Vic Best nightspots to go in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

j0rdy1 do you do drugs or did you towards the end? Or drink? I remember you were sober all your nights out and I actually really respected that you were just a young guy into music and the vibe of heading out, rather than getting really cactus.

Sort of sad to hear about Wah; wild. I used to go there a little bit in about 2013-2014. I think on a Wednesday? It was never my or my mate's scene whatsoever and we were the only blokes in shirts – in fact even a t-shirt, with sleeves and all, was a rarity – but I still have memories of them, even if they aren't totally romantic.
I pretty much did drugs from about 2013-2015 which was the time I actually went out regularly in the city mostly to Wah, Cloud and Tramp. I would say about half my nights out were sober though as even though I was an idiot smashing mdma, ketamine, speed, 2cb etc. on a semi-regular basis I knew to space it out somewhat.

2016-2017 I solely just went to Tramp and just drank, they were by far the most ****ed up nights I ever had out clubbing as I'm a small guy (60kg) and do not know when to stop.

Just googled ******* Storyville... all these gothic letters and mythic words on the door for a joint where we used to get in at 1am with a handful of blokes and 15 stubbies under our 19 year old self's. I mean this is a joint that propagated juice (what a meme). Fmd I used to wonder what it'd be like to walk around Melbourne when your kids and silently think 'I must have poured three grand into that place...' but it's only a few years! Wild s**t man.

Reckon pubs in Fitzroy etc will be showing much of the World Cup? That 8pm France v Socceroos game is a nice proposition.

Never got the hype for the Rose. I lived on the city side of Fitzroy (don't call it Fitzroy South you flogs) and it was a bit of a trek but whenever I went it was pretty expensive for Melbourne and also had pretty bad bar staff. Had this reputation as a cosy, classic pub and sort of wasn't? I dunno. Labor in Vain is odd... once asked them to chuck the footy on and the guy said 'I'll wait until bounce down.' And that's cool. But then it was bouncedown and I got a mate to ask as he went for the next round and the guy basically said 'unless someone else asks we won't bother.' Yeah I get you don't want to be a footy club, but, ya know. Also Labor in Vain don't seem to ever dust the place.

Might do the Provincial. I should hate it but I've just had too many good nights there. It isn't especially cheap but a while back me and an old mate caught up and ordered two pizzas and a thing of chips (IPA hunger). Anyway it was like an hour and nothing came so we asked – dude was so accommodating, got us two rounds for free and sent out another extra thing of chips. And refunded us. Plus I like the low couches in the middle bit and I've spent plenty of good arvos having 'just a couple' out the front while trend spotting flogs and pissing myself laughing. G'damn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never got the hype for the Rose. I lived on the city side of Fitzroy (don't call it Fitzroy South you flogs) and it was a bit of a trek but whenever I went it was pretty expensive for Melbourne and also had pretty bad bar staff. Had this reputation as a cosy, classic pub and sort of wasn't? I dunno. Labor in Vain is odd... once asked them to chuck the footy on and the guy said 'I'll wait until bounce down.' And that's cool. But then it was bouncedown and I got a mate to ask as he went for the next round and the guy basically said 'unless someone else asks we won't bother.' Yeah I get you don't want to be a footy club, but, ya know. Also Labor in Vain don't seem to ever dust the place.

Might do the Provincial. I should hate it but I've just had too many good nights there. It isn't especially cheap but a while back me and an old mate caught up and ordered two pizzas and a thing of chips (IPA hunger). Anyway it was like an hour and nothing came so we asked – dude was so accommodating, got us two rounds for free and sent out another extra thing of chips. And refunded us. Plus I like the low couches in the middle bit and I've spent plenty of good arvos having 'just a couple' out the front while trend spotting flogs and pissing myself laughing. G'damn.

I have lived in Fitzroy for years and never, ever heard any part of it referred to as ‘Fitzroy South’. The rose used to be a decent pub for footy and a few beers, the renovations opened it up too much really and took away the older vibe that was there, plus the food ain’t crash hot anymore.

Melbourne seems to have lost a bit of something lately with the pandering in Fitzroy and yuppie venues in the city, so is there anywhere that's not too began to watch the Socceroos game? Wouldn't mind playing some pool and grabbing a bowl of chips ya feel, but not essential.

It's unfortunate Melbourne and probably Australia doesn't really do sportsbars. A big * off FOXTEL sign and the sound off is how it goes for 98% of "live sport" places. And a TV with ******* horse racing. Why not stay home and drink toilet cleaner instead?

Noticed when watching the France game in a cbd bar the multicultural crowd you get with the game. Guess it makes sense unlike football, cricket & racing which basically attracts exclusively Aussies.

Bogan crowd can be fun at times

Remove this Banner Ad

Back