Vic Best nightspots to go in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Four posts in a row. Damn. 'pls respond.'

Anyway what's with: the Great Britain Hotel being closed? In Richmond. All signs of life date as far as 2015 but I was going there at least early last year. They used to do $7 pints of anything until about 5pm and the beer garden was pretty dece, free pool some arvos too.

Also why is there not a proper and good pub anywhere from North Melbourne, Kensington, Flemington, Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds, and Essendon? I get some people a little more narrow in the corridor can easily get to Brunny and drink but honestly wtf. Just a heap of wine bars for 45-year old single women. I reckon if you got somewhere like the Union and made it actually good you could print money. Such a huge market. Tram line there, get people from even Maribyrnong, do your staples like Coopers and Furph for 9 bucks, have a burger night, nice beer garden. All I want is a simple pub with a decent facade, tap prices that don't gouge you, and a nice beer garden. Fmd I'm frothin for an ale and there's nowhere! Even the Doot has potential but they're too busy wanting to be some sort of Budapest backpacker's den.
Three Crowns North Melbourne. Decent food and beer and proper pub atmosphere.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

The Cherry Tree in Cremorne. My local and very enjoyable.

Please smack it down Silent Alarm for whatever reason
I haven't been there for years. Is it still delightfully old school or has it been gentrified?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Four posts in a row. Damn. 'pls respond.'

Anyway what's with: the Great Britain Hotel being closed? In Richmond. All signs of life date as far as 2015 but I was going there at least early last year. They used to do $7 pints of anything until about 5pm and the beer garden was pretty dece, free pool some arvos too.

Also why is there not a proper and good pub anywhere from North Melbourne, Kensington, Flemington, Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds, and Essendon? I get some people a little more narrow in the corridor can easily get to Brunny and drink but honestly wtf. Just a heap of wine bars for 45-year old single women. I reckon if you got somewhere like the Union and made it actually good you could print money. Such a huge market. Tram line there, get people from even Maribyrnong, do your staples like Coopers and Furph for 9 bucks, have a burger night, nice beer garden. All I want is a simple pub with a decent facade, tap prices that don't gouge you, and a nice beer garden. Fmd I'm frothin for an ale and there's nowhere! Even the Doot has potential but they're too busy wanting to be some sort of Budapest backpacker's den.

Great Britain had been closed for at least 3 months now.

Ended up at The Boilermaker for a little bit last night before heading out.

Cool place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hardimans in kensington?

been a couple of times in the arvo and it's been pretty good if a bit family orientated
Sounds like a right big shithole.

Reviews everywhere: food that takes ages to come out, that's cold, at different times, and is plain bad when it comes out. Everyone there behind the bar is useless, clueless, and by the sounds rude. And then there's apparently security there at all times? Looks like a beaut old pub from the outside but nothing but steel and stools inside. Some of these things sound like teething issues but others don't. Tbh it sounds fun to check out it's so flawed on every level.

Honestly how hard is it to operate a decent pub? Don't make it gronky and don't make it full of stainless steel. If you have a classic shell then how hard is it to use the old interiors as a starting point? Have some expensive, nice craft beers and swing $9 Furphys and Coopers and no one cares, simple well done menu...

As for Norf, the Town Hall is okay and pretty good in winter but because it's like that it's terrible in summer. Also it attracts a heap of complete tools and the four or five times I ducked in, I think only once did I have a beer and meal in peace. All sorts of local medicated * ups slurring and disrupting and intimidating everyone, bar staff didn't care and thought it was all too hard.

Three Anchors is okay but it's not very cheap at all and it just seems a bit weird? Like the layout? I don't really rate big dining areas and theirs takes up most of the venue. The staff are really ******* odd (straight down the line, devoid of personality, just cold) and it's always really *in bright. Also kinda tacky use of posters. Plus they have acoustic music all the time... please, * right off with that. This isn't Byron Bay and you aren't going to be discovered.

Leveson used to be pretty good when it first opened but a few months later they got a bunch of snooty nosed 22-year old chicks who thought they were about four points hotter than they are, all the beers were quasi-craft, they insisted on putting artificial grass inside (??) and the decent beer garden had all these umbrellas there which they clearly got for free from about three separate aperitif companies.

It just seems so weird??? I get that it's a very yaaahh brunch sort of place and also a 'three rosés and let's go home,' and Fitzroy probably has more cool points, but ffs there's a decent captive audience. I don't want to get on a tram to enjoy a beer in the sun.

Great Britain had been closed for at least 3 months now.

Ended up at The Boilermaker for a little bit last night before heading out.

Cool place.

What's the go? I had a search online and everything (their facebook, heaps of articles) were lamenting its demise in 2015. I was going a little bit in 2016 so it wasn't the case.

It never seemed to have dickheads there, always a decent amount of people to give it an ambience but no time wasted lining at the bar. Never tried the food but it looked okay. Okay location. Pretty baaad exterior though. Guess it's all hotels now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the go? I had a search online and everything (their facebook, heaps of articles) were lamenting its demise in 2015. I was going a little bit in 2016 so it wasn't the case.

It never seemed to have dickheads there, always a decent amount of people to give it an ambience but no time wasted lining at the bar. Never tried the food but it looked okay. Okay location. Pretty baaad exterior though. Guess it's all hotels now.

Imagine the rent was too high, if I had to guess.

Not that’s it’s a venue I frequented but I see the Elephant & Wheelbarrow has closed on Fitzroy Street.

Actually a weird one. With Day Light Saving coming early (which am not a fan of but anyway) and the extra daylight, warmer weather there could be a market just for somewhere to hang out, get away from home/work and have a couple. But all appears same old same old where all you have is RSLs or da clubs. And am too young for 1 too old for the other.

Sounds like a right big shithole.

Reviews everywhere: food that takes ages to come out, that's cold, at different times, and is plain bad when it comes out. Everyone there behind the bar is useless, clueless, and by the sounds rude. And then there's apparently security there at all times? Looks like a beaut old pub from the outside but nothing but steel and stools inside. Some of these things sound like teething issues but others don't. Tbh it sounds fun to check out it's so flawed on every level.

Honestly how hard is it to operate a decent pub? Don't make it gronky and don't make it full of stainless steel. If you have a classic shell then how hard is it to use the old interiors as a starting point? Have some expensive, nice craft beers and swing $9 Furphys and Coopers and no one cares, simple well done menu...

As for Norf, the Town Hall is okay and pretty good in winter but because it's like that it's terrible in summer. Also it attracts a heap of complete tools and the four or five times I ducked in, I think only once did I have a beer and meal in peace. All sorts of local medicated **** ups slurring and disrupting and intimidating everyone, bar staff didn't care and thought it was all too hard.

Three Anchors is okay but it's not very cheap at all and it just seems a bit weird? Like the layout? I don't really rate big dining areas and theirs takes up most of the venue. The staff are really ******* odd (straight down the line, devoid of personality, just cold) and it's always really ****in bright. Also kinda tacky use of posters. Plus they have acoustic music all the time... please, **** right off with that. This isn't Byron Bay and you aren't going to be discovered.

Leveson used to be pretty good when it first opened but a few months later they got a bunch of snooty nosed 22-year old chicks who thought they were about four points hotter than they are, all the beers were quasi-craft, they insisted on putting artificial grass inside (??) and the decent beer garden had all these umbrellas there which they clearly got for free from about three separate aperitif companies.

It just seems so weird??? I get that it's a very yaaahh brunch sort of place and also a 'three rosés and let's go home,' and Fitzroy probably has more cool points, but ffs there's a decent captive audience. I don't want to get on a tram to enjoy a beer in the sun.

i've been there twice, both in the arvo and sat in the beer garden. ate both times and no issues with the food, which was good.

bonehead beers on tap which was a plus

not the best pub and a bit sterile inside, but the pick of the current bunch in that area.

Went to the Penny Young. Not bad, decent selection of beers but no simple staple which is a bit of a shame. Had the sours which were really nice but who wants to do that all the time? Offer a Coopers Pale Ale for $10 at most ffs. Seems to definitely get a weird bogan Keilor crowd though.

Amazing the going price for a pint these days, Melbourne did well to stick behind but it's not unusual to be stung 11 bucks for a basic beer (but then only $12 for something they would have compensated at $14 with two years ago). Even a few rusted on old favourites that sold jugs for 13 bucks have changed the pricing structure and gouge you.

Had fun at the Asian Beer Cafe the other Friday night.

Mixed crowd, young & old, black, white and asian but was good vibes and only a tiny walk from the station.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back