Vic Best nightspots to go in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

And then it's dead in winter?
Pretty much. Then they start to comeback around the time of the AFL grand final when the sun starts to shine again.

Definitely been an increase in day parties or whatever you want to call them in the past 12-18 months. I don't mind them. It's a good feeling being able to wake up on a Saturday morning and head to an event for afternoon beers in the sun.

Was going to head out last Saturday with a few mates to try a bar somewhere but things fizzled and I just ended up at Circus. Might give it another crack this weekend. So does anyone know some bars where a few 20 year old uni students won't feel completely out of place?

Bars do seem to be for a bit of an older crowd but surely there's somewhere for a younger crowd? Nightclubs just end up too messy and expensive for me if I go regularly.

Was going to head out last Saturday with a few mates to try a bar somewhere but things fizzled and I just ended up at Circus. Might give it another crack this weekend. So does anyone know some bars where a few 20 year old uni students won't feel completely out of place?
on a saturday night? in melbourne? just go to toff. sit in the smokers, talk some s**t.

How is a club more expensive? If you're going out anywhere except a pub with a great happy hour, chances are it's going to be a $100-plus night. If anything heading to a club like we all used to do (RIP pre-drinks, 2008-2015) was cheaper: split a slab, get there at 12, spend $70-odd and take in a flask. Nowadays a solid session of drinking something decent is going to result in 8 x $12 at least. I mean who goes out to a bar and drinks s**t?

I understand the appeal of these day parties but it ain't me, really. I don't want to spend $70 for a ticket to some DJs I'm only mildly interested in. If Joy Orb and Bicep were big here instead of another ******* Floating Points show I'd be down for it, but most of the acts you get here are almost visa pests... here every August and January.

I agree with you for the most part, but neither Joy Orbison or Bicep are small names here though. The latter packed the Caulfield racecourse in 2015.
Nina Kravitz and Ben Klock headlining the same bill almost certainly helped the ticket sales to be fair. Unreal day.

Novel are fantastic at bringing out Boiler Room's best.

Last edited:
I went to the Garden State Hotel last night.

I was about six months late but it's a pretty cool place. Is there an outdoor area somewhere? We just sat at the front in the booths and then that middle section for a bit but it was a good place to just hang out and have a few beers; definitely that good sort of place where you go after dinner and then your night ends up being a balltearer.

The beer selection was s**t though. Pretty sure it was Fat Yak, Wild Yak, Draught and Peroni and then two shitty wannabe Pale Ales. And Melbourne. Basically anything more than 4.2% alcohol was absolute shite.

The beer selection was s**t though. Pretty sure it was Fat Yak, Wild Yak, Draught and Peroni and then two shitty wannabe Pale Ales. And Melbourne. Basically anything more than 4.2% alcohol was absolute shite.
Tap? That's a decent enough range. I wouldn't be disappointed with a place that had Yak, Draught and Melbourne on tap.

How is a club more expensive? If you're going out anywhere except a pub with a great happy hour, chances are it's going to be a $100-plus night. If anything heading to a club like we all used to do (RIP pre-drinks, 2008-2015) was cheaper: split a slab, get there at 12, spend $70-odd and take in a flask. Nowadays a solid session of drinking something decent is going to result in 8 x $12 at least. I mean who goes out to a bar and drinks s**t?

I understand the appeal of these day parties but it ain't me, really. I don't want to spend $70 for a ticket to some DJs I'm only mildly interested in. If Joy Orb and Bicep were big here instead of another ******* Floating Points show I'd be down for it, but most of the acts you get here are almost visa pests... here every August and January.
Clubbing used to be alright financially for me. Nowadays my alcohol tolerance is pretty high so I'll literally be at a nightclub all night smashing down drinks, and most likely some MD. Ends with me being out extremely late or kicking on to Revs.

At least if I'm at a pub, bar or hotel I tend to slow down and finish up early.

I was about six months late but it's a pretty cool place. Is there an outdoor area somewhere? We just sat at the front in the booths and then that middle section for a bit but it was a good place to just hang out and have a few beers; definitely that good sort of place where you go after dinner and then your night ends up being a balltearer.

What was the crowd like?

Would you be disappointed with that though? I mean there's basically something there for everyone

I guess a place having less than seven tap beers has never been an obstacle to me having a great time.
I don't particularly like any of those, so yeah I'd be disappointed.

I'd of course deal with it and just drink the Yak, but none of them are beers I like that much.

I don't particularly like any of those, so yeah I'd be disappointed.

I'd of course deal with it and just drink the Yak, but none of them are beers I like that much.
Fair enough I guess

I've never heard any customers where I work complain about a similar tap range. But then if you don't like the beer on tap there's always gonna be bottled beer as well, and cider. It's just nothing I've considered to be an issue with people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a s**t beer range. The beer selection honestly looked like something you'd see at a provincial tavern or an airport bar.

Fat Yak is like a fruity pale ale with 100ml of water thrown in. It's also, what, 4.2% alcohol? Kind of bad value. Why people drink that s**t is beyond me. It's not offensively bad or anything like that but for the price and for what it attempts to be, there's way better stuff. Obviously it was a CUB distributed set of kegs which was the issue. It's a pretty big venue and I could imagine there's probably 300, 400 people in there on a Friday night. The bar is one of those big square ones and there were two sets of taps (which were the same?) and one downstairs (which was also the same?)... there's room to have more, and plenty of venues that big generally have at least twice as many taps. If there is one good thing about bars in the city, I generally don't like drinking there, it's the fact almost all places have a heap of beers from kegs.

I got a pint of Melbourne Bitter and remembered again why it's so bad. It has that hollow, washy taste all CUB beers have. I never understood why people love it. As for Peroni, it's a decent lager but the red is way better and when you're spending $12 for a pint of it... I'd probably rather something a little more interesting for that price.

I had a great night for what it's worth too, really enjoyed myself. Why do people on this forum love inferring your night was s**t or you can't enjoy something because there's a minor obstacle. I had dinner at Cookie and it was awesome as always but I did think the tap beers there were a little empty (seems a bit of a let down to have good food but beer from a stubbie)... it's just a review – I think even positive reviews have some shred of constructive criticism.

Also how could a s**t selection of beers not be an issue at a pub?! If you go to a restaurant and there's six dishes on the menu and they're all bland... wouldn't that be an issue? If you went to buy a new shirt and a shop only sold four different ones... wouldn't that be a disappointment?

Above tap range is fine surely. Carlton is decent off tap, Melbourne is fine, not a fan of Fat Yak but has its appeal for some. Couple of pale ales, Peroni is nice enough. Honestly see no problem at all with that range. I'll rarely get anything other than the cheapest option if it's $12-$13 for the exy beers, adds up over the course of the night. That might say more about me though.

Carlton is ******* rubbish. Why young men drink it is beyond me. It's a nice, new looking venue in the city and I don't really want to be drinking bloody Carlton Draught. They had like one pale ale – Fat Yak is the Corona of pale ales, no thanks. Four Pines summer is okay but it's a little light and again, 4.2% alcohol which isn't good for a plethora of reasons.

Regardless, it's a good venue even if the selection of beers is a bit underwhelming and boring.

I had a great night for what it's worth too, really enjoyed myself. Why do people on this forum love inferring your night was s**t or you can't enjoy something because there's a minor obstacle. I had dinner at Cookie and it was awesome as always but I did think the tap beers there were a little empty (seems a bit of a let down to have good food but beer from a stubbie)... it's just a review – I think even positive reviews have some shred of constructive criticism.
Yeah nah it's not like that at all I've just literally never heard anyone complain about tap selection. If I was out with a mate and they called that selection limited I'd give em a weird look.

Also how could a s**t selection of beers not be an issue at a pub?! If you go to a restaurant and there's six dishes on the menu and they're all bland... wouldn't that be an issue? If you went to buy a new shirt and a shop only sold four different ones... wouldn't that be a disappointment?
This is just dumb lol

How is that dumb? You go to a bar to spend money on drinks. How is it outrageous to say "jeez, these beers on tap are pretty s**t." I didn't complain about it there, and the venue is a pretty good one, but it was weird to see a really big bar have six taps and them all being pretty naff and boring. I'm not saying anything outrageous here at all.

Beer range is definitely something that you should be able to complain about. If you're going to these new pubs and bars you'd expect them to be a bit more out there with their beer selections. They're basically the most basic of beers you can buy those beers listed, and I'm guessing you're still paying a fairly hefty price for a pint of Carlton or Peroni too.

It's 2017 and pubs really should be able to offer more in terms of beer range. There's breweries everywhere and even the most bland beer drinking mates have started trying craft beers. The market has exploded. Fat Yak people literally just buy now because it's a cheaper "craft" option.

What is wrong with walking into a new venue and expecting some more modern and different options?

Surely they could offer some Hawkers, Mountain Goat or Moon Dog on tap?

Its still pretty good aint it. I think its city location means it wont be thrashed into something like every other joint in Melbourne.

What would be considered a good selection of tap beers? Fat Yak isn't too bad and is the only beer worth drinking at LOTI. Prefer Hawthorn Pale Ale though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back