Best Option for Watching Crows games?

Remove this Banner Ad

I see you are right. I was sure it wasn't last season.

Because I didn't give my password to my mate who lives 15 blocks away and he didn't use my connection ;)
Everyone here should just chip in and buy the one Foxtel account and share the password.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Everyone here should just chip in and buy the one Foxtel account and share the password.

Even better: someone with Fotxel should just make a Facebook Live stream of all AFL matches

Just to confirm... I need to install Foxtel Play on my media player, not Foxtel Go?
android media player right?

foxtel go, but you'll need to setup a foxtel play account to use it

can only register 3 devices per account :(

android media player right?
Correct
foxtel go, but you'll need to setup a foxtel play account to use it
Let's assume that I can get access to login details for a Foxtel account. Which app do I need to install on my media player?

According to GreyCrow, I need Foxtel Play, as the footy channel is missing from Foxtel Go. According to you, I need Foxtel Go (assuming I have Foxtel Play login credentials). These statements appear to be contradictory.

I have Foxtel. But not in a second room.

If I was to get a Chromecast what app do I need to stream the games using a Foxtel service?

You can't stream it to the Chromecast from any mobile device as far as I'm aware. You could run the PC app and stream your PC to the Chromecast though.

You can't stream it to the Chromecast from any mobile device as far as I'm aware. You could run the PC app and stream your PC to the Chromecast though.
Surely you can if you just mirror your whole phone screen to a Chromecast? Anything playing on your phone would be mirrored, it is just a bit more cumbersome than the dedicated Chromecast button.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct

Let's assume that I can get access to login details for a Foxtel account. Which app do I need to install on my media player?

According to GreyCrow, I need Foxtel Play, as the footy channel is missing from Foxtel Go. According to you, I need Foxtel Go (assuming I have Foxtel Play login credentials). These statements appear to be contradictory.

Up until this year, you could not get Footy on Foxtel Go, Grey Crow corrected himself a few posts later

Correct

bear with me, this is a tad confusing

for Foxtel Play
- on a PC you need to download the Foxtel Play application, which doesn't contain the footy. Foxtel Go if you have a Foxtel Play account (as opposed to their normal satellite or cable service) will not work with Foxtel Play service on a PC. They made this change rather annoyingly last year.
- on your android media player, assuming it has access to the google play store, you use Foxtel Go. That one does have the footy channels

That make sense?

Up until this year, you could not get Footy on Foxtel Go, Grey Crow corrected himself a few posts later
not true. I had foxtel go on my phone for 4 years and watched the footy on it all the time

Correct

Are you going to steal Foxtel?

Watch out the FBI don't find out and gun you down.

Cable boy....no!... cable boy!

Firstly, thank you to everybody for all this info

Correct

I thought you could get it on phones and tablets, just not PC

not true. I had foxtel go on my phone for 4 years and watched the footy on it all the time

Sorry, that is correct, well at least phones previously but now you can on your laptop

Apologies Vader technology is too fast for me to keep up.

I don't have GO on my phone as my phone isn't android, so I wasn't aware ( well I was a little bit) that GO Football was available on the phone. I had downloaded the GO app to my laptop and it works fine , but at the time it did NOT have the football channel, Froggy has corrected me, and I checked, I can now get 2 channels , 504 and 550 , dedicated to AFL. 550 is not in service yet.

Which is bloody fantastic :)

As you all know, I live in Canberra. This means that Crows games are few and far between when it comes to the FTA TV schedule. We average about 5-7 H&A games per year, depending on how many games are bumped because of clashes with Sydney & GWS games.

In the past I've always gone to the Ainslie Football Club, and watched the games on the big screen there. The advantage of this is that it costs me next to nothing. The disadvantage is that I have to drive to the club, hope to find a seat with an unobscured view of the screen, and hope that the untrained monkeys in charge of the system manage to get both the video and audio piped into the right area (it frequently takes them until half-time to get things right).

So.. I'm looking at options for watching the games at home, preferably in HD.

Option #1 - Foxtel
I don't like this on principle - I refuse to pay them for garbage that I have no intention of viewing (i.e. every single channel in their base package). I would consider the option if they allowed viewers to select (and pay for) channels they actually want, but they don't seem to be in any hurry to change their business model.

This is the most expensive option - $125 for the IQ3, plus $65/month (sports + HD) for 7 months. That's a total of $580. Ouch!!!

Option #2 - AFL Live Pass
I have an Android media player, so installing the AFL app and watching the game this way would be trivial. It's also the cheapest (legal) option, at $100 per year. Last year the AFL Pass had a limited screen resolution, this year they've crippled it even further by ensuring that the picture is no larger than the size of an iPhone screen. Stupid, stupid, stupid AFL.

Option #3 - AFL Global Pass
I have the ability to connect the media player via a VPN, so fooling the AFL's Global app into thinking I'm overseas shouldn't be a problem. Cost is $185, which is higher than AFL Live Pass - but so is the picture resolution. What I don't know is whether this service is HD, SD, or something lower than SD.

Option #4 - Streaming from Overseas TV Networks
Most, if not all, AFL games can be streamed, and the cost is $0. Big plus. On the other hand, the picture resolution and sound quality are both poor - well below SD, and the streams frequently stop for "buffering" (though that may stop with a faster home internet connection).

What do people recommend? Does anyone know if the AFL's Global Pass operates in HD?

Option #5

See if one of your friends/relatives has Foxtel and ask them for their FoxtelGO id, the only limitation is that you can't watch the AFL games via Foxtel GO for your PC, but you can on your phone or tablet.

Option #5

See if one of your friends/relatives has Foxtel and ask them for their FoxtelGO id, the only limitation is that you can't watch the AFL games via Foxtel GO for your PC, but you can on your phone or tablet.
Currently investigating this option. Hoping my media player will qualify as a "phone or tablet", given that it's an Android device.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back