Opinion Best PAFC mark ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Great find Ford, but I reckon that is the pic taken when James was on the way down because he was much higher than that when he first grabbed the ball.

Had a bit of time to kill in the city today, went and checked the Microfiche collection at the state library.

Game was 22 July 1972 at the bay oval. The pic was on the back page of the Sunday Mail. Literally the last page I looked. :D

Microfiche. Love it. Takes me back.

My bad, the newspapers are on microfilm. Anyway, they've computerised the readers - still have to thread the film through an external source but the images are on a computer screen. Much more civilised.

He took that mark over the two tallest players on the field, if his boots were head high that was an insane jump.

There was also a pic of Randall Gerlach going for a mark, but he was hidden by the four bay players he flew against.

Great find Ford, but I reckon that is the pic taken when James was on the way down because he was much higher than that when he first grabbed the ball.
James was probably half way down when that was taken. I was standing near the fence on the north-east half forward flank and can remember his boots being higher than Leon Mildes shoulders.

James was probably half way down when that was taken. I was standing near the fence on the north-east half forward flank and can remember his boots being higher than Leon Mildes shoulders.
It's good there are at least 3 posters on here that witnessed Max Jame's mark live, me from directly behind the goals, you from the north east half forward flank, and another poster from the opposite flank because ala the Brian Luke mark it probably had to be seen to be believed.

With the excellent pictorial evidence of the Luke mark though (which was also posted by Ford Fairlane) Port supporters who weren't around at the time can see that pic was taken at exactly the right moment.

I agree.

Brown's was a great mark, but he had some idea what was coming and was reasonably well grounded and braced when he took the mark.

If you look at the Riewolt mark closely, he did not his eye of the ball for a second as he ran all of about 15 metres tracking the ball all the way. Then he launches himself at it like a scud missile, head first, with absolutely no idea or regard for what was coming his way.

Milne lucky to come away from that without a broken face.

You want to see a courageous mark, check out around 1.17.30 of this video. David Hutton poleaxed by Darren Jarman in the 1990 prelim final.

Some big Scott Hodges marks and North filth in that game including Klomp breaking Rohan Smith's jaw.

It always shat me that Port had the 'dirty' reputation but teams like that Roosters mob and the mid-eighties Glenelg lot were never given the same reputation, well not outside of Port supporters at least.

It always shat me that Port had the 'dirty' reputation but teams like that Roosters mob and the mid-eighties Glenelg lot were never given the same reputation, well not outside of Port supporters at least.
Outside of Granger I never thought we had any "dirty" players. Tough players, but not dirty. Nobody of the ilk of Salisbury, Stringer or Sims.

Had a bit of time to kill in the city today, went and checked the Microfiche collection at the state library.

Game was 22 July 1972 at the bay oval. The pic was on the back page of the Sunday Mail. Literally the last page I looked. :D

Spare time? Library? Microfiche? Ease up Grandpa. :p

Outside of Granger I never thought we had any "dirty" players. Tough players, but not dirty. Nobody of the ilk of Salisbury, Stringer or Sims.

The Stringers were the biggest dogs I've ever seen. Way worse over their careers than Granger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 1991 Grand Final between North and West was a disgrace. Had Port been one of the competing teams there’d be hypocritical Bays still clutching their pearls over it.

Then there's Klomp and Antrobus as well.

I went to the 3 Glenelg v North grand finals (was there only as it was arranged through my local junior footy club) from 85 to 87, and looking back I remember it as basically 3 big brawls interspersed by the occasional passage of football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back