akneal

All Australian
May 1, 2012
woop woop
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
So I just watched the Beams interview on Fox and it got me thinking how good he was in the back half of 2012.
I was born in 97 so only started following footy seriously in about 05-06 so I probably missed the absolute best of Buckley. As much as I love Swan and Pendlebury I'm pretty happy with saying the second half of his 2012 season from Beams was the best patch of form I've seen from a Pies player in my lifetime.
So what is the best form from a pies player you've seen? Make your own rules. It can be a whole year or even more. Or it can even be as little as a 5 game patch to half a season.
What's the best footy you've seen from a pies player??

Peter Daicos 1990

Kicked 98 goals from the forward pocket.
Maybe my memory is a little rose tinted, but I feel like almost every second week he would kick a goal so extraordinary that it could have won Goal of the Year in another season.

Honorable mention to

Dane Swan 2012 H&W Season.

30+ Disposals in every game bar 1 (when he got 29).
40+ Disposals 6 times.

I’m sure others will be able to trump it, but for me it was Taz in early 03. There was an 8 week stretch where he was unstoppable. At one point in that run he made Scarlett look like Dawson on Rocca (16 mark’s, 8 of them contested and 4 goals) and he averaged a tick under 11 marks a game. His last match in the stretch v St Kilda was a 22 possession 17 mark and 6 goal straight performance!

Peter Daicos 1990

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alan Didak late 2010. From memory it was about 5 games in a row where he dominated and when someone asks this sort of a question those games are always 1st to spring to mind

Yep Swan in 2012 was underrated as f*ck. His disposal numbers per game that season were slightly down on Tom Mitchell right now, yet had the explosiveness and goal kicking ability Mitchell doesnt seem like he will have have.

Finished 2nd in the brownlow that year, 1 vote behind Mitchell and Cotchin, who played 2 and 3 more games than Swan.

He could have easily won 4 Brownlows between 2010-2013 if a couple things went his way.

Peter Daicos 1990

Kicked 98 goals from the forward pocket.
Maybe my memory is a little rose tinted, but I feel like almost every second week he would kick a goal so extraordinary that it could have won Goal of the Year in another season.

As good as Daicos was in 90, from round 18 to 23 in '91 he kicked 8, 8, 13, 6, 5. Averaged 8 a game for a 5 week patch from half forward...

Ya know looking back after all these years and considering St. Kilda's then current coach I've half forgiven O'Dea. . Half.

Consider the circs for a minute . . .

Basically the first minute of the game, John gets awarded a free kick and kicks it down field . . . then is coward hit from behind.

That had to have been under instructions.

And his coach has had a long history along that line since.

St Kilda - for honouring O'Dea - have my complete and utter contempt.

Getting back to patches of form . . . how about an entire career length patch of form . . . . . . .

Peter Daicos . . . . there simply are no words.

Dale Thomas's first half of 2011 was exceptional

Swanny in 2012 had a stretch of 42,38,43,31,40,49,37. Crazy numbers

Buckley. Watching him hit players lace out from 50-60m away. Never see it today in modern footy but he was hitting moving targets with absolute precision on the run on a weekly basis. Of the current crop De Goey is probably the most "watchable" player. He leads from behind the defenders and cuts them up with his running patterns. I'd also consider Sidebottom as very "watchable" when he's on the run. You know hes going to try something cool but it's always a coin flip if it'll work or not.

Just thinking out loud it's scary how much I underrate Pendlebury... Or is it overrate? I just EXPECT him to do weird matrix time warp voodoo and seemingly never get pinged for holding the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back