Best of 3 Grand Final Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Many problems with this concept.
Grand finals are bruising affairs. Game two and three (if needed) would dilute the games as a contest. Injured players etc.
For it to work, the first game would need to be played outside of Victoria with the next two at the MCG, given that the G has a contract to host the deciding game.
One smaller problem would be the GF parade which would be made redundant.
Two games with a possible third, would price it out of the range of fans (but the AFL has never cared about the real fans on GF anyway).

That's just off the top of my head.

Best of 3 is a bad idea but they do need to make it fairer for interstate teams somehow. Unfortunately that is now even harder to do with the ridiculous extension of the MCG contract.
I propose that in the case where an interstate team plays a Vic team then the AFL must gaurantee the interstate team 40,000 tickets to at least even up the supporters at the ground. Richmond and Collingwood supporters outnumbered Crows and Eagles supporters by at least 3 to 1 the last 2 years.

The best team will win anywhere. Ask these teams....

West Coast 1992
West Coast 1994
Adelaide 1997
Adelaide 1998
Brisbane 2001
Brisbane 2002
Brisbane 2003
Port Adelaide 2004
Sydney 2005
West Coast 2006
Sydney 2012
West Coast 2018

Three game series is a load of bullsh%t.

What I really liked about this post is you just named 12 premiership teams out of the last 26 years, that's only 1 win away from being 50/50.

Someone would have pointed this out already but:

On SEN doc/kevin was repeating the fact that They should hold game 3 at the MCG, but the only way there would be a third and finale is if and only if the Other teams wins game 2. ..

If the same team wins the first 2 games that negates playing game 3, because the result would already be a foregone conclussion

WC win's Game 1
If WC win game 2, there no point for a 3rd and final KB you old, irrelevant fool

Which is why the system needs to change. Thanks for providing a reason why 3 grand finals are needed.

What I find amusing Seeds, is a few weeks ago before Don Pyke brought this subject up, it wasnt even an issue. Now suddenly we supposedly need a 3 game Grand Final series ??? If he didnt mention it, none of you blokes would have even thought about it.

This is proof that people are chooks. Someone throws out some pellets and the chooks go crazy for them. Its a trick the politicians have been using for years and you lot keep falling for it.

One of the most idiotic ideas yet. I'm convinced sports administrators are just trolling us all as the boredom sets in pre draft day! They have nothing better to do? People who think a best of three AFL Grand Finals is a good idea are just numbskulls who think they can dribble their idiotic ideas without repercussions. Sack these clowns! A best of three Grand Finals in our game is total insanity and Tom Harley, Andrew Ireland or any other supporter of this madness should be placed in the rathouse immediatley and indefinitely!

Why do dickheads even talk about this? STOP wasting valuable air.
There would be no players left from the best 22 by the 3rd Grand Final such is the physical nature of our sport and the reality that most players are carrying injuries by then anyway. Dickheads are dickheads

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do dickheads even talk about this? STOP wasting valuable air.
There would be no players left from the best 22 by the 3rd Grand Final such is the physical nature of our sport and the reality that most players are carrying injuries by then anyway. Dickheads are dickheads
Well said sir

Gee games 2 and 3 in 1989 would've been captivating, Geelong reserves v Hawthorn reserves, dipper out, dermie out, and many many more but i forget who, hawk and cat fans might be able to rattle of more.
It would of been awesome. Ablett was one of the few left standing from that game and we would of bought excell back (he kicked 10 goals against the hawks earlier in the season) and we would of smashed them.

Every final should be a best of 3, because what if you have a bad game in a prelim or a semi. Have a 17 round season and then play finals for 3 months.

***PSA : This is sarcasm***

Basketball can do it with shorter games and less physical wear and tear in a "non-contact" sport. I don't think it works for footy.

We've been on the wrong side of more than one bad grand final performance but we also pinched one before as well. The better team doesn't always win but that's part of the romance that comes from the highs and lows of sport. One game. Do or die.

Bury the concept and let's not speak of this again.

If I got asked as a kid if I would like to have Christmas three weeks in a row, I'd say yes.

My wife would not like this at all if it ever got up.

Every final should be a best of 3, because what if you have a bad game in a prelim or a semi. Have a 17 round season and then play finals for 3 months.

***PSA : This is sarcasm***

Basketball can do it with shorter games and less physical wear and tear in a "non-contact" sport. I don't think it works for footy.

We've been on the wrong side of more than one bad grand final performance but we also pinched one before as well. The better team doesn't always win but that's part of the romance that comes from the highs and lows of sport. One game. Do or die.

Bury the concept and let's not speak of this again.
The 3 game concept is being brought up due to fairness concerning location. The prelim and semi has a clear higher ranked team who deserves a home final over the other and gets it. In the grand final this is not the case. Thats why its just for grand finals to ocmsider 3 games with an mcg contract and is not needed for other finals.

The MCG contract stipulates that the premiership decider must be played at the G.

So if we move to a 3-game series, a non-Vic team would still have to win an away game, given that games 2 and 3 must be played at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back