Best on ground

Remove this Banner Ad

it's popular?!?! :eek:o_O

This is what you call TV executive spin.

Most thier viewers are because of the lead in with a Saturday night game proceeding it.

If they wanted to make an entertainment show they should've invested in new talent.

IMO, Best on Ground is THE worst show in the history of football entertainment.

It sucks, but I’ll admit that quite often my TV is left on Fox Footy after the game finishes. I guess I’m counted in their ratings numbers, and I hate it.

Yep 360k until people get an idea what sort of s*** it actually is after the first segment.

Also...they employ writers? I reckon 99.9 per cent of uncles who still do pull my finger on Christmas Day are funnier.

According to this TV Tonight article, not only will BOG be back next year but on a grander scale.

Apparently the concept of the show came off an off-hand conversation between Jonathan Brown & Matty Johns at the Logies... probably format how most TV decisions are made these days.

Article pumps up the incredible ratings its got but afaik that's all on the back of the footy match just completed.

This all reminded me of how Ch 9's cricket coverage in the 2010s went downhill under Steve Crawley's watch as well.

As the GF showed, ratings are a crock of s***

As the GF showed, ratings are a crock of s***

AFL Grand Final lowest metro audience since 2001; Nine steals the week​

Saturday’s AFL Grand Final on Seven – which saw the Geelong Cats beat the Sydney Swans with an 81-point win at the MCG – topped overall TV viewing over the weekend, also winning all three key advertising demos.

The footy game which saw 2.179 million metro viewers tune in and aired at the traditional 2:30pm timeslot, was the lowest rating decider since OzTAM began in 2001. It brought in 95,000 viewers on streaming platforms.

AFL Grand Final lowest metro audience since 2001; Nine steals the week​

Saturday’s AFL Grand Final on Seven – which saw the Geelong Cats beat the Sydney Swans with an 81-point win at the MCG – topped overall TV viewing over the weekend, also winning all three key advertising demos.

The footy game which saw 2.179 million metro viewers tune in and aired at the traditional 2:30pm timeslot, was the lowest rating decider since OzTAM began in 2001. It brought in 95,000 viewers on streaming platforms.

Look, 7 and the broadcasters want a night GF. Ratings are so easily skewed and of course, we'll ignore the fact that after years of lockdowns and a sunny day, Melburnians just wanted to get out to the pub, family or friends and watch it together. That doesn't show in ratings.

Look, 7 and the broadcasters want a night GF. Ratings are so easily skewed and of course, we'll ignore the fact that after years of lockdowns and a sunny day, Melburnians just wanted to get out to the pub, family or friends and watch it together. That doesn't show in ratings.
7 will base any conclusions primarily on dollars, advertising dollars.

Fox Footy’s Saturday night entertainment show Best On Ground is returning this season but not every week, instead in a series of primetime specials.

While pleased with how the show rated in its first year, Fox executives were frustrated with the late starting time – often not until 10.30pm – which they had no control over.

In the new AFL rights deal which is scheduled for 2025 – although there is talk some changes could be implemented earlier – Fox Footy will be able to have control over the starting times of games and find a position for Best On Ground in a more family friendly slot.

For example the show will debut this year in Adelaide’s Gather Round in Round 5 at 6pm given there is a one-hour break between games.

Former Crows legend Eddie Betts will appear with plans for South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas to be a guest.

The only change to the line-up is the loss of Nick Riewoldt who has moved to the United States for a year with his family. Kath Loughnan and Mark Howard will again host alongside former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley and Brisbane premiership star Jonathan Brown.

Fox Sports executive director Steve Crawley said the show exceeded expectations in his first year.

“The show has worked out probably better than anyone expected for a first-year entertainment show,” he said.

“I was frustrated every time you’d look at the clock and it’s 10 o’clock, then it’s 10.05 (and it’s still not on).

“That’s one of the reasons why we are not going to do it every week until we are in charge of the bounce times on the Saturday. In the new rights deal we have got a lot more exclusiveness on the Saturday and when we are in that position we will go back to every week of Best On Ground.”

Crawley said the Fox Footy team would sit down over the coming weeks to plan out the specials.

“Already the King’s Weekend in June in Round 13 has been identified,” he said. “It will be on at 6pm there because there is a split in the games.

“The numbers last year were enormous, it was doing 250,000 very late on a Saturday night so imagine what the audience will be at six o’clock.”

There will still be a Best On Ground feel through the weekly broadcast with the show’s comedy writers to work on some special skits which will be sprinkled across Friday night football and the weekend’s games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckley proving his mettle by not admitting the corn chips were hot....his perception of manhood is seriously ‘try-hard’. 🙄🙄

Oh my God, this show is terrible.
What an embarrassment.

KL has been silent, Brownie can’t keep up with Buckley, Eddie is ‘nice’ but no sense of humour and Howard seems ‘distracted’ (Too much party powder?)

There’s stuff all synergy.

Last night when Fox Footy could have been discussing issues like the controversial end to the Carlton-Fremantle match and the fact that Luke Beveridge had just named Jack Macrae as the sub, 'Best on Ground' was talking about Patrick Cripps having a baby.

Last night when Fox Footy could have been discussing issues like the controversial end to the Carlton-Fremantle match and the fact that Luke Beveridge had just named Jack Macrae as the sub, 'Best on Ground' was talking about Patrick Cripps having a baby.

Before the Game has a lot to answer for. That's what spawned the 'ignore the game, concentrate on making lame jokes and even lamer banter' genre.

Before the Game has a lot to answer for. That's what spawned the 'ignore the game, concentrate on making lame jokes and even lamer banter' genre.
Before the game was funny and they gave a good platform for players to have a personality. The 5th quarter was great too with Malcolm blight laying into people. Channel 10 was just better in every single WAY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back