even tho I thought strahan was abit of a yawn last time I would'nt mind getting on the west co rail:tram:.
Queenstown- close enough to franklin river nat park.plus the place looks interesting.
Mt field.

What time of year are you going?

April.. Would of liked to go in the warmer months but still better than june or July.
Are you taking your car, an option starting Devonport, or getting car. It might be cheaper to fly into Launceston, if getting a hire car. Deathstar is an option for Launceston, not for Devonport.

Lonny is a great place to live, not so much for tourism. The First Basin and Cataract Gorge are right by the "city" centre though and if interested the Tamar Valley wine route has close to 20 small vineyards (mostly too small to make it mainland distributors).
But a day or two would do it. (There is more of course; but its not where you're really headed, just an optional add-on.) And its only an hour to Devonport, so if cheaper might be worth it and its not adding huge amounts of travel.

South of Hobart, the Huon Valley and surrounds are pretty much on the way to Bruny Island and worth a stop somewhere. The locals can be somewhat odd, but Cygnet is a really nice little place. The Tahune Airwalk, elevated walkway through tree tops up to 50m above ground, might be worth a look. Not exactly nature at its most raw, but a different view of things being elevated like that.

April.. Would of liked to go in the warmer months but still better than june or July.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/australia/strahan/attractions/ocean-beach/a/poi-sig/1447054/1317375

Ocean Beach near Strahan is worth a look.

If there is snow and there could be in April.
Ben Lomond ski field

Yes Mt Field is great.
There is a forest with a waterfall in it.
You can feed Kangaroos as well.

http://www.tasmaniandevilpark.com
A park focused on Tassie Devils and other native wildlife.

As for Hobart.

Visit Mt Wellington summit, beautiful views of the city and surrounds. (Will be cold)
Mona (In Winter they do the Dark Mofo festival)
Salamanca Markets on a Saturday morning.
Resturants around constitution dock and North Hobart are good.
North Melbourne vs. Carlton on Saturday night, April 14th. (@ Blundstone Arena)
Cadbury Chocolate Factory (Have heard it's not as good anymore)

Further south

Tahune Airwalk
Bruny Island
Hastings Caves

Are you taking your car, an option starting Devonport, or getting car. It might be cheaper to fly into Launceston, if getting a hire car. Deathstar is an option for Launceston, not for Devonport.

Lonny is a great place to live, not so much for tourism. The First Basin and Cataract Gorge are right by the "city" centre though and if interested the Tamar Valley wine route has close to 20 small vineyards (mostly too small to make it mainland distributors).
But a day or two would do it. (There is more of course; but its not where you're really headed, just an optional add-on.) And its only an hour to Devonport, so if cheaper might be worth it and its not adding huge amounts of travel.

South of Hobart, the Huon Valley and surrounds are pretty much on the way to Bruny Island and worth a stop somewhere. The locals can be somewhat odd, but Cygnet is a really nice little place. The Tahune Airwalk, elevated walkway through tree tops up to 50m above ground, might be worth a look. Not exactly nature at its most raw, but a different view of things being elevated like that.
Haven't looked at flights yet didn't know jet star (lol deathstar) don't do devonport Have been to Lonny inc basin etc thought Devonport for samething different.
Not into wine.
We did the tahune last time its a bit like the otway fly.
Thanks for the tips.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/australia/strahan/attractions/ocean-beach/a/poi-sig/1447054/1317375

Ocean Beach near Strahan is worth a look.

If there is snow and there could be in April.
Ben Lomond ski field

Yes Mt Field is great.
There is a forest with a waterfall in it.
You can feed Kangaroos as well.

http://www.tasmaniandevilpark.com
A park focused on Tassie Devils and other native wildlife.

As for Hobart.

Visit Mt Wellington summit, beautiful views of the city and surrounds. (Will be cold)
Mona (In Winter they do the Dark Mofo festival)
Salamanca Markets on a Saturday morning.
Resturants around constitution dock and North Hobart are good.
North Melbourne vs. Carlton on Saturday night, April 14th. (@ Blundstone Arena)
Cadbury Chocolate Factory (Have heard it's not as good anymore)

Further south

Tahune Airwalk
Bruny Island
Hastings Caves

Thanks kanga :thumbsu: awesome.

Central Middle to top third of Australia is the place to go. By that I mean the NT and all parts of Australia above the Tropic of Capricorn.
There is sooo much natural beauty and for the most part it is untouched and you may be the only people you see on a given day which adds to the serenity.
Any direction outside of Alice Springs are amazing camping spots and water holes, some only 30min away others up to 4hrs away. Further north, you enter amazing gorges, stunning open wetlands and beautiful tropical rains.

Hello Catgirl TheKanga

Devonport - get car.
Stanely - the nut.
Mt field.

Go to Cressy. Ya like paddocks?

Did a roadtrip through Daylesford, Trentham and the Macedon Ranges yesterday. Felt like overdosing on country Vic before going overseas in a few days.

Firstly, Lake Daylesford. Stunning little stroll that felt like Switzerland at times. Walk doesn't take too long from the carpark. There's a little café called Boathouse Restaurant IIRC with a gorgeous outdoor seating area right next to the lake. Cannot beat the view, and the food is pretty tight too. Cute little secondhand bookshop/café next to it as well.
74507bbe6f0839a031584cdfc1113067.jpg

I got some shots of the Trentham Falls, but they weren't much special. There's an off the beaten path to the Falls though, and you can get some spectacular views. I got drenched.
61706381144ce2ab78c81776012da140.jpg

Went for a hike at Hanging Rock. Was somewhat difficult, but still doable. If you like dusty rocks, lizards and bushland, then it's a welcome sight. The views were okay.
833a63752c3d9bb3e09990066332c793.jpg
8cad78131cf169fc2ff0bef78b225426.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back