Opinion Best PAFC hits ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Continuing the off season memory lane.

What bumps and tackles are the most memorable in PAFC history.

2 that stand out for me were both in Showdowns.

Pickett on Biglands obviously.

The 2nd is a little more obtuse but after weeks of build up about how Wines had better not try and take on the raging bull Dangerfield. Wines going straight through him fairly contesting the ball and resulting in his having to leave the field bleeding from the head was a real statement.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I never saw the bump where Ivan Eckermann KOed Leigh Matthews for the only time in Lethal's career but I wish I had.

Keith Spencer's shirt front on Kevin Bartlett just outside the members' end goal square early in the 1st qtr in a trial match at Alberton between the Maggies and Richmond in the early1970's (it was legal back then), was a stand out bump for me.

Kev went down like a bag of spuds, but to his credit he eventually gathered his thoughts and was reasonably effective for the rest of the game, which from memory the Victorian tiggers won by about 10 points.

It was the same match in which Eddie Woloszek who was played on loan from his interstate club did a very creditable job at chb on Royce Hart, prompting the Maggies to pay for a clearance.

It was all to no avail though, when the real stuff began Eddie's form fell off a cliff big time, he was soon referred to by the blokes on the mound at Alberton as Eddie `Wetcheck,' and his career at Alberton was over after only 4 or 5 games.

I never saw the bump where Ivan Eckermann KOed Leigh Matthews for the only time in Lethal's career but I wish I had.
I was there and I saw it. I was about 40m away, but I've never seen a replay since the day after the game, so my memory is very grainy on it all.

There are two hits of Pickett and Voss, think its one each. Pickett bump was on the wing at the Gabba Rd 17, 1pt win game in 2003, I was on that wing about 40-50m away, and the 2004 GF members side wing bump. will see if I can dig them up. Both showed how tough each other was.

Not the biggest bump, but one of the most memorable was by one D. Granger in a mid-season game against Sturt in 1981. He was reported by four umpires for a seemingly legitimate hip and shoulder bump on Sturt’s Nigel Wark. There so many umpires running in, it felt like they had driven in from other games just to report Dave.

Granger interviewed post-match said there was nothing wrong with the bump, it was just a fair hip and shoulder. John Cahill said the umpires were creating a soft, wide game that could end the fierce physical contact that players considered acceptable if not enjoyable. The SANFL tribunal after a long hearing dismissed the charge leaving Granger free to play on. Ken Cunningham, admitting he had not seen the incident, couldn’t accept all the umpires were in the wrong and so Granger must have been guilty of something. But it was clear Granger was increasingly coming to the attention of the lawmakers. This was to have repercussions beyond the 1981 season and for football rules as we knew them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mentioned this a few times, Bruce Light taking the wind out of David Holst in the last quarter of the 1977 grand final (around 2.05.40).

Not the biggest bump, but one of the most memorable was by one D. Granger in a mid-season game against Sturt in 1981. He was reported by four umpires for a seemingly legitimate hip and shoulder bump on Sturt’s Nigel Wark. There so many umpires running in, it felt like they had driven in from other games just to report Dave.

Granger interviewed post-match said there was nothing wrong with the bump, it was just a fair hip and shoulder. John Cahill said the umpires were creating a soft, wide game that could end the fierce physical contact that players considered acceptable if not enjoyable. The SANFL tribunal after a long hearing dismissed the charge leaving Granger free to play on. Ken Cunningham, admitting he had not seen the incident, couldn’t accept all the umpires were in the wrong and so Granger must have been guilty of something. But it was clear Granger was increasingly coming to the attention of the lawmakers. This was to have repercussions beyond the 1981 season and for football rules as we knew them.
It was a loooong hearing.

Russell Ebert testified on Dave's behalf, stating the bump was fair under the (then) current rules. Just that DG hit harder than many other players 🎇

From memory, the deliberations over whether guilty or not guilty only took a couple of minutes though 😎
Cleared unanimously 🥳

Shall I be the first to mention Granger on Cornes?

Not wanting to condone violence burt if anyone deserved it...

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

In that game alone, he clobbered Cornes, Sewer, Carey and Maynard (and those are just the ones I saw) and broke Barrett's leg (which he has always maintained was an accident).

He was given basically a 10+ match suspension for the Cornes hit (that was the only one he was reported for) but was in reality rubbed out for cumulative harm.

It was a loooong hearing.

Russell Ebert testified on Dave's behalf, stating the bump was fair under the (then) current rules. Just that DG hit harder than many other players 🎇

From memory, the deliberations over whether guilty or not guilty only took a couple of minutes though 😎
Cleared unanimously 🥳

I remember ringing the club the next day for the verdict because there was nothing being reported on the news services during the night.

Pepe accidental contact to the Umpire, Under 17’s (?)2007

Awkward What Are You Doing GIF by Chloe x Halle

Greg Phillips bump on Matthew Robran at Footy Park. Greg didn't iron him out or anything but the sound it made. Would have registered on seismic sensors in the Flinders Ranges.

Oh My God Omg GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Dean Brogan versus some twat at the dog park

Maybe 05 or 06, against Norwood.
Adam lined up a bloke from about 30 meters away, took off at good pace and jumped in to a fly kick in an all in scrap between the teams. The bloke he lined up move when Adam was in the air and umpire was right behind the intended target. Stopped the fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back