Opinion Best PAFC mark ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Randall Gerlach was the best contested mark I've seen, even as a 18 year old he was near on unbeatable. Warren Gary the best in the AFL.
Tredrea didn't have to take many contested marks if memory serves me. His leading and delivery was too good for people to get a hand on him.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Max's mark was in 1972,it was my first ever visit to the bay.Also learnt a couple of new swear words off Fos at three quarter time.
It was unfortunately a long time ago, but I can recall my late grandmother having a clipping of the pic of Max's mark in her footy memorabilia and she passed away in mid 1973, so you are correct that it had to be taken in 1972 and not 74, particularly also if Fos was the coach because his final season at the Maggies was 1973.

Probably wasn't the best mark ever but remember Darren Smith taking a specky at a teaming rain-soaked Alberton one Saturday.
I think it was against Westies and he kicked 5 or 6 goals that day.

Maybe someone with more SANFL Archive knowledge may like to chip in.
I reckon there would be some old footage somewhere.

The Jay Schulz mark in the Goal Square against the Dees at the MCG Round 1 2013 was the best one i've seen from a Port player. Absolutely ridiculous that didn't even get mark of the year, and Jamie Elliot got it instead for a good speccy but nowhere near as good.

A couple of the best marks I've ever seen from other clubs weren't awarded marks of the year either. Nick Riewoldt in 2004 and Andrew Walker in 2011.
Most courageous from another club would have to go to Jonathan Brown against Hawthorn.

Russel Ebert over peter marker at west lakes. Had the drop on marker from behind rose to take the mark with vice like grip. The mark not a speky but epitomised strength and power (excuse the pun)

I was talking to a former team mate of Randall's a few years back and he said the sound of his hands hitting the ball for a mark was like nothing he had heard.

Some great memories of Randall in this thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Jay Schulz mark in the Goal Square against the Dees at the MCG Round 1 2013 was the best one i've seen from a Port player. Absolutely ridiculous that didn't even get mark of the year, and Jamie Elliot got it instead for a good speccy but nowhere near as good.

A couple of the best marks I've ever seen from other clubs weren't awarded marks of the year either. Nick Riewoldt in 2004 and Andrew Walker in 2011.
Well, when Matthew Lloyd's backwards kick from a metre or so out, beats Motlops goal at the Gabba, it's almost like the judges are biased against us or just don't have a clue what they're doing.

Well, when Matthew Lloyd's backwards kick from a metre or so out, beats Motlops goal at the Gabba, it's almost like the judges are biased against us or just don't have a clue what they're doing.

Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Not sure if it's the same one, but Max James took a mark in the northern goal square of Glenelg oval in 1974 which is still the highest I have ever seen, and is still the best for me since the Brian Luke mark at Thebarton oval in the early 1960's which I also saw live.

I was standing on the mound directly behind the goals, and Max just went straight up and took a two handed grab with his arms fully outstretched and his sprigs level with the top of the head of the Glenelg defender, who had also jumped in the air.

It was a spectacular grab, and a grainy pic which appeared to have been taken from the members' stand wing and was printed in the Sunday Mail the next day showed the mark as James was on his way down from the peak height at which it was taken.
That Max James mark was the best mark I have ever seen. I was by the fence on the outer wing

I liked Nick Riewoldt's from 2004 a bit more. Andrew Walker's 2011 and Shaun Smith 1995 the 2 best hangers.

I agree.

Brown's was a great mark, but he had some idea what was coming and was reasonably well grounded and braced when he took the mark.

If you look at the Riewolt mark closely, he did not his eye of the ball for a second as he ran all of about 15 metres tracking the ball all the way. Then he launches himself at it like a scud missile, head first, with absolutely no idea or regard for what was coming his way.

Last edited:
You want to see a courageous mark, check out around 1.17.30 of this video. David Hutton poleaxed by Darren Jarman in the 1990 prelim final.

Some big Scott Hodges marks and North filth in that game including Klomp breaking Rohan Smith's jaw.

It was unfortunately a long time ago, but I can recall my late grandmother having a clipping of the pic of Max's mark in her footy memorabilia and she passed away in mid 1973, so you are correct that it had to be taken in 1972 and not 74, particularly also if Fos was the coach because his final season at the Maggies was 1973.
20231221_151011.jpg

A bit left field but one guy who had an amazing leap was Trent Ormond-Allen, we were playing Sturt on a Friday night at Adelaide Oval and he took an absolute screamer on top of a pack 10 metres from the boundary line from where I was sitting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back