Best Option for Watching Crows games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Another option for games that are still on FTA is to install the channel 7 app on your phone/tablet and change your region to wherever that game is played live. I've been using that for the past couple months (when I remember I can), and stream that to my tv with a Google Chromecast ($50). The quality is fine, especially considering it's free. It's better than AFL Live, but not as good as normal TV etc.
I would imagine most games are live on channel 7 somewhere in AUS right?
What is the resolution like for the channel 7 app? Last time I used it it was well below SD. That may have improved since they started doing the live broadcasts.

A cheaper option would be to walk down to your local hotel that has Foxtel, order a glass of water ( no charge) and sip it whilst watching the Crows. Full season of watching cost $0

My calculations living in Melbourne were more like:

2 x pints per quarter - $16
4 x quarters per game - $64
16 x non-Vic games per year - $1024

Foxtel looks a whole lot more reasonable for functioning alcoholics :thumbsu:

Vader Just use the dark side of the Force.

I use Foxtel. Just upgraded to cable internet after very poor ADSL2. Netflix and Stan work well on that after constant buffering with Stan and downgrade to SD with Netflix once two or more devices used the Internet at oncce.. But I watch more sport than just AFL so not going to bother with watching Footy via the Internet.

Relying on FTA is the worst option.

Hoping the NBN connection doesn't take too long. Right now they're trying to work out where it's connected on their system. They put the grey box on the side of the house 6 months ago, and now they don't know where the connection is at their end.

** This is not entirely iiNet's fault. The house pre-dates the suburb by about 20 years. The address in their database reflects the situation when the house was built, and there was nothing else in the area. Telstra's database (on which iiNet's is built) obviously didn't get updated when the suburb got built and our utilities started coming through the new infrastructure. We shouldn't have the NBN, according to the address they have listed - and yet there's an NBNCo box attached to the side of the house!
We've had people in our area waiting for months for connection even after the "box" had been installed. It's an absolute debacle up here.

Objects to Foxtel as he is a man of principle.

Considers using a VPN and global streaming pass...

"These are my principles, and if you don't like them I have others" - Groucho Marx
The principle was about not paying for stuff he doesn't wamt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"These are my principles, and if you don't like them I have others" - Groucho Marx

I don't see anything wrong with avoiding stupid arbitrary geo-blocks if you're still paying for the content

What is the resolution like for the channel 7 app? Last time I used it it was well below SD. That may have improved since they started doing the live broadcasts.
While I don't really know the exact resolution, I do remember it being quite a bit better than the AFL Live app. I stream it to a 50inch TV, and i believe it is better than SD, but not quite HD. Well watchable though.

Oh sorry, must be $150 USD because I'm in the US at the moment.

Give it a trial during the JLT matches and make sure it doesn't buffer on your internet connection
I have to check what the AFC's Global Membership price is. The AFL's "Watch AFL" site is definitely $189 AUD. The AFC's shop site is blocked

I don't object to paying a reasonable price to be able to watch it on TV. Unfortunately, the AFL has no interest in making this possible. Neither of the legal options are good - AFL Pass has been neutered, and Foxtel is extortionate.

The Global Pass is a reasonable price, and this is probably the path which I will choose.

Given that the Australian Government has said that they have no problems with Australians circumventing region blocking, I fail to see any ethical reasons against using Global Pass.

Unfortunately nothing over 7" this year on the afl app, unless you use chromecast.
that's what I was going to suggest. its not fantastic coverage by any stretch of the imagination, but it might be fit for purpose

Another option for games that are still on FTA is to install the channel 7 app on your phone/tablet and change your region to wherever that game is played live. I've been using that for the past couple months (when I remember I can), and stream that to my tv with a Google Chromecast ($50). The quality is fine, especially considering it's free. It's better than AFL Live, but not as good as normal TV etc.
I would imagine most games are live on channel 7 somewhere in AUS right?
Can you actually watch the footy on the channel 7 app? I would have thought that this would be subject to the same blackout restrictions as the radio stations, who can't stream the games live from their own websites - only through the AFL website.

that's what I was going to suggest. its not fantastic coverage by any stretch of the imagination, but it might be fit for purpose
Not fit for purpose. I'm looking for a picture that is SD at minimum, preferably HD. The neutered AFL Pass is well below SD resolution.

I've got an AFL live pass and I'm trying to work out if there's a way to mirror it from my iPhone to my android media box which has Kodi. Anyone know exactly how?

My pass runs until May so I might look into Foxtel play but unsure. Really frustrated.

Can you actually watch the footy on the channel 7 app? I would have thought that this would be subject to the same blackout restrictions as the radio stations, who can't stream the games live from their own websites - only through the AFL website.
Yeah I don't think you can watch it on the 7 app. Games are replaced with shows like better homes and gardens.

Not fit for purpose. I'm looking for a picture that is SD at minimum, preferably HD. The neutered AFL Pass is well below SD resolution.
actually - its better than SD. I've been watched the crows womens game using that method and it was pretty good. not HD by any stretch, but better than SD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back