Opinion Best PAFC goal ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon ya mean 1979 GF against souths , I was there and it pissed down, we blew game away in first qtr with the aid of a strong wind, kicking 5 goals to nothing.

about 1.12 in.

He did it there too. But he launched one in the 1981 GF from inside the centre square. Was watching highlights last night.

I remember seeing footage of Choco kicking a left foot goal on a tight angle - I think it was while wearing a Port guernsey, but could have been West (I think it was in the SANFL, but I'm not even 100% certain of that).

One of my favourites was 1 of the 3 goals Byron kicked in 2004 GF. He collected the near the centre, sprinted towards goal while taking a few bounces, then kicked a ripping goal. It looked like he was taking a stroll while the Brisbane players were trying desperately to run him down. He just burnt them off.

He made it look so easy but that was just typical Byron.

One of my favourites was 1 of the 3 goals Byron kicked in 2004 GF. He collected the near the centre, sprinted towards goal while taking a few bounces, then kicked a ripping goal. It looked like he was taking a stroll while the Brisbane players were trying desperately to run him down. He just burnt them off.

He made it look so easy but that was just typical Byron.
That run through the middle running and bouncing with both hands. Looked like he was taking the pi55.

Remember that game like yesterday, if we lost we were almost done for the year Glenelg were top and we were big underdogs (pretty sure we lost Greg Phillips for the first half of that year)
My favourite goal of all time was in the 81 GF, the David Granger 30 metre left handed handball to Russell on the run 2 bounces and straight through the middle! Game over before half time.
Phillips did his Achilles in round 1 or there abouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott Hodges kicked 14 that day, including 8 in the third quarter, I think he was more than 50 out with some of those snaps. Absolute freak of a player.
Pretty sure that was the day KG stirred up,some trouble as he was leaving his commentary position. I have footage of the game by the way as I used to record game day highlights. I have heaps from that era on DVD now which were transferred from the old vhs tapes.

Phillips did his Achilles in round 1 or there abouts.

Yep round 1 against Glenelg, they beat us by around 10 goals.

Port went without surgery because they thought it would heal in 10 weeks and it did. Otherwise Greg would have missed the season.

Darrell Cahill in the first quarter of the 1979 GF roved a spill off hands from a 70+m torp from Kym Curtis, threw it on the right boot in forward pocket as a South player ran into smother and floated it through the middle.

Any of Adrian Settre's 3 goals in the 1990 GF, but one where he threw it on the boot while being swung around in a tackle and it went through for a goal. Magical stuff.

Pretty sure that was the day KG stirred up,some trouble as he was leaving his commentary position. I have footage of the game by the way as I used to record game day highlights. I have heaps from that era on DVD now which were transferred from the old vhs tapes.
Yes the first game after the AFL bid was leaked, pretty sure we kicked 13 or 14 goals in the third quarter would be great to watch that game again we had a great side in 89/90.
Have you thought about downloading the games on to YouTube?

Still remember him shouldering his way past supporters who barely cared he was there just to create trouble.

I have one goal in mind. Burton ‘89

Also from that game, I was on the eastern wing and I can recall it was quite windy and Rohan Smith kicked one that swayed violently through the air but ended up splitting the centre. Freakish.

The Prodigal Son, Preliminary Final, 2004 not doing a lot for the game but kicking a goal when it matters most.

It was a great, tight game by both sides and whoever was going to win would need a bit of magic from a champion and Gavin kicked that difficult, match-winning goal. And you can't really talk about that goal without talking about the smother by Shaun either.

I went nuts and around the ground you could feel the St Kilda supporters heart's sinking to the furtherest depths of sorrow.

Great game.

Next day on the footy show, Bomber reckons they had to collect the ball from the Black Diamond Corner. Funny bastard.

Dave Granger was among the (hungover) Port players to appear on the Sunday Footy Show after the 1981 premiership. He was wearing a red beret and his chin was resting on his chest most of the time.

The conversation came around to Ken Cunningham writing Port off for finals during the year and one of the panel (might have been Gary Window) asked Dave what he thought of KG. Dave said he reckoned Cunningham was CP. Ken laughed and said What's CP David, canned peas? Dave looked up from under his beret and said Canned peas? I'll give you canned peas Cunningham. KG laughed nervously and probably wondered if he was was going to get out of the studio alive. :D

Dave Granger was among the (hungover) Port players to appear on the Sunday Footy Show after the 1981 premiership. He was wearing a red beret and his chin was resting on his chest most of the time.

The conversation came around to Ken Cunningham writing Port off for finals during the year and one of the panel (might have been Gary Window) asked Dave what he thought of KG. Dave said he reckoned Cunningham was CP. Ken laughed and said What's CP David, canned peas? Dave looked up from under his beret and said Canned peas? I'll give you canned peas Cunningham. KG laughed nervously and probably wondered if he was was going to get out of the studio alive. :D
Ford, help me out. David Granger was on the ground with two Woodville players on top pummelling him, members' wing at Footy Park. I thought to myself at the time "are they nuts?".
One of them was Coudre (I think. The spelling is incorrect I'm sure), not sure about the other.
Not long after, Granger was standing with Coudre, grandstand forward pocket, southern end (where we sat), play down the other end. Granger trotted up behind him and whacked him, breaking his cheekbone and jaw. He casually jogged off as Coudre crumpled to the ground.

Jack used to hold him back sometimes. He would pace the boundary like a caged animal until unleashed. Wonderfully skilled but a little on the scary side.

I think there were 2 Coudraye brothers that played for Woodville. Roger was a P.E teacher at my school and was a nice guy. He played in mid to late 70s, whereas the older brother played earlier, so was perhaps Roger clashing with Granger.

He (Coudraye) seemed to be quite banged-up (would have been 5 or so years after his SANFL
career finished) with leg/knee injuries, so probably made sense he had tangled with Grave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back