Best of 3 Grand Final Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final Draw: "the game needs to be decided on the day. It would be unfair to non Vic sides to travel a second week"

Best of 3 Grand Finals: "to make it fair for non Vic sides we should hold a best of 3 Grand Finals"

* sake make up your mind media :rolleyes:

So top 4 teams could play more grand final matches than they play other finals? Sounds annoying, and takes all the hype out of a grand final. It works in basketball because it's a much shorter game, also ruins the chances for upsets. Imagine having to watch the 07 GF twice though, yeesh.

Grand Final results involving Interstate teams since 1990
Won 11
Lost 11

What's the freakin' problem?

I remember after 2006 there was panic about Victorian sides being uncompetitive.

What goes around comes around and interstate sides will have their day in the sun again.

"We must change"
"Why?"
"For the sake of change"

Not at all. The current system lacks integrity. Do we want to have a fair system, or a biased one?

Richmond getting two home games in last years finals series when being the lower ranked team is a clear example.

Because a few have gone Vic’s way, so the natural brainless reaction is we have to change anything.

There’s been 16 GFs vic vs other, record is 8 each.

Wasn’t there a royal commission when a few non-Victorian clubs won grand finals in a row?

Will have to rename it since 'Grand Final' won't make a heap of sense with 2 more games to play.
Also why won't anybody think of Up there Cazaly? That'll have to be re-recorded to "one day in September and two days in October, unless one team's s**t and there'll only be one day in October".

Plus it's a terrible idea
EFA

How stupid is this? It doesnt give any advantage back to interstate teams?

It should be best of 2 not 3. 3 is stupid the two games cancel It each other out then ya left wih MCG.

It should be 2 games. 1 game at top teams home ground and the final game at the MCG. Granted this way can see he loser of the MCG final the actual winner by %. But u think its fairer and a comprimise.

TOP 6
Week 1: Top teams rest
3v6, 4v5
Week 2: 1v4, 2v3
Week 3. 1v2 - GF1
Week 4. 1v2 - MCG GF2

I personally would love this more. Quality football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless the GF can be moved, then this is the only solution to what is a bullshit and massive issue in terms of equity and fairness in the AFL. There is no way, in an uncompromised competition, that Adelaide should be forced to play a GF at the lower ranked team's home ground, with Victorian umpires. Screw the 'traditional' argument, it is currently compromised. The stats for a Victorian team winning it against an interstate side tell the story, last 5 years especially. 5 - 0 Victoria

Last edited:
I thought pre-season was over. Stop trying to mess with the game FFS.

If you're good enough, you're good enough to win.

Only 1 interstate team has been good enough to beat a Vic team in the grand final in the last 15 years. Despite interstate teams finishing in the top 4 way more than their fair share of the time.

The modern competition is so even now that the chances of it happening again in the next 20 years are very slim. The home ground advantage is just too big to overcome.

Unless the GF can be moved, then this is the only solution to what is a bullshit and massive issue in terms of equity and fairness in the AFL. There is no way, in an uncompromised competition, that Adelaide should be forced to play a GF at the lower ranked team's home ground, with Victorian umpires. Screw the 'traditional' argument, it is currently compromised. The stats for a Victorian team winning it against an interstate side tell the story, last 5 years especially. 5 - 0 Victoria

You do realise that the same umpires would be appointed regardless of location, don't you?

As for the venue, it is practically impossible to move the game on a weeks notice....and in addition to it's size, the MCG is the most fair venue in the country (as away teams get to play there during the year more often and are thus more familiar with it).

I hate to break it to you but you have it arse about. The issue is not that certain teams would be unfairly penalised by not playing in Geelong for 10 years. The issue is that all teams should have to play at all grounds over a period of time. There should not be a "Collingwood have heaps of supporters so don't travel to Geelong" rule.

I think if you read the post the point was everyone should play everyone at a ground home and away, that's the only way to make it fair so that every team has a home and away advantage. Then perhaps start worrying about the finals that teams qualify for after the home and away season.

Why do I get the feeling this is a massive smokescreen designed to generate heated but ultimately pointless debate while the AFL then sneak in the change of Grand Final timing to evening, which in comparison won't seem as stupid?

I don't mind the premise TBH

However, it's definitely impractical

And any other solution is also completely impractical;
- Have it at the higher finishing teams home ground; size of Aus doesn't really allow for any sort of forward planning unless 3/4 highest finishing prelim teams are from same state and that would only mean it could be Victoria and be the MCG anyway
- Have it a completely neutral venue; the AFL doesn't have anything suitable as there is no go-to ground ala Wembly for the FA Cup that no-one plays on except for finals/semi-finals/international games

Even having a set venue each year is impractical given the size of the country

Out of all of the options, best of 3 probably is the most do-able, but logistically it's a nightmare and would lose a lot of meaning if 2 MCG tennant teams end up in the GF

Leave as is until the lease runs out - the main way to make it fairer would be guaranteeing a minimum number of games at the MCG each year (or average over 2 years) for every team. Other than that there's not a lot that can be done
This
It's probably different for WA and SA, but I think our guys deserve a chance to play at the G, if we're good enough to get there. They would have grown up dreaming of it. NSW does (currently) have the biggest stadium outside the G. But a GF with a whole lot of people more interested in NRL, or filling in time to the next Bledisloe cup game would be a travesty.

Delicious. Bet you were complaining when you went B2B over Victorian teams at the G, or when Brisbane 3 peaked over Victorian teams at the G. The last 5 years has featured monumental chokes from West Coast and Adelaide, along with one of the more dominant sides ever happening to be Victorian, in Hawthorn.

This
It's probably different for WA and SA, but I think our guys deserve a chance to play at the G, if we're good enough to get there. They would have grown up dreaming of it. NSW does (currently) have the biggest stadium outside the G. But a GF with a whole lot of people more interested in NRL, or filling in time to the next Bledisloe cup game would be a travesty.
I wonder which the GWS players would rather, a flag won at a Sydney stadium or to play a GF at the MCG but lose?

I do expect GWS to win at least one flag under the current system but once its start up concession list is turned over and they have had to rebuild under equal rules with the rest of the competition I wouldn't hold your breath for the next one.

I wonder which the GWS players would rather, a flag won at a Sydney stadium or to play a GF at the MCG but lose?

I do expect GWS to win at least one flag under the current system but once its start up concession list is turned over and they have had to rebuild under equal rules with the rest of the competition I wouldn't hold your breath for the next one.
I said if we're good enough. I couldn't give a flying * what you think of our long term prospects frankly, and they aren't relevant to what I posted.

To answer what was relevant, no team will ever know if they would have won at thelis ground or another. All they will ever know is the result of games that were played. If you go in with the attitude that's it's the wrong ground, or that your disadvantaged you've already lost though.

I stated I get it's different for WA and SA who have their own rich footy traditions, but a GF in NSW standalone, or as part of a set, would be a travesty in my view.

Last edited:

Not sure how you expected Adelaide to win the grand final with the frog sh1t they threw up last year.

You were beaten be a much better team on the day.

GF'S SINCE 1990:
Vics: 11
Interstate: 11

The stats dont lie

I said if we're good enough. I couldn't give a flying **** what you think of our long term prospects frankly, and they aren't relevant to what I posted.

To answer what was relevant, no team will ever know if they would have won at thelis ground or another. All they will ever know is the result of games that were played. If you go in with the attitude that's it's the wrong ground, or that your disadvantaged you've already lost though.

I stated I get it's different for WA and SA who have their own rich footy traditions, but a GF in NSW standalone, or as part of a set, would be a travesty in my view.[/B][/B]
Mate my reference to GWS's long term prospects apply to all non vic clubs - it was not a dig at your club.

Yes you can only play at the ground you are playing on and I don't think for one minute players & coaches would look at it any other way. However it is clear home ground (state) advantage is clearly a thing - so much so the AFL changed its rules in regard to all finals except the GF after the Brisbane home preliminary final at the MCG in 2004. Also if clubs had the chance to have the GF played at their ground your kidding yourself they wouldn't jump at it no matter how much they might tow the company line in public.

Your really think a Sydney GF would be full of non interested rugby league types? Not a chance. Last year thousands upon thousands of Adelaide supporters missed out on GF tickets on top of completely filled allocation the support base received. There isn't a stadium in the country that wouldn't be filled with AFL club fans on GF day - in fact you might find more get to go than currently.

I get that you would like to see your side win a flag at the "home of football" and I honestly think you will. However if your side is handicapped almost every time it has a chance to win the flag regardless of whether it has earn't the higher seeding simply because of a tradition that made sense in a state league competition it questions the integrity of the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back